The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

I’ve previously had a hip done and maybe because I was that bit younger didn’t find it as daunting. Good luck with yours. I did imagine I might listen to music as distraction in hospital but didn’t feel like it in the end.

Will give the Warerboys another listen this week but looks like it did very well without needing me to nudge it upwards
Well, I am 24 hours past mine and back on enjoying the additional reviews of AGDCFF as well as UCL action while recovering at home. What a City comeback just now!

I am glad I both was able to come home from a day procedure, so there was no night in the hospital listening to the music. In fact, I hardly had time at all for that.

However, I do have an interesting experience (at least to me) that I'm still trying to understand.

As I was being wheeled into the OR and saw all the tools along the wall, I was thinking, wow, hope the anesthesia works well! Well, I don't remember anything being said or spoken after that as the spinal injection and initial sleep aid was incorporated.

This is then the part I'm still mulling over....

As I wake up afterwards, I'm being wheeled back into a recovery room, and I'm hearing music in my head.
This is the Gods-honest truth, this is what my mind is hearing...

Once you were tethered
Well now you are free
That was the river
This is the sea!

(over and over in my head again)

The weird thing is I didn't have any of that album or song playing since the weekend before last. In fact, on the way there I had the latest The National - Laugh Track album playing (as I know the Mrs. wouldn't be a fan of this week's selection, even if I get to pick the music on the way to my surgery).

Just strange that was the song I was thinking of upon first waking up, and I don't know why. So it is no guess at which selection got cued up in the car going home. Because that was the river... ;-)

I’ve said it before – the brief window where hip-hop artists could rip off beats and clips copyright-free was a golden age where anything was possible.

Since then I’ve rarely found much in the genre listenable because – for about the millionth time I’ve said it – hip-hop is so often “poetry” first, music second, and that’s not me. As such, the words themselves better amaze or delight me, make me laugh a lot, move me to tears or deep thought, or the backing beats have to have a ton of juice. And if artists can create both, they can create records I can really like, because so much hip-hop is movement music, which – once again for the millionth time – I prefer to sit-and-listen music.

Eminem figured this out, and probably other artists have too (ahem . . . MIA), but to be fair, like many others here, once work and family took over my time in the mid-90s, whatever was popular musically drifted far into the haze for me. So I’m sure I’ve missed some hip-hop I like. But because so much that I have heard is thin musically, wading through the thousands of post-Public Enemy/Run DMC/Beastie Boys artists seems a daunting and not especially interesting task.

But here I am forced to pay attention (which is – once AGAIN for the millionth time – one of the reasons I love this thread). This record demands you concentrate, because the spare beats are slow and languorous, like sauntering down the street (Street?), not dancing down it. Complaints about swearing seem absurd to me – that’s how people talk, FFS; we’ve all been to pubs and football matches, haven’t we? – but once I do pay attention to the stories/chapters, what am I left with?

A definite interest in hearing the plot roll forward though not much in the way of cleverness word-play-wise. A chuckle or two ("Could Well Be In"). Smething that is supposed to be funny but wasn't ("Fit But You Know It"). Some specifically Brit terminology I had to look up ("What Is He Thinking?"). Some seemingly endless prattling which I suppose I'm supposed to mistake for darkness (I think) ("Empty Cans").

I get the idea of an average-to-below-average normy telling his story, which is as well-worn as the path down the Roman forum. But maybe I feel like I need more emotional depth even if the idea is that the emotional depth is the narrator's lack of self-awareness for most of the record, albeit he has some legitimate beefs and is self-aware enough to be self-deprecating. But in the end this is a record about nothing for the sake of being about nothing.

That's okay. Seinfeld – one of my favo(u)rite sit-coms – was quite famously “a show about nothing”, and I – AGAIN FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME – typically prefer the small and tight to the big and declamatory when it comes to pop and rock, though plenty of music can be the soundtrack to revolutionary change (like PE’s music was). I suppose more than a few plays might change my mind to the upside . . . but like Our Hero, I'm too tired, but because I'm too busy, not too bored, and a few listens doesn't necessarily mean more are worth it. Is the investment worth it?

Well, at least I did have one over-arching sense -- one of nostalgia. Ahhh . . . to be young and careless . . . errrrr, care-free . . . again. 5/10.

Last edited:
Like a poundshop prophet ranting in the wilderness, one more post and then i'll not darken your towers again. It's in response to B&W&BMT's review because I'm really glad someone has picked up on and used the word 'vulnerable' .

Finally got a couple listens in today after a long Thanksgiving weekend with family in town mixed in with generous amounts of EPL and CFB on a rivalry weekend in the States. The CFB rivalries did better than the EPL draw, but what I'll take from this weekend was spending time with family that isn't something to take for granted once they've become adults.

I've read all of the spoilers after listening and can agree on Points 1 and 2 by @threespires. I found myself thinking this was a comedy album as I had genuine smiling and laughter in listening to some of the songs for the very first time.

From the first track "It Was Supposed To Be So Easy" - Today I've achieved absolutely nought.... I should've just stayed in bed, like I know how. It definitely paints the picture of a character way in over his head.

"Could Well Be In" was another... I saw this thing on ITV the other week... hilarious jumping ahead going on to the song title. Wish I had someone I could always rely, some to get lost chattin to all night. Pretty honest and vulnerable there.

In "Not Addicted", I won't forget the Now I don't know the first thing about football, but my Instincts tell me this is my windfall.... I'm mad glad I didn't back that match. Really appreciated that song in the story it was conveying on gambling and addictions.

These were the very first times I had ever heard any of these, and wasn't sure if I was hearing the backdrop to a Guy Ritchie film or an episode of Top Boy, but I found the words, pacing and music to be quite real. Is it something I enjoyed for the most part? No, but I did find it authentic.

The second to last song of "Dry Your Eyes" might be my favorite of all. I actually thought Mike did fine singing in Dry your eyes mate... and was actually hoping the chorus would be sung and not spoken, and that part really worked for me.

The final song on "Empty Cans" paid off on both the humor and tie-ins to the album title of AGDCFF and the super tennants drank during the day. The singing too at the end of the album was a good way of closing it.
But something that was not meant to be is done, And this is the start of what was.
Indeed, and well sung.

I'm by no means an expert on The (UK) Streets that Mike raps/sings about. I'll be reading more of the reviews and better insights than I can offer, but I will say I got this, it's not my favorite genre, but I can see and appreciate the artistic value. And y'all know where I'm from. ;-)

It's a 5/10 for me, and I've enjoyed reading the various perspectives on this one.

Why I Love This Album #3 – Relatability in it's different forms

I think this album has relatability in tons; though clearly I'm in the minority in this. The first level of relatability we've already discussed in the everyday minutia. I can't imagine there's anyone in this thread who hasn't muttered and swore whilst rummaging for their phone or had the "no I can't think of an example of when you last did the annoying think you do, but you do do it and it is annoying" conversation. My life growing up wasn't a facsimile of young mikes but to me there's enough in the detail to connect to his human frailty that we all suffer from.

Which brings me to the more daring level of relatability in one of its broader themes. Today it's commonplace to hear people talking about male issues such as mental health, the fragility of a masculine mask and admissions of vulnerability. 20 years ago, it really wasn't as commonplace and certainly it wasn't used as a core theme in a piece of music in quite as unvarnished a way as this does. I think it was @supercity88 who said this album was ahead of its time and at least in the UK I think that is true.

He's far from the first artist to sing of male vulnerability, Otis Redding’s voice conveyed it without even saying specific words and I'm pretty sure that some 90's rock genres focus on male angst and there's a decent thread of socially conscious rap that addresses it too these days. But I'm not sure anyone before or possibly even since has articulated this in such a blunt matter of fact fashion as Skinner. It is simply a struggle for young mike to get by and he’s not faux angsty about it, he's pretty honest that he's a bit all over the shop.

@southamptonblue mentioned something about it being positioned as "represents the times and feelings on the street" and that he felt that was baloney but I don't think that is what it is about at all. Somewhat ironically there is nothing 'of the street' or attempting to be cool in this album and I don't think there was ever any intention to make it so. If it's hip-hop at all it's the least hip hip-hop album ever made. I think it was @GornikDaze 's cousin who said it was a story that is "funny and sad in equal measure" and I would suggest there is no little pathos in there (and btw – your cousin is clearly the kind of chap who would elevate the quality of person on this thread!).

Personally the only way I think you wouldn’t find some relatability in young mikes vulnerability and at times desperation as he tries to navigate his relationship and feelings are if you were either (a) such a handsome bastard that you had girls falling at your feet during the entirety of your formative years or (b) a sociopath with zero self-awareness. For those not feeling this album at all, I'll leave you to decide which camp you fall into ;-)

Now for the confusing bit. I have never quite managed to put my finger on why this album appeals to some people and not others. I've come at it from a few angles, obviously the music genre and style is a significant thing but I've come across loads of people who have no time for hip-hop but genuinely appreciate if not love this album. I know a few people who like hip-hop in general but absolutely hate this. I have tried to find a correlation between all sorts of things like geography, other music preferences, upbringing and even class but I've never managed to pin it down. Tbf it's not a hole I want to dig further in this thread but as I said to Rob earlier, it continues to fascinate me.

Why I Love This Album #4 – It defies categorisation

So if I had to pick one thing I love most about this album it's simply the fact that Skinner decided to create it in the first place. In terms of genre it's hard to pin down a single definitive reference point

Is it hip-hop, sort of
Is it a concept album, sort of
Is it opera or spoke word poetry, sort of
Is it a bit poppy, sort of

Ultimately it is just the output of a then upcoming artist, with potentially quite a lot to lose by screwing up, counterintuitively deciding, f**k it I'm just going to do what I want. As I’ve already mentioned, If anything, I'd say it's true spirit is really that of punk. Skinner, aside from one wayward descent into popstar twattery (see poor third album, life imitating art), has always been his own man with a real DIY ethos. His first album was made in his bedroom; so was this, albeit a swankier bedroom I guess given the success of the first. 20 years later he's released a film, it's taken him best part of a decade because guess what he's decided to make and then edit it himself on his computer in his room.

On the subject of DIY, if I manage to behave myself, Santa is bringing me an Arturia midi controller for Christmas and revisiting this album and its ethos this week has inspired me to have a crack at my own middle-aged BM inspired version. I’ll be cordially inviting Rob, Bob, Benny, Gornik and SB to provide backing vocals should they so desire.

Last edited:
While this one seems to have taken a pounding, as maybe threespires would have partly expected, he has managed to inadvertently create something else this week, for us all.

When I nominated this I did say might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. The hanging was as I expected, the drawing I wasn't overly surprised, but I'm not going to lie the quartering did take me a little by surprise!

Shame you can't give a score for your own nomination. I reckon it's an eight or a nine, maybe even nine and a half in four beers time.

I'll get me coat.

Like a poundshop prophet ranting in the wilderness, one more post and then i'll not darken your towers again. It's in response to B&W&BMT's review because I'm really glad someone has picked up on and used the word 'vulnerable' .

I think this album has relatability in tons; though clearly I'm in the minority in this. The first level of relatability we've already discussed in the everyday minutia. I can't imagine there's anyone in this thread who hasn't muttered and swore whilst rummaging for their phone or had the "no I can't think of an example of when you last did the annoying think you do, but you do do it and it is annoying" conversation. My life growing up wasn't a facsimile of young mikes but to me there's enough in the detail to connect to his human frailty that we all suffer from.

Which brings me to the more daring level of relatability in one of its broader themes. Today it's commonplace to hear people talking about male issues such as mental health, the fragility of a masculine mask and admissions of vulnerability. 20 years ago, it really wasn't as commonplace and certainly it wasn't used as a core theme in a piece of music in quite as unvarnished a way as this does. I think it was @supercity88 who said this album was ahead of its time and at least in the UK I think that is true.

He's far from the first artist to sing of male vulnerability, Otis Redding’s voice conveyed it without even saying specific words and I'm pretty sure that some 90's rock genres focus on male angst and there's a decent thread of socially conscious rap that addresses it too these days. But I'm not sure anyone before or possibly even since has articulated this in such a blunt matter of fact fashion as Skinner. It is simply a struggle for young mike to get by and he’s not faux angsty about it, he's pretty honest that he's a bit all over the shop.

@southamptonblue mentioned something about it being positioned as "represents the times and feelings on the street" and that he felt that was baloney but I don't think that is what it is about at all. Somewhat ironically there is nothing 'of the street' or attempting to be cool in this album and I don't think there was ever any intention to make it so. If it's hip-hop at all it's the least hip hip-hop album ever made. I think it was @GornikDaze 's cousin who said it was a story that is "funny and sad in equal measure" and I would suggest there is no little pathos in there (and btw – your cousin is clearly the kind of chap who would elevate the quality of person on this thread!).

Personally the only way I think you wouldn’t find some relatability in young mikes vulnerability and at times desperation as he tries to navigate his relationship and feelings are if you were either (a) such a handsome bastard that you had girls falling at your feet during the entirety of your formative years or (b) a sociopath with zero self-awareness. For those not feeling this album at all, I'll leave you to decide which camp you fall into ;-)

Now for the confusing bit. I have never quite managed to put my finger on why this album appeals to some people and not others. I've come at it from a few angles, obviously the music genre and style is a significant thing but I've come across loads of people who have no time for hip-hop but genuinely appreciate if not love this album. I know a few people who like hip-hop in general but absolutely hate this. I have tried to find a correlation between all sorts of things like geography, other music preferences, upbringing and even class but I've never managed to pin it down. Tbf it's not a hole I want to dig further in this thread but as I said to Rob earlier, it continues to fascinate me.

So if I had to pick one thing I love most about this album it's simply the fact that Skinner decided to create it in the first place. In terms of genre it's hard to pin down a single definitive reference point

Is it hip-hop, sort of

Ultimately it is just the output of a then upcoming artist, with potentially quite a lot to lose by screwing up, counterintuitively deciding, f**k it I'm just going to do what I want. As I’ve already mentioned, If anything, I'd say it's true spirit is really that of punk. Skinner, aside from one wayward descent into popstar twattery (see poor third album, art imitating life), has always been his own man with a real DIY ethos. His first album was made in his bedroom; so was this, albeit a swankier bedroom I guess given the success of the first. 20 years later he's released a film, it's taken him best part of a decade because guess what he's decided to make and then edit it himself on his computer in his room.

On the subject of DIY, if I manage to behave myself, Santa is bringing me an Arturia midi controller for Christmas and revisiting this album and its ethos this week has inspired me to have a crack at my own middle-aged BM inspired version. I’ll be cordially inviting Rob, Bob, Benny, Gornik and SB to provide backing vocals should they so desire.
I have read your posts with interest and they are brilliant. And I 100% appreciate the care you put into your perspective. And it sways me too.

But let me offer up something as well — in an age in which nearly everyone can make and distribute art with production values, everyone can participate in popular discourse and (seemingly) everyone thinks that access to the stage now open to all therefore means one should avail oneself of its use, as an audience member, I want to hear voices on it that I don’t hear usually on topics and issues and experiences that I don’t usually think about. If not — if you’re going to pursue the mundane and universally-experienced and “relatable” as your mise-en-scene — then you better be clever or you better have hooks to bring it home. And this record doesn’t have enough of either IMO.

That said, this record deserves points for relatability anyhow and — to your point — for being hard to pigeonhole.

And you’ve inspired me to take the leap I’ve not dared yet make and offer up a record with a LOT of similarities thematically done via the DIY “channel” but in a very different voice with very different music . . . .

Last edited:
I have read your posts with interest and they are brilliant. And I 100% appreciate the care you put into your perspective. And it sways me too.

But let me offer up something as well — in an age in which nearly everyone can make and distribute art with production values, everyone can participate in popular discourse and (seemingly) everyone thinks that access to the stage now open to all therefore means one should avail oneself of its use, as an audience member, I want to hear voices on it that I don’t hear usually on topics and issues and experiences that I don’t usually think about. If not — if you’re going to pursue the mundane and universally-experienced and “relatable” as your mise-en-scene — then you better be clever or you better have hooks to bring it home. And this record doesn’t have enough of either IMO.

That said, this record deserves points for relatability anyhow and — to your point — for being hard to pigeonhole.

And you’ve inspired me to take the leap I’ve not dared yet make and offer up a record with a LOT of similarities thematically done via the DIY “channel” but in a very different voice with very different music . . . .

Funnily enough, and as someone who has often questioned what 'a hook' is, I thought this album had more than most albums on this thread I have listened to. Spires is right when he says, certain lines, as clumsy and simplistic as they are, stick.

Is it hip-hop, sort of

Ultimately it is just the output of a then upcoming artist, with potentially quite a lot to lose by screwing up, counterintuitively deciding, f**k it I'm just going to do what I want. As I’ve already mentioned, If anything, I'd say it's true spirit is really that of punk. Skinner, aside from one wayward descent into popstar twattery (see poor third album, art imitating life), has always been his own man with a real DIY ethos. His first album was made in his bedroom; so was this, albeit a swankier bedroom I guess given the success of the first. 20 years later he's released a film, it's taken him best part of a decade because guess what he's decided to make and then edit it himself on his computer in his room.

That was a very interesting read. A few times over. Through most of that though, (i.e you liking the vulnerability, honesty and openess, relatability, roughness etc), I found myself thinking one thing. You should really listen to more Frightened Rabbit stuff. I've mentioned it before, although musically quite different, that was something this album reminded me of, and that's always a welcome with me.

I think that is a very valid argument indeed. I suppose I was alluding to this myself with my fatuous comment about using my (hopeful) Christmas present to create the BM equivalent. The capability of the technology for the money is truly impressive and broadly speaking that 'democratising' impact is a good thing imo. However artistic merit is not a function of technology and we already see a downside in the volume of generic pap making it harder to find content of real merit.

Ultimately, I think you only need one album with the merits I've ascribed to AGDCFF. I appreciate that for you and for most others it isn't hooky or incisive enough to be that album but for some possibly never to be understood reason it resonates with me.

Are you going punk with your choice then?

When I nominated this I did say might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. The hanging was as I expected, the drawing I wasn't overly surprised, but I'm not going to lie the quartering did take me a little by surprise!

Shame you can't give a score for your own nomination. I reckon it's an eight or a nine, maybe even nine and a half in four beers time.

I'll get me coat.
Whilst it wasn't for me, I accept that you've fought valiantly for your nomination, and I commend you for it.

As for the quartering - there are six of us who have given it the dreaded "one", and this has undoubtedly led to the low score. If you look at who those people are:

Me, OB1, bennyboy, BimboBob, GornikDaze and SouthamptonBlue

I would say we all like a good guitar solo - or more generally, like to hear a band playing their instruments.
Quibbles about the swearing and subject matter aside, the lack of real musicians displaying their chops is what has sunk this album.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.