The are we allowed the "it's quiet" thread yet? thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great PR for them in the meantime though, with a high profile player like Pogba being linked to them. It sends out the message that they're "back". When the euros have ended no doubt the annual rumours about Ronaldo returning will start up again.

At the end of the day we can't control what united do, they've signed some good players and will no doubt get a few more. But we've got a stronger squad (even if it has underperformed in the last couple of years) as a base and we are building on it.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc are all going to strengthen. We've just got to trust the people running the club that they are doing what's right for City. They've delivered on Pep, so I'm sure whoever else comes in will strengthen us. Bonucci and Kroos on top of the players already brought in would be incredible though.

I'm not sure it is great PR for them to be honest. Not at all. It's nice while everything's up in the air, but when Real Madrid make a world record signing of Pogba, and we make a British record signing of Kroos, while they are empty handed... It's going to be very apparent to everyone that they aren't the big dogs, or "back".

In fact I'd go so far as to say if it all happened as the transfer window reached its peak, United getting mugged off by Real and Pogba would probably undo the image boost of current signings.

There's a tendency to think United are doing everything for the benefit of image or money - but that assumes that they are being run by competent professionals who know what they are doing. And as we know, that is not Ed Woodward.

Much more likely, Ed and Mourinho are just throwing money at Pogba through hope or desperation.

They are getting chatted up by a pimply gyppo whist trying to knock over skittles that have been glued down

No cuddly toy for them

To be fair to them they've signed Ibra, Mkhitaryan and Bailly. The first two aren't nobodies and the third is still quite young. If we make the rumoured signings we'll have had much the better summer but I think wait before writing them off.

To be fair to them they've signed Ibra, Mkhitaryan and Bailly. The first two aren't nobodies and the third is still quite young. If we make the rumoured signings we'll have had much the better summer but I think wait before writing them off.

The thing is..in a weird role reversal..Nited are now like we were in 2008..no real draw barring the money..which they are throwing at the wall and seeing what sticks

Some shit will stick..the retiring Ibra for example

Most will just tell them to get to fuck

In fact anyone with any ambition

I'm not sure it is great PR for them to be honest. Not at all. It's nice while everything's up in the air, but when Real Madrid make a world record signing of Pogba, and we make a British record signing of Kroos, while they are empty handed... It's going to be very apparent to everyone that they aren't the big dogs, or "back".

In fact I'd go so far as to say if it all happened as the transfer window reached its peak, United getting mugged off by Real and Pogba would probably undo the image boost of current signings.

There's a tendency to think United are doing everything for the benefit of image or money - but that assumes that they are being run by competent professionals who know what they are doing. And as we know, that is not Ed Woodward.

Much more likely, Ed and Mourinho are just throwing money at Pogba through hope or desperation.

It is great PR for them if they manage to carry it off... I don't think it will happen, but if they are talking to Pogba's agent then there is something in it. They demonstrated with the Di Maria and Mata transfers that they are happy to throw money at the problem if that's what it takes.

I take your point that if Real beat them to Pogba it will be a blow, but they can still bleat on that they were legitimately in for him. You know what the media are like they will run with whatever bollocks Mourinho tells them.

Perhaps there is a certain element of desperation about it, signing Zlatan on a free isn't something I would have expected during the Fergie era. But their dealings this window have been a lot smoother than the last few years, which might indicate that Woodward has learned from previous errors.

The thing is..in a weird role reversal..Nited are now like we were in 2008..no real draw barring the money..which they are throwing at the wall and seeing what sticks

Some shit will stick..the retiring Ibra for example

Most will just tell them to get to fuck

In fact anyone with any ambition

But....but.....but this is Manchester United remember,the biggest club in the whole wide world.........................honest

The first 2 do have major, major question marks.

Ibrahimovic's record against decent teams is not great, and United fans shouting about his 50 goals last season will be crestfallen when they find out the Premier League doesn't have the equivalent of Troyes.

And as for Mkhitaryan, no doubt a great player last season, but also a delicate flower who couldn't adapt to Germany, and was laughably bad under Klopp. His resurgence under Tuchel was brilliant, but I'm not convinced he's going to hit the ground running, or even walking. Mourinho probably won't have the patience to stick with him if he doesn't (see Cuadrado, Salah, KDB, Pedro, Schurrle etc).

All of their transfers have the sense of a gamble about them. Will the 35 year old still be good enough? Will Mkitaryan repeat last season or 14/15? Bailly is an obvious gamble with only 40 professional games in his life.

Maybe it'll all come off and they'll get CL next season, maybe it won't.

It is great PR for them if they manage to carry it off... I don't think it will happen, but if they are talking to Pogba's agent then there is something in it. They demonstrated with the Di Maria and Mata transfers that they are happy to throw money at the problem if that's what it takes.

I take your point that if Real beat them to Pogba it will be a blow, but they can still bleat on that they were legitimately in for him. You know what the media are like they will run with whatever bollocks Mourinho tells them.

Perhaps there is a certain element of desperation about it, signing Zlatan on a free isn't something I would have expected during the Fergie era. But their dealings this window have been a lot smoother than the last few years, which might indicate that Woodward has learned from previous errors.

They'll get slaughtered if they miss out on Pogba. It's bad PR. They shouldn't be putting their name in the hat for these players. The rag fans are deluded, they'll truly believe they're about to dominate again. They don't see Mourinho for the short term manager he is - they've chosen to ignore the decline most clubs he manages go through when he leaves - the turmoil from his departure. They're buzzing over signing a free agent who is past his prime and though he tore up the French league was more than manageable when City played PSG and is only getting older. Ed Woodward has already looked a clown for the flying home from Australia bollocks that he spouted about some signing or something major that was supposedly happening. He'll look a clown on this.

I can't see why Pogba would want to go back to United considering how they treated him. They might pay him more but when Real are knocking, why would he turn down his idol (and an equally hefty pay cheque) and more chance of success?

Do we expect we would have to wait for any Pogba deal with Real to be finalised before we could sign Kroos or would it be irrelevant?

@Ric @tolmie's hairdoo

Just thinking along the lines of who we would want to win tonight then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.