The are we allowed the "it's quiet" thread yet? thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot hangs on what Pogba does and the inactivity of a few clubs shows how important his decision is to what everyone else does eg he goes Madrid, Kroos becomes a realistic target for us. If he goes the scum, we invest that money elsewhere. It feels like loads of clubs business will be determined by Pogba with them all having different scenarios to turn to.

We don't have to give squad slots to players we don't want if we've got too many players for the available slots.
Problem with that is we are paying big wages for players such as kolarov and bony; also can't imagine it would do much good for morale at the training ground having players who aren't being played; might be best to just loan them out with an option to buy at the end of the season

My hope and my true belief is that August is going to see transfers flying off everywhere. As many have said, the summer tournaments and new TV money in the PL are certainly holding up players and transfer discussions. Deadline day could really be something this year...

My hope and my true belief is that August is going to see transfers flying off everywhere. As many have said, the summer tournaments and new TV money in the PL are certainly holding up players and transfer discussions. Deadline day could really be something this year...
If we're still doing business on deadline day I'll be pretty disappointed

I think the window as a whole has been very slow, not just from our point of view. Whether that's because of the Euros/Copa America and players getting extended breaks or because of the new TV deal which means clubs overseas are pricing Premier League clubs out of buying their players....just seems very slow compared to other years.

Copa America
Euros
Copa Libertadores
Olympics

If you're looking to buy top players,chances are they've been playing in one of those competitions or with their NT training for the Olympics. That's what complicates things before we talk about holidays and such. Liverpool are buying players who's NT aren't in the real serious parts of continental competitions (Sané,Matip & AFCON) or players who didn't make Euro squads of players who's NT didn't make it, Wijnaldum .

Same with United, Bailly(AFCON) or Micky Terrian, Armenia will probably never get close to Euros makes it a bit easier.

An example of the quality we are after, Colombia are currently ranked 3rd and Moreno was apart of their Copa America squad, major part of his club's Copa Libertadores run which finishes on the 27th and would've been called to the Olympic squad had we not told them to relax(allegedly) all at the age of 20.

Or Gabriel Jesus being talked about as the best player out of Brazil since Neymar, currently leading his club towards a title and going to be a key player in the Olympic squad.

I know what you mean but they are not mutually exclusive.

I've explained before why I favour something of an overhaul of the first team squad but there are valid arguments for not making lots of changes. Also, change can come from within, it would be wonderful if Angelino and / or Maffeo prove to be good enough to freshen up our full back options.

We have signed Pep to take us to the next level and part of that should be the effect that his coaching, motivational skills and tactics have on our existing players. if he could, on average get 10% or more out of those resources, we would be back to being formidable in the league. However, the more that City can do to help him by their moves in the transfer market, the better. For example, I think it is possible that Nasri could do a fantastic job in central midfield in terms of retaining possession with his passing game but I can't guarantee it; if we bought Kroos to do that job,I'd have no doubt about him fulfilling the role successfully. No idea though if we are / were genuinely interested in Kroos but Pep is undoubtedly a fan of his.

Thanks for the reply - yes, I wouldn't disagree with the thrust of that at all. I'd certainly like to see more of Maffeo for one, and I'd also love it if we could find a way of keeping Nasri involved on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.