The battle for 4th place

Status
Not open for further replies.
United won't win every game and I think with Kev and a few others back we will start scoring for fun again. I'm not sure about Chelsea away but I think there is 3 points in every single game to the end of the season. United have Leicester at home and Spurs and West Ham away coming up, it would take a big performance to come away with wins in those. I reckon we have about 5/6 wins left in us to the end of the season which puts us on around 70 points, give or take a few that should just about do it I reckon.
I am confident we will do it especially now that De Bruyne is back. At home with KDB we should be a lot stronger than we have been in recent weeks.

But PSG tie makes life difficult in the league. We'll pick up injuries from that tie. Bound to. Could be a very intense game which could physically and mentally drain us. Or we could beat them and get a huge lift as a result

We have 7 games left and we play them 1 at a time. In all 7 games we will have the better team on the field assuming we don't suffer any more injuries.

Yes Chelsea could be tough, but the rest should be won with the correct application. I see us beating WBA, Stoke and Arsenal at home. I see us at least drawing at Chelsea and beating Newcastle and Southampton away before the final game at Swansea, that may well be a dead rubber in the sun with any score is possible.

In short, I expect 16 from 21 for a 4th place or 18/19 from 21 for a 3rd place finish.

Of course the fly in the ointment could be CL progression and distraction from the Premier League campaign. I personally don't fear failing to qualify for next year's CL and think many on here are only horrified at the prospect, as it could be United who steal the place.

If Guardiola is the magnet we're led to believe then the players will come. It also give a chance for our younger players to taste 6 high standard competitive European matches before Xmas, in addition to the League Cup ties, whilst leaving the top players to solely concentrate on the Premier League.

Nobody can deny that the progression of Spurs this year is down to their younger players being given opportunities in last season's Europa League.

Remember things are neither good nor bad, they are just things, and it's us as individuals that decide in our own minds if they are good things or bad things.

Personally, I believe if we come out of this campaign with a trophy in the bag and Guardiola in the pipeline bearing in mind the crippling injuries we sustained then it is pretty good. Don't let's get into this 4th place is a trophy rubbish that Arsenal sell their fans.

United will not get s trophy for 4th place, they will however have to start their season mid late June with tired players from the Euro's, they will have to panic buy and to cap it all they will probably join our EDS in the Europa League post Xmas :-)

We have 7 games left and we play them 1 at a time. In all 7 games we will have the better team on the field assuming we don't suffer any more injuries.

Yes Chelsea could be tough, but the rest should be won with the correct application. I see us beating WBA, Stoke and Arsenal at home. I see us at least drawing at Chelsea and beating Newcastle and Southampton away before the final game at Swansea, that may well be a dead rubber in the sun with any score is possible.

In short, I expect 16 from 21 for a 4th place or 18/19 from 21 for a 3rd place finish.

Of course the fly in the ointment could be CL progression and distraction from the Premier League campaign. I personally don't fear failing to qualify for next year's CL and think many on here are only horrified at the prospect, as it could be United who steal the place.

If Guardiola is the magnet we're led to believe then the players will come. It also give a chance for our younger players to taste 6 high standard competitive European matches before Xmas, in addition to the League Cup ties, whilst leaving the top players to solely concentrate on the Premier League.

Nobody can deny that the progression of Spurs this year is down to their younger players being given opportunities in last season's Europa League.

Remember things are neither good nor bad, they are just things, and it's us as individuals that decide in our own minds if they are good things or bad things.

Personally, I believe if we come out of this campaign with a trophy in the bag and Guardiola in the pipeline bearing in mind the crippling injuries we sustained then it is pretty good. Don't let's get into this 4th place is a trophy rubbish that Arsenal sell their fans.

United will not get s trophy for 4th place, they will however have to start their season mid late June with tired players from the Euro's, they will have to panic buy and to cap it all they will probably join our EDS in the Europa League post Xmas :-)

Great post blue

The thing is that even if we miss 4th I don't think players would want to avoid coming here because we have Pep and he is the best coach in football period. Plus if you look at our targets in Gundogan and Laporte, both of them arn't playing CL football right now and wouldn't mind not having that. Only a few players would not want to come if we don't get into CL, probably Pogba, Kroos at a stretch. Rags managed to nab Di Maria without European football. Don't think we need to worry much, getting Pogba will be a task in itself and I personally don't see it happening even if we do manage to get CL.

I must admit that the other week the thought of not finishing in the top 4 felt like it would be a devastating blow but with the recent talk that Pep is coming in regardless of our finishing position then I'm a lot more relaxed about it. That said, I'm sure Pep would sooner we were in the CL than the EL and the prize money is important to the club but on the flip side, not finishing in the top 4 means he has a lower starting point and more of a free hit.

In any case, Saturday was far more promising than of late - hopefully we can keep it up against WBA and see where we are after that game.

There were signs on Saturday that gave cause to remain positive. We can beat anybody on our day - the question is how often are we going to be on our day in the remaining fixtures. On paper, next weekend could give us the little bit of daylight needed to push on.
Unfortunately, not knowing which City will turn up remains.

4th is a bit of drag though isn't, having to change summer plans around qualifying and of course making sure you win that tie.
So here's a conundrum for you, what would you prefer finishing 3rd if it meant United finishing 4th, or finishing 4th if it meant United finishing 5th??

4th is a bit of drag though isn't, having to change summer plans around qualifying and of course making sure you win that tie.
So here's a conundrum for you, what would you prefer finishing 3rd if it meant United finishing 4th, or finishing 4th if it meant United finishing 5th??
4th end of.

There were signs on Saturday that gave cause to remain positive. We can beat anybody on our day - the question is how often are we going to be on our day in the remaining fixtures. On paper, next weekend could give us the little bit of daylight needed to push on.
Unfortunately, not knowing which City will turn up remains.

We've not struggled against most of the bottom team this season, its the teams at the top we've been terrible against. Assuming we lose to Arse and Chelsea but win the rest we should be ok. Southampton is a worry though, we a re due a loss down there!

We've not struggled against most of the bottom team this season, its the teams at the top we've been terrible against. Assuming we lose to Arse and Chelsea but win the rest we should be ok. Southampton is a worry though, we a re due a loss down there!
Yeah I know we've been getting points on the board against the lower placed teams. I meant more in the manner we played, with KDB back in the fold it opens up our game much more than we've been able the last 10 weeks.
It really does come down to keeping everyone fit for the remainder of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.