The big clearout!

It isn't and I have some sympathy for Txiki in that regard but you can get the overall strategy right. It's quite legitimate to ask why we've let the squad get in such a state instead of a gradual refresh. That isn't supposed to happen under a DoF.

I think you could make a strong argument for it being deliberate. Pep is known to like a smaller squad and to pad it out with younger players. The current squad situation makes it possible to bring in top quality players for the first team without clogging up the pathway for the younger players and keeping the wage bill stable, possibly even reducing it.

Whether it was deliberate or not only Txixi knows.

So once again the overall opinion seems to be throw good money at it.............. no wonder people are beginning to think we are just a cheque book club. We need to build a squad from within and stop tinkering about and just get on with the job of building a team spirit. To keep saying this player's too old and that player is too old is nonsense, look at Jermaine Defoe, look at how good Frank Lampard was for us and they have been considered too old as far as some people are concerned. Zaba, Kompany (& please don't give me that bull about him being too 'fragile', if he is fit to sit on a bench, prowl the touchline, he is fit enough to play) Nasri, Hart etc are all fighters and within there we have 3 leaders. Joe might have blotted his copy book by being over enthusiastic at the Euros but I'd sooner have that than the insipid way they come out of the tunnel these days at the Etihad!!

Cheque book recruitment isn't the best strategy. We need motivators, we need players who bleed blue blood. That's what I want for City. Because whatever anyone says it is Manchester City we fight for.

So once again the overall opinion seems to be throw good money at it.............. no wonder people are beginning to think we are just a cheque book club. We need to build a squad from within and stop tinkering about and just get on with the job of building a team spirit. To keep saying this player's too old and that player is too old is nonsense, look at Jermaine Defoe, look at how good Frank Lampard was for us and they have been considered too old as far as some people are concerned. Zaba, Kompany (& please don't give me that bull about him being too 'fragile', if he is fit to sit on a bench, prowl the touchline, he is fit enough to play) Nasri, Hart etc are all fighters and within there we have 3 leaders. Joe might have blotted his copy book by being over enthusiastic at the Euros but I'd sooner have that than the insipid way they come out of the tunnel these days at the Etihad!!

Cheque book recruitment isn't the best strategy. We need motivators, we need players who bleed blue blood. That's what I want for City. Because whatever anyone says it is Manchester City we fight for.

Can't see Fernando staying. Pep hasn't used him for months.

I can see the following being surplus to requirements but how many we can shift is open to debate.

Hart
Bravo
Caballero
Zabaleta
Clichy
Sagna
Nasri
Mangala
Denayer
Fernando
Delph
Toure
Nolito
Navas
Bony
Aguero? (I wouldn't get rid but can see him going)
Kelechi (poss on loan)

The season after both Fernandinho and Kolarov should go.

That's 19 players.

Out:

Hart, Bravo, Sagna, Zabaleta, Clichy, Kompany, Mangala, Toure, Fernando, Nasri, Navas, Nolito, Bony

Send on Loan:

Gunn, Adarabioyo (if he signs a new contract), Denayer, Angelino, A. Garcia, Iheanacho, Moreno

The remainder of the squad would be:

FIRST CHOICE NEW KEEPER
Caballero
FIRST CHOICE RIGHT-BACK
Maffeo
FIRST CHOICE LEFT-BACK
BACK UP LEFT-BACK
Stones
FIRST CHOICE LEFT SIDED CENTRE-BACK
Otamendi
Kolarov
Fernandinho
DEEP LYING CENTRE MIDFIELDER
Gundogan
Delph
Mooy
Silva
De Bruyne
Stirling
Roberts
Sane
BACK UP LEFT-WINGER
Aguero
Jesus

In terms of the Champions League squad, we have 7 "free" slots available so all of the required signings above can be foreign signings. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to make one an association trained player though just to give us a bit of wiggle room, especially if we subsequently decide that Maffeo or Roberts aren't sufficient as back up options. We might not need/want to keep both Delph and Mooy but i would give both a full pre-season with us and potentially let one of them leave nearer the transfer deadline.

I'd be planning to keep Aguero and Otamendi, but if the likes of Real Madrid make us a good offer for either and adequate replacements were attainable, i'd be open to the idea of cashing in, especially with Otamendi. However, it feels like we've got enough on our plate to be dealing with so it would take big money to make either an attractive proposition.

Uplifting post but unfortunately it is clear some of our players are running in treacle - so they either don't have the pace required for the modern game or they are indeed too old.
The two players you mention and other great older players are more like exceptions to the rules, that's why they stand out. They're usually given very different roles and have to fit perfectly into a system.
As distasteful as our hypocritical rivals have made it sound - cheque book recruitment is necessary in this case, but I would like to see some academy players to compliment it too.
Point taken about leaders and building team spirit; Too often we're touchline focused.

It will be an absolute purge and seemingly all factored since last summer.

I'm not a financial expert but it's being allowed to unfold this particular way to enable us to literally buy a new core squad in Pep's image.

The sums some of our squad have been earning for a number of years is truly staggering and it could be closer to £50m-a-year in savings that will come off the books this summer.

That's a lot of wiggle room.

Uplifting post but unfortunately it is clear some of our players are running in treacle - so they either don't have the pace required for the modern game or they are indeed too old.
The two players you mention and other great older players are more like exceptions to the rules, that's why they stand out. They're usually given very different roles and have to fit perfectly into a system.
As distasteful as our hypocritical rivals have made it sound - cheque book recruitment is necessary in this case, but I would like to see some academy players to compliment it too.
Point taken about leaders and building team spirit; Too often we're touchline focused.

Thank you GM, was a bit wary of posting it. I take your points. Just get frustrated that we seem to be going backwards in some ways and people just seem to think that we have unlimited funds. We have to make our spending count.

If we buy William Carvalho I won’t be impressed at all. He’s slow and not good enough for what we want to be.
Sick of us wasting so much money on players that aren’t up to it.

If we had bought well since 2013 we would be head and shoulders ahead of everyone now.

Its a joke we are where we are with all the money at our disposal.

My point exactly and although probably media rubbish less than impressed with the rumours to date. The others will spend big and go after the best players we need to be right in there. Although can't imagine Pep putting up with not getting who wants else the job is untenable.

I agree with the sentiment but the last few years have also taught us not to make do. I do agree we need a spine and players that are hungry and have some bottle. Also need a leader.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.