fabinho
carvalho
bonnuci
laporte
bernat or mendy
isco
mbappe

That in list is pure fantasy mate

I would like to add that delph,nolito,bravo,kolarov and otamendi are not good enough but will help with home grown rules and the others are utility players or on long contacts. Would like to see some leaders come in van djik/bonucci

I will be in a minority here, but I do believe it was planned like this to a certain extent to give Pep a year to assess and build a young long lasting team team as he wants it.

I'm with you. I've said it loads of times but people keep going on about how the squad should've been "ready" for Pep but in truth to have access to Pep quality players you really need Pep in situ. Yes we got Raz and KDB over the line the summer before, but for the most part i can fully understand why Pep would want to come in and then spend a year building bespoke team to his needs as a coach.

People seem so worried by that out list, for me it's just not a big deal because six of them are out of the contract and most of the rest are out on loan with a clear mandate to find themselves new clubs. Our only issue this summer is getting the players we want through the door, not shifting all the dead wood. That's where Txiki/Pep are going to earn their coin.

The entire bench is off, ditto our players on loan, and I'd say a new back five but for Stones and possibly Willy extended as a backup. I expect Aguero will be off too.

I've said it before, but it's as big a squad refresh as we've seen since the Mancini era and it's no surprise on any given day we can play 5 or more outfield players who were at the club when we beat QPR that day. No other top six club has that problem.

And a question that I understand has been asked in Abu Dhabi.

Despite the rather obvious mismanagement by Txiki (long, ridiculously expensive contracts for aging players that other clubs couldn't/wouldn't replicate, so we have to keep them to the end. Not replacing our full backs etc etc) it's obvious his job is secure as long as we have Pep.

I will be in a minority here, but I do believe it was planned like this to a certain extent to give Pep a year to assess and build a young long lasting team team as he wants it.

Agree completely although right now watching our full backs im at the point of thinking it was failed thinking.

Pep is here for the long term and by that i honestly think he will do more than the 3 years. This squad is now done and has served us brilliantly and the next chapter is about to really begin.

I'm with you. I've said it loads of times but people keep going on about how the squad should've been "ready" for Pep but in truth to have access to Pep quality players you really need Pep in situ. Yes we got Raz and KDB over the line the summer before, but for the most part i can fully understand why Pep would want to come in and then spend a year building bespoke team to his needs as a coach.

People seem so worried by that out list, for me it's just not a big deal because six of them are out of the contract and most of the rest are out on loan with a clear mandate to find themselves new clubs. Our only issue this summer is getting the players we want through the door, not shifting all the dead wood. That's where Txiki/Pep are going to earn their coin.
Thinking about it after I posted it, the alternative view is our transfer policy has been chaotic and Khaldoon and the owners have just let it slide. Looking at our owners that doesn't seem too likely.

How the fuck has that out list been allowed to happen ? It's gross mis managent that we find ourselves in a position where we need to get rid as many players as that all in one go.

Is it really though?

Some of those were completely unforseeable (Agüero, Kompany, Hart).

Some are against the clubs wishes - Nasri (who was asked to stay according to both Pep and Nasri), Tosin.

Some are just at the end of their careers - Yaya, Sagna, Navas, Zabaleta etc.

Some on the list don't need to go and we're just added to make it more dramatic - Fernandinho, Caballero.

The only bits of mismanagement on the list really are Mangala, Bony and Clichy should have gone long ago.

Given that Pep arrived and immediately fucked off our #1 fan favourite keeper and as soon as he could benched our talismanic, best striker in PL history - 2 players which the vast majority of the fans did not expect to fall out of favour - why would anyone assume that if we'd replaced Sagna, Zabaleta, Clichy etc. 2 years ago that those replacements wouldn't also find themselves on the chopping block?

Pep was always going to turnover a huge number of players, the idea that we could have prebuilt him a squad of players before he arrived is laughable really.

And as for the old bastards clogging up the squad, Khaldoon himself said in one of those end of season videos that was deliberate so that the academy players would find it easier to break in. But 2 successive managers have now preferred to play 33 year olds rather than teenagers so that policy was a waste of time.

Last edited:
Thinking about it after I posted it, the alternative view is our transfer policy has been chaotic and Khaldoon and the owners have just let it slide. Looking at our owners that doesn't seem too likely.
Our owners aren't hands-on but brought in two supposed professionals from one of the most successful clubs of the modern era and let them get on with the job.

The Sheikh & Khaldoon don't sit there and worry about City all day. Pep's probably said "This squad is basically a load of shit and I need a complete rebuild" and that's got their attention.

Mistakes have and will continue to be made because football transfers is not an exact science.

Its not Football Manager 17 ;-)

Mistakes have and will continue to be made because football transfers is not an exact science.

Its not Football Manager 17 ;-)
It isn't and I have some sympathy for Txiki in that regard but you can get the overall strategy right. It's quite legitimate to ask why we've let the squad get in such a state instead of a gradual refresh. That isn't supposed to happen under a DoF.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.