The Big Match Revisited (ITV)

As someone who watched City in the 70s (and loved it) some of these TV repeats have been an eye opener. It certainly shatters some myths about so-called great sides of the past. It's like watching walking football and most of the defenders just look like unfit, slow, cloggers. It's no surprise that English international football was a joke for most of the 70s and 80s (post 1970)
There were great individual players of course who, with modern fitness levels, would have been great in any era but you just can't compare 40 years ago with the modern game. There's lots of things I hate about the modern game...but it's not the quality on the pitch.

I fully agree with your excellent post. It's just watching an hours highlights of the goalkeepers booting it up the pitch and lots of throw ins and set pieces !

Talking of goalkeeping gloves, the ones they have today are getting silly (padding to the max) are there rules on them?

00C8D99400000190-0-image-a-30_1542318081297.jpg
Anyone remember a rock group called Sepp Maier's Gloves?

As someone who watched City in the 70s (and loved it) some of these TV repeats have been an eye opener. It certainly shatters some myths about so-called great sides of the past. It's like watching walking football and most of the defenders just look like unfit, slow, cloggers. It's no surprise that English international football was a joke for most of the 70s and 80s (post 1970)
There were great individual players of course who, with modern fitness levels, would have been great in any era but you just can't compare 40 years ago with the modern game. There's lots of things I hate about the modern game...but it's not the quality on the pitch.
It was the introduction of sky TV money that changed things and improved the product on the pitch. The funny thing is despite all these changes to the game and Manchester City (a little later) it doesn’t change your love for your club, it is the one constant.

I don’t know why, but tonight I clicked on this on ITV Hub.

Now as a 52 year old I can just about remember games like this, but omg after so many years of ‘modern’ football so many differences stand out - in no particular order - oh by the way the game is Tottenham vs Sunderland a relegation battle in 1977.

The length of it! These days we either get full matches or ten minute highlights (or even a few minutes on youtube) this was like 30 minutes so basically 90 mins distilled to 30. Back in those days we only saw 1 full 90 minute match a year the FA Cup Final, maybe more if it was a World Cup Year, but this seemed like a whole game, even though it wasn’t.

The pitch! Rubbish.

The Haircuts - also rubbish.

Very tight shorts!

The standard of the football: seemed like a low championship or high division one game to me, even though Glenn Hoddle was playing, but you have to consider the previous points: the pitch and the hair.

Finally: so many times the goalkeeper on either side would do a massive kick up front…. you never see that anymore.

Overall, funny, but I prefer the modern game - Oh and they had loads of people in the ground watching (also with bad hair and bad clothes) we don’t get that these days!

Am I going Lockdown crazy>?

I just found this and its made me laugh - I remember football when it was like this too. Just the FA Cup final was the one live match we got a year (except for the World Cups) and the crap pitches. And the clothes! the 1970s has to simply be the worst decade for fashion, ever.

I think I'm right in saying that nowadays most pitches are not just grass, they are sort of grass interwoven with a mesh - to keep it decent in the winter (or maybe I'm getting muddled up with Wayne Rooney's hair).

One other thing, my Dad once told me they used the goalkeepers kicks to help with the editing, so you see a goaly kickout at say 9 minutes, but it lands at 13 minutes! and that's why there seem to be so many!

Although it probably has more to do with the pass-back rule that was got rid of some years back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.