The Big Match Revisited (ITV)

You never see outfield players wearing ickle gloves either, in these old games or dare I say it: a snood!

I fired up FIFA13 for a laugh on my Xbox 360 during lockdown and had a right laugh as they had animated Tevez in his snood!
No gloves but Keith Weller of Leicester did turn out once in a pair if tights when it was cold and he was protecting an injury. A huge talking point at the time, front page news, “the game’s gone” shouts etc

As someone who watched City in the 70s (and loved it) some of these TV repeats have been an eye opener. It certainly shatters some myths about so-called great sides of the past. It's like watching walking football and most of the defenders just look like unfit, slow, cloggers. It's no surprise that English international football was a joke for most of the 70s and 80s (post 1970)
There were great individual players of course who, with modern fitness levels, would have been great in any era but you just can't compare 40 years ago with the modern game. There's lots of things I hate about the modern game...but it's not the quality on the pitch.
Reply a bit late ,but walking football's a great game for the 'older gent'. A lot more competitive than a lot of people think and it's a bit frustrating as when it's on TV they always seem to show a group of 25 stone 95 year olds who can barely still walk anymore (let alone play sport).
Several of our players appeared to be playing walking football (or more accurately 'can't be arsed football') over the years, but that was probably more 80s/90s. Ya Ya often appeared to just walk around, but he was exceptionally good at it though as he had several other attributes.
Where I play (WF) resembles a 70s pitch/farm yard after a bit of rain in the winter. Most 70s pitches did indeed look very 'lush' in August but by November barely had a blade of grass on them anymore (the Baseball Ground being the 'benchmark')
This ofcourse led to those bloody awful plastic pitches QPR, Luton, Oldham (I think Preston maybe had one???) etc..
where the ball used to bounce about 100 foot in the air! Don't think we won many matches on plastic pitches (didn't win many on grass either though did we at various stages in the past)

Brian moore was a quality commentator, miles better than most of todays shite we’ve to put up with
Brian Moore was footballs version of Richie Benaud, less is more and don't talk for the sake of it.

I never got the love in for Motson as a commentator, an utter bore of a man, Moore and David Coleman, night and day beter.

Brian Moore was footballs version of Richie Benaud, less is more and don't talk for the sake of it.

I never got the love in for Motson as a commentator, an utter bore of a man, Moore and David Coleman, night and day beter.
Funnily enough, I never liked any of Benaud, Coleman and Moore.

Funnily enough, I never liked any of Benaud, Coleman and Moore.
Liked Brian Moore, thought he was pretty decent. FA Cup Finals also didn't seem the same in my opinion without David Coleman simply saying 'one nil' as the first goal was scored.
Slightly more 'obscure' ones I liked on TV, Hugh John's, (think he did more Midlands based teams?) On Radio 2 ( when they did just the 2nd half commentaries) there was Peter Jones and Brian Butler. There was someone called Maurice Ecclestone I believe(?) good commentator but always sounded like he was always out of breath and needed his inhalers!

Liked Brian Moore, thought he was pretty decent. FA Cup Finals also didn't seem the same in my opinion without David Coleman simply saying 'one nil' as the first goal was scored.
Slightly more 'obscure' ones I liked on TV, Hugh John's, (think he did more Midlands based teams?) On Radio 2 ( when they did just the 2nd half commentaries) there was Peter Jones and Brian Butler. There was someone called Maurice Ecclestone I believe(?) good commentator but always sounded like he was always out of breath and needed his inhalers!
I liked Jones and Butler.

At the time, we didn’t appreciate just how good they were, as we were unaware of the dross that we’ve had to put up with since.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.