The biggest away following at City?

gordondaviesmoustache said:
hallstreetblue said:
Do you actually believe that?

That was deffo tongue in cheek mate. Just couldn't find the icon for it ;)
Sorry pal. My sense of humour's deserted me this evening.

Well the official attendance was given at around 48,000. I'm saying there was more. What do you reckon? Charlton only brought a taxi full, but they were only given the top half of the cage.

hallstreetblue said:
hallstreetblue said:
That was deffo tongue in cheek mate. Just couldn't find the icon for it ;)

Well the official attendance was given at around 48,000. I'm saying there was more. What do you reckon? Charlton only brought a taxi full, but they were only given the top half of the cage.
I was in the Main Stand so it's hard to comment with any certainty but the three seated stands were full and the Kippax looked dangerously full (which has been confirmed by those in there) , but as you say Charlton only brought a couple of hundred.

54,000 would be my guess.

hallstreetblue said:

I was in the Main Stand so it's hard to comment with any certainty but the three seated stands were full and the Kippax looked dangerously full (which has been confirmed by those in there) , but as you say Charlton only brought a couple of hundred.

at least mate, like i said i was on the kippax and as a 15yr old it was scary how full it was

hallstreetblue said:

I was stood on a bench at the top of the Platt Lane for the last time, as the following season, they gave it to away fans (fookin joke). Thing is, I don't think anyone actually knew Maine Rd's true capacity and it didn't really help back then, with the club lying through their arses, when the official attendances were announced. Plus back when we used to pay at the turnstiles, when I was a kid, I was asked a few times to just hand over the money and jump the turnstile, so it wouldn't go "click". Didn't think nowt of it at the age, but years after, I thought, them dodgey fookers, rippin off our club.
Yeah, as you said, they were packed like sardines in the Kippax and apparently, that held around 27,000+ 10,000 Main Stand and North Stand and Platt Lane 8,000 a piece, I'd say. So you're deffo not far off with your estimation.

Defoe gotta be Sunderland I was at the game we sang
Loyal supporters to them they wer sitting on doorsteps all over moss side pissed out of their heads
In their thousands top turnouts scunny did a good turnout at com's to be fair to them..

Blue Streak said:
Some of the comments in the Chelsea threads have inspired this! so what do you think has been the largest away following you've seen at City? Obviously these game's will have been at Maine Road rather than the Etihad for the majority of us. Apart from the obvious fixtures against the Rags Sunderland at the end of the 1990/91 seasom springs to mind for me.
sunderland in fa cup match 1973 bigger than league game everton 1965 fa cup could well be most since 1965 25 percent of crowd

Good to read all the memories ref Sunderland, also worthy of note both Newcastle and Sheff Wed had large followings in 83-84. The rags turn out on our return to Division 1 in '85-86, when they won the first 10 straight off (Atkinson in charge of them , Billy McNeill in charge of us, Peter Barnes in a Utd shirt, and 48,773 at the game, including, it pains me to say, loads of them everywhere, and we completely froze and lost 3-0. A bad day. Also Chelsea when the beat us 3-2 at ours late 80's - 40,070 at match including several thousand of them (Taggart scored for us that day). Newcastle had a big following at Maine Road 74-75, when a crowd of over 37,000 saw them beat us 2-0 against the run of play (the game was officially a home tie to Newcastle, but they were forced to play away from SJP due to crowd trouble and pitch invasions at their ground the previous season. They are the ones which spring to mind......

I don't suppose any of them were the most ever but all three teams who got promoted in 83/84 had both the Platt Lane and the corner of The Kippax rammed. Sheff Wed, Newcastle and Chelsea.

I remember talking to some Chelsea at Fulham that year and they reckoned they would have brought at least another 5,000 if the game hadn't been moved to a Friday.

Pretty sure we lost all three of those games too.

Surely the derbeys in the late 70s when they had the platt lane and the far end of the Kippax plus corner?

Or what about the year the north stand was terraced, before the seats were put in, a bit hazy as I was only a kid then....

Wigan brought thousands when we won 1-0 in the Cup in the 1970`s.King Colin got the only goal but they scared the shit out of us, as they were a non league in those days.I remember seeing them play Winsford United on numerous occasions when they were in the old Cheshire League !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.