The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

Gladys was a great singer but I never got on with that oh so smoothly produced soul of the early 70s. Does this one class as Philly sound? I really don't know but it's not for.me.

I do though love acoustic music in many forms. I'm not a fan of real yee haw country, but this is more singer/songwriter territory. It could almost be Shawn Colvin or Sheryl Crowe.

Now if the country you have on offer is Gillian Welch then she is superb. I hope somebody has picked her but regrettably I didn't.

Lucinda's the one who's got my wheels turning

Abit of a "Meh" match here.
Neither doing it for me so I shall go for a pie and Bovril and may not come back until the next match

For me, probably the greatest female vocalist of the 70s, Gladys and the Pips get my vote. Superb vocals and meaningful lyrics.

Two top talents and with fantastically contrasting voices to boot seems a shame to have to pick. Popular as that Gladys Knight song is, it's a bit too smooth/soft focus for me and I'd have probably picked something else, mind as good a song as Cart Wheels is I can think of loads of LW's songs that are at least it's equivalent - sign of a phenomenal artist.

If was something like I Heard It Through the Grapevine or Midnight Train I might have been more conflicted but as it is, LW a relatively easy choice.

Last edited:
Two top talents and with fantastically contrasting voices to boot seems a shame to have to pick. Popular as that Gladys Knight song is, it's a bit too smooth/soft focus for me and I'd have probably picked something else, mind as good a song as Cart Wheels is I can think of loads that are it's equivalent - sign of a phenomenal artist.

If was something like I Heard It Through the Grapevine or Midnight Train I might have been more conflicted but as it is, LW a relatively easy choice.
My favourite of GK and Pips is ‘Walk in my Shoes’

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.