The Bluemoon Song Cup 2023

Ahhh the magic of the cup. The plucky underdog that won through against the odds in the last round comes up against a goliath.
As much as you appreciate the effort and smile with nostalgia at DD, there really is only one winner here. Totally outclassed hy those Good Vibrations

Delia, just a brilliant tune and highly nostalgic for me.
‘Good Vibrations’ is still a decent song, mind. Never quite got The Beach Boys though. I remember as a kid always seeing ‘Pet Sounds’ being positioned as the greatest album ever made by the NME, Melody Maker etc. when I finally got around to listening to it, I’d never been so let down.
I'm working my way through a book called 1001 albums to listen to before you die - some of these "ground breaking classic albums" are utter rubbish!!!

I'm working my way through a book called 1001 albums to listen to before you die - some of these "ground breaking classic albums" are utter rubbish!!!
These albums might have have been ground-breaking at the time but over time through overplay and being churned out on the likes of "Smooth Radio" etc they lose potency. As always, context is key and you have to think about the time and place that these albums were made.

If you listen to music before an album like "Pet Sounds" and music after it, it's striking. It helped to create the idea that an album isn't just 12 singles put together, they should tell a story and it is one of the first concept albums. The vocals, musicianship and production on it is sublime. To create that sound and harmonies - regardless of era - is something else.

Whilst Good Vibrations isn't on the album, I'd say that it easily ranks as one of the finest pop songs ever written and one of the most important pieces of music of the 20th Century - regardless of genre. It literally is one of the first songs that could only be created in a studio. It is one of the songs that signposts music away from the 'simple' pop songs of the 50s and 60s and points musicians to a level of complexity that was previously unheard.

Good Vibrations and Pet Sounds were also hugely influential and it pushed The Beatles to go and make Sgt Pepper which is arguably the most influential rock album made. Without Pet Sounds, pop/rock music wouldn't be the same - it's as simple as that. I'd also add that, quite simply, just 2 or 3 years earlier it wasn't something you could imagine - it literally was groundbreaking.

That said, 60 years later it sounds dated maybe (I love it) but like any artwork, without the context you hear it as a collection of songs and tunes. Without question, it's a hugely important album though. Imagine hearing it for the first time in the mid-60s.

These albums might have have been ground-breaking at the time but over time through overplay and being churned out on the likes of "Smooth Radio" etc they lose potency. As always, context is key and you have to think about the time and place that these albums were made.

If you listen to music before an album like "Pet Sounds" and music after it, it's striking. It helped to create the idea that an album isn't just 12 singles put together, they should tell a story and it is one of the first concept albums. The vocals, musicianship and production on it is sublime. To create that sound and harmonies - regardless of era - is something else.

Whilst Good Vibrations isn't on the album, I'd say that it easily ranks as one of the finest pop songs ever written and one of the most important pieces of music of the 20th Century - regardless of genre. It literally is one of the first songs that could only be created in a studio. It is one of the songs that signposts music away from the 'simple' pop songs of the 50s and 60s and points musicians to a level of complexity that was previously unheard.

Good Vibrations and Pet Sounds were also hugely influential and it pushed The Beatles to go and make Sgt Pepper which is arguably the most influential rock album made. Without Pet Sounds, pop/rock music wouldn't be the same - it's as simple as that. I'd also add that, quite simply, just 2 or 3 years earlier it wasn't something you could imagine - it literally was groundbreaking.

That said, 60 years later it sounds dated maybe (I love it) but like any artwork, without the context you hear it as a collection of songs and tunes. Without question, it's a hugely important album though. Imagine hearing it for the first time in the mid-60s.
I agree with this, and I’ll add that God Only Knows is the most beautiful pop song I’ve ever heard.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.