The Boxing thread

Expecting Canelo's first loss, thought it was draw last time out(infact I'm even tempted to give him round 9 every time I watch that round back it changes), got called a GGG hater just because I didn't join the Canelo bashing weirdly enough but boxing can bring that out in people I guess.

The pantomime of villain and hero is too strong this time out I feel, even if Canelo were to outpoint him, short of a shutout they will never allow his hand to be raised as the masses must have their happy ending. Also if Canelo were to force a stoppage(as highly unlikely as that is) they will say "ah because Canelo cheated... he waited for him to get old ya see". I thought Mayweather had haters(to be fair he's a bit of a prick and deserves some of the stick he gets) but at least he had a large number of proud Americans behind him, Canelo's had the Mexican fans on his back ever since he adopted his defensive fighting style post Mayweather fight, even ex Mexican champs have chimed in over the years telling him how he should fight. Some even booed him in the GGG fight but how they expected him to fight against the biggest puncher in the weight class above all but one of his fights other than defence first I don't know.

It was the same in the buildup to the first fight but they actually have a failed drug test to hold onto this time out, again not steroids and they keep pretending it is regardless but it's hard to defend him on that so some of it is warranted(yet Fury is heavyweight boxing's saviour when he's guilty of worse and he still dodged his UKAD hearing before coming back).

Before that we had Golovkins trainer claim "I saw illegal wraps" what when you watched them do it and made sure the cameras saw you checking it? And you said nothing? Then after the failed test GGG claimed: "I saw injection marks that none of the doctors that check the fighters over did and I said nothing too". I like GGG because he's a good fighter but I don't agree with how blatantly his camp has gone after Canelo's reputation from the off.

I just hope people can appreciate the fight for what it is if it's as good as the first fight and how much it lived up to such massive amounts of hype was a rarity(example Mayweather vs Pacquiao).

He's a cheat. If he wins he's a cheat. I personally hope to god he doesn't but he's got to where he is today by cheating. Contaminated meat my arse.
I've no time for ANY boxer that uses PED's to gain an advantage.

Would it really surprise you if most of them are using them, including GGG, it would at least explain his unnatural power. As much as I loved Pacquiao in his prime his rise up the weight classes wasn't natural either, when something doesn't seem natural there's a reason to be suspicious. I'm not saying they are using them but many ex boxers are coming out and saying most boxers are using them, so perhaps the "there's no way back for this fighter" talk is a bit too much because you could end up going back on that later down the road for all you know. I'm happy to let the license authorities deal out the punishments and perhaps stricter testing on fighters who have fallen foul of the rules from that point onwards.

He wouldn't have been foolish enough to use them this time out either way and the substance used was for dropping weight fast and he's come in lighter than anyone expected so fair play on that. Shows how stupid it was to take the risk on his reputation in the first place and now he's paying the price. He's still young yet, I think eventually most of the hardcore fanbase will get over it, they have with other fighters who did worse down the years after all.

Last edited:
Never liked Canelo. Not when he was beating up on smaller brits, the hopelessly overmatched Hatton or the over the hill Rhodes. Not when he fought the ghost of sugar Shane. Not when he looked tearful and on the verge of quitting against Floyd. Not when he robbed Lara on the cards. Not when he finally agreed to fight the naturally smaller and by then years past his best Cotto. Not when he KOd the much smaller Khan or the domestic level Liam Smith. Not when he insisted on Chavez jr starving himself half to death to make weight. Not when he had the bare faced cheek to pretend the disgusting Adelaide Byrd had seen the ggg fight correctly. And not when he was exposed as a drug cheat.

Hope ggg humiliates him tonight but sadly his signs of decline have been there since the brook fight and I think he may be far enough over the hill to give Canelo the edge.

Seems a fair assessment of his career... think we'll agree to disagree.

He's a phenomenal boxer(not just a fighter) anyone who can't see that isn't worth listening to in my book, there's so many similarities to the constant frankly bullshit excuses that followed Mayweathers career(even claiming losses he never lost, like Lara, like Cotto to name a few shouts that were perhaps closer than the cards suggested but the right man's hand was raised which is all that matters), sooner or later people will have to accept it's just excuses which you can do with most fighters. I mean GGG and Kel Brook is different to Canel vs Khan how? Not different at all you say? GGG vs Danny Jacobs too... those scorecards? Really? That's GGG's Lara, I had Jacobs up personally as did many neutrals.

He already proved most of the know it alls wrong in the first fight in my book("he'll get destroyed in 2 rounds" and other such bullshit) and some are still in an angry denial about it sadly.

Last edited:
Canelo’s a top class operator but his popularity with the Mexican public has given him the financial clout to follow floyd’s cherry picking policy to the letter

I think Lara beat him but it was very close.

Canelo’s a top class operator but his popularity with the Mexican public has given him the financial clout to follow floyd’s cherry picking policy to the letter

I think Lara beat him but it was very close.

He gets a lot of flack from the Mexican fight fans, they want to see him in wars but he's evolved his game, they'll watch him fight like many watch Mayweather, sometimes in the hope he'll lose.

It was closer than the cards suggested as was the Cotto fight(who I'm a fan of and was rooting for), even if that's happening behind the scenes that's Golden Boy not Canelo, he just fights he aint some evil mastermind. I couldn't see Lara winning that at all no matter how many times I watched it personally. Definitely not a robbery either way, much like how I had Jacobs up vs GGG after 12 rounds due to his evasiveness causing him problems all night with good countering. Similar to the Canelo fight in a way but Jacobs got rocked where Canelo didn't take much punishment considering who he was up against(even stood with his back against the ropes hands down slipping for fun).

You’ve named two examples of ggg fights where he either fought a naturally smaller man or edged a questionable decision. I’ve named ten and could’ve added a couple more.

I think that sums up their respective standing in the game regardless of tonight’s result

You’ve named two examples of ggg fights where he either fought a naturally smaller man or edged a questionable decision. I’ve named ten and could’ve added a couple more.

I think that sums up their respective standing in the game regardless of tonight’s result
But I've given good examples regardless(I could have mentioned British fighters who were clearly happy to lose and to have not been flattened just because of his reputation) which highlights exactly what I've been saying(you can do the excuse game with most fighters), I could have said most of the fighters GGG knocked out had no place being in the ring and so on and so on but the point was already made with two big shouts exactly the same as the main ones Canelo get's stick for(Lara and Khan... the rest don't hold much water really). Again I could say GGG should fight Ward but then I'd be a hypocrite I'm just demonstrating what you're doing with Canelo and how easily it's done with other fighters.

The argument that Canelo is really naturally as big as GGG and has been fighting smaller men all his career doesn't add up though, did you not see the obvious difference in size this time around(his natural fighting shape). GGG is clearly a lot bigger than Canelo at their natural weight that's not even up for debate IMO. He makes weight for the weight class he's been in for most of his career so you haven't summed it up fairly at all.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.