The Boxing thread

I've got to fess up I fancied the upset and Garcia to nick it on points but blimey I couldnt give Mikey a single round. Spence was boxing so smart in the first half of the fight just keeping Mikey off with the jab (although I was disappointed at how one paced Mikey was no attempt to change things up) and then the second half of the fight Errol just stuck the burners on. Class

I've got to fess up I fancied the upset and Garcia to nick it on points but blimey I couldnt give Mikey a single round. Spence was boxing so smart in the first half of the fight just keeping Mikey off with the jab (although I was disappointed at how one paced Mikey was no attempt to change things up) and then the second half of the fight Errol just stuck

Mikey was never gonna outbox Spence but thought hed take ut to a brawl and fight in the pocket. Spence kept him at range and won the exchanges. Think Garcia will fight at 140 next, no shame losing to ES but i did expect more.

I've just watched the fight with Russian commentary and have to say I expected the judges to at least give Garcia something. I don't think there was that much between them in the first 4 rounds and a couple were at least close enough for a 10-10 personally(maybe 2 and 4, not that much in it to be fair but give the guy some credit) with Garcia starting better, Spence finishing stronger. Also thought it was harsh for one of the judges to score a 10-8, he was hurt in the 11th but it is a boxing match at the end of the day, save those for when a fighter goes to canvas, takes a knee or looks defenceless in my view.

I suppose it doesn't really matter though, it was still a land slide victory even with a couple of even rounds. Too much of mountain for Garcia, Spence was too good, too big and looked far more athletic in general. I don't think it's the right opponent for Pacquiao at 40 years old but it will probably be a good watch regardless.

I've just watched the fight with Russian commentary and have to say I expected the judges to at least give Garcia something. I don't think there was that much between them in the first 4 rounds and a couple were at least close enough for a 10-10 personally(maybe 2 and 4, not that much in it to be fair but give the guy some credit) with Garcia starting better, Spence finishing stronger. Also thought it was harsh for one of the judges to score a 10-8, he was hurt in the 11th but it is a boxing match at the end of the day, save those for when a fighter goes to canvas, takes a knee or looks defenceless in my view.

I suppose it doesn't really matter though, it was still a land slide victory even with a couple of even rounds. Too much of mountain for Garcia, Spence was too good, too big and looked far more athletic in general. I don't think it's the right opponent for Pacquiao at 40 years old but it will probably be a good watch regardless.

Spence v Crawford is the stand out fight for me at 147. Can see Manny,Thurman or Porter being his next fight.

Spence v Crawford is the stand out fight for me at 147. Can see Manny,Thurman or Porter being his next fight.
Spence Vs Crawford should be special, for that reason they will probably make us all wait a while longer for it. Did they not announce Manny as his next opponent, when he got in the ring afterwards or was that just talking up a potential one?

Spence Vs Crawford should be special, for that reason they will probably make us all wait a while longer for it. Did they not announce Manny as his next opponent, when he got in the ring afterwards or was that just talking up a potential one?

Spence said he respected him and would like to fight him next. Manny agreed but suppose money talks. Think Spence would finish Thurnan early if it happened. Porters style along with Mannys would be a tougher fight but still a win for ES.

Spence said he respected him and would like to fight him next. Manny agreed but suppose money talks. Think Spence would finish Thurnan early if it happened. Porters style along with Mannys would be a tougher fight but still a win for ES.
Thanks and agree with all the above.

Just watched the fight this morning.
The US commentary that came with the ITV4 coverage was absolutely disgustingly biased. Was like Martin Tyler and Gary Neville doing the Manchester Derby to the power of 10.
Sure Spence was an overwhelming winner but there was a chance that Garcia may have got back into it had Spence made a mistake right up until the 9th.
Ruined the fight for me.

I've got to fess up I fancied the upset and Garcia to nick it on points but blimey I couldnt give Mikey a single round. Spence was boxing so smart in the first half of the fight just keeping Mikey off with the jab (although I was disappointed at how one paced Mikey was no attempt to change things up) and then the second half of the fight Errol just stuck the burners on. Class
I overlooked the size difference purely because Garcia is such a classy operator and backed him as the odds looked decent.

But yeh, it wasn't even a contest .....

Just watched the fight this morning.
The US commentary that came with the ITV4 coverage was absolutely disgustingly biased. Was like Martin Tyler and Gary Neville doing the Manchester Derby to the power of 10.
Sure Spence was an overwhelming winner but there was a chance that Garcia may have got back into it had Spence made a mistake right up until the 9th.
Ruined the fight for me.
Ah I was thinking more about the scorecards giving him absolutely nothing. I was only talking about two rounds which were close(so not a travesty he wasn't given anything in them) but giving a couple of even rounds or Garcia the nod would have been a more accurate reflection on how the fight started compared to the second half of the fight, where Spence looked visibly way more assured and dominated the rounds.

I had to watch it the day after and could only find one with Russian commentary. Having said that though, I actually enjoyed it, you do have to concentrate a lot harder, instead of relying on the commentators to call the shots... probably not suitable for 4am ring walks with booze in your system though.

I think there will always be some bias from broadcasters, they all have their vested interests, with the money and high stakes involved. The American ones are particularly bad for it but we can't say Boxnation or Sky Sports don't have any either.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.