The Boxing thread

Terri Harper took a proper punch as well ….out stone cold stood up, not seen that before
Quite enjoying the Dazn coverage to be fair to Eddie and co

I'm not sure what to make of the Galahad upset, firstly well done to Martinez, both beautiful punches, great determination and good ring IQ. Some want to say Galahad was always overrated, others are questioning his chin. Others are noting he came in 1 pound over the weight, despite looking dry. Meaning he had to loose that weight before the fight, when he should have been rehydrating and fuelling up. Which might mean he's finding it harder to make weight and depleting his resistance to do it.

I'm not a fan of his but being fair, he was up on the cards at the time, taking most, if not all of the first 4 rounds(outboxing him overall). He was even winning the 5th round but you could see Martinez was looking to set that right hand over the top up. He was digging to the body with some good shots in the previous rounds, it eventually saw Glahad's guard lower just enough to make room for that shot. He even tried the same punch in round 4.

Galahad really should have seen he was looking for that punch. I also wonder if the first punch in particular, should have affected him that badly, because lets face it, he was saved by the bell and still not with it after the round break. Other fighters, will be looking at that and fancying their chances. Even when they are well down on the cards now, more than they would have done before.

Harper will come again, she's mixed it with too many good fighters to be questioned as a "hypejob". I'd give credit for choosing such a tough, hard hitting opponent after the layoff she had but in hindsight, what were they thinking?

Last edited:

I scoffed at the suggestion that Canelo would attempt to move up to cruiserweight from BT Sport, but they must have known something after all.

I can see people already trying to spin this into a "cherry pick", which is just laughable, just like the Kovalev argument was. Especially if he's not going to have a tune up at the weight and go straight into a title fight, as is expected(often overlooked). To fight a seasoned career long cruiserweight, who's only 3 years older than himself, that can punch(25 KOs from 28 fights), is still a risk, whichever way you spin it. Who else would even risk it from 160 to 168? In fact, I'm not sure those at 175 would. Or else, why haven't they already, if it's a weak division or whatever dismissive remark some want to place on the move?

He's not some amazing cruiserweight like Usyk(would that matter for any other fighter doing the same?) but some so called experts are trying to say he chose the "weakest title holder" at present. When he's certainly not(that's Goulamirian), some would even put Makabu above Okolie based on his age and experience. Both 'The Ring' and Boxrec have him ranked as their number 2 in the cruiserweight division(ahead of Okolie) also.

It's not exactly the fight everyone wanted to be his next fight but it's still one people will watch. Winning the WBC at cruiserweight, will add to his legacy and he's more than earned the right to choose what he wants for that.

The names being touted were:

Charlo,
Andrade,
GGG,
Benavidez,
Bivol,
Beterbiev

There isn't an "easy" fight there, most were mentioned by Reynoso as being considered. Most of those will probably happen. In the mean time, maybe just maybe, it's time for some these fighters to fight each other, to justify why they should be next in line. As it stands, none of them stand above the rest in that respect(belts, PPV numbers, last best win-current stock). All this waiting and passing up of fights to see what Canelo does next, is not on Canelo, it's mostly on them. With the exception of Andrade and Benavidez, who seem like the two most avoided of the waiting line(in their respective divisions). Neither of them do big PPV numbers though and Benavidez had a belt Canelo would have had to come to him for. If he wasn't stripped for not making weight, he might be defending the WBC belt in Canelo's next fight for the final piece of the undisputed puzzle . As it was, there was the vacant WBC belt on the line against Callum Smith. Along with the WBA and 'The Ring' title, that Callum picked up is the World Boxing Super Series Tournament(which earned him his universal number 1 ranking at 168lbs).

Last edited:
Porter announced his retirement

he’s been in some tough fights but always had entertaining style

all the best

I scoffed at the suggestion that Canelo would attempt to move up to cruiserweight from BT Sport, but they must have known something after all.

I can see people already trying to spin this into a "cherry pick", which is just laughable, just like the Kovalev argument was. Especially if he's not going to have a tune up at the weight and go straight into a title fight, as is expected(often overlooked). To fight a seasoned career long cruiserweight, who's only 3 years older than himself, that can punch(25 KOs from 28 fights), is still a risk, whichever way you spin it. Who else would even risk it from 160 to 168? In fact, I'm not sure those at 175 would. Or else, why haven't they already, if it's a weak division or whatever dismissive remark some want to place on the move?

He's not some amazing cruiserweight like Usyk(would that matter for any other fighter doing the same?) but some so called experts are trying to say he chose the "weakest title holder" at present. When he's certainly not(that's Goulamirian), some would even put Makabu above Okolie based on his age and experience. Both 'The Ring' and Boxrec have him ranked as their number 2 in the cruiserweight division(ahead of Okolie) also.

It's not exactly the fight everyone wanted to be his next fight but it's still one people will watch. Winning the WBC at cruiserweight, will add to his legacy and he's more than earned the right to choose what he wants for that.

The names being touted were:

Charlo,
Andrade,
GGG,
Benavidez,
Bivol,
Beterbiev

There isn't an "easy" fight there, most were mentioned by Reynoso as being considered. Most of those will probably happen. In the mean time, maybe just maybe, it's time for some these fighters to fight each other, to justify why they should be next in line. As it stands, none of them stand above the rest in that respect(belts, PPV numbers, last best win-current stock). All this waiting and passing up of fights to see what Canelo does next, is not on Canelo, it's mostly on them. With the exception of Andrade and Benavidez, who seem like the two most avoided of the waiting line(in their respective divisions). Neither of them do big PPV numbers though and Benavidez had a belt Canelo would have had to come to him for. If he wasn't stripped for not making weight, he might be defending the WBC belt in Canelo's next fight for the final piece of the undisputed puzzle . As it was, there was the vacant WBC belt on the line against Callum Smith. Along with the WBA and 'The Ring' title, that Callum picked up is the World Boxing Super Series Tournament(which earned him his universal number 1 ranking at 168lbs).

Depends who he fights at cruiser . If he fights Makubu who bellew destroyed then he is picking the easy option . He needs to stay at light heavy and go for Bivol or beterbiev which he won’t . Canelo is a great fighter but boy has he been well looked after in his career . And another thing that pisses me off is people that say triple g isn’t on near canelo as an over the hill golovkin still went toe to toe with a prime canelo and in many eyes won the fights .

Porter announced his retirement

he’s been in some tough fights but always had entertaining style

all the best
Shawn porter always came for war and even against probably the best fighter on the planet last night still went for it . Makes what kell brook did years ago good .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.