The Boxing thread

Nothing to add to the Murray/Khan argument as ono has pretty much covered everything. Khan would dominate Murray.

On a different topic, Naz flies his barber in from L.A for an urgent haircut.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClZkyV-boQM[/youtube]
He looked like a completely different person after that cut was finished...

Found these earlier and just thought i'd post them. Pacquiao's weights on fight night for every fight since 06. It's interesting because people only ever talk about the fact he's moved up in weight on several occasions. In actual fact, he has, but he's only naturally 5lbs heavier than he was 4 years ago....

IMG]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5373/pacquiaovsmorales.jpg[/IMG]
Pacquiao vs. Morales: November, 2006

pacquiaovsbarrera.jpg

Pacquiao vs. Barrera: October 2007

Picture10.png

Pacquiao Vs. Marquez in March 2008

pacquiaovsdiaz.jpg

Pacquiao vs. Diaz: June, 2008

pacquiaovsdelahoya.jpg

Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya: December, 2008.

pacquiaovshatton.jpg

Pacquaio vs. Hatton: May, 2009

pacquiaovscotto.jpg

Pacquiao vs Cotto: November, 2009. Was reported 148 lbs at Fight night.

pacquiaovsclottey.jpg

Pacquiao vs Clottey: March, 2010. Was reported 149lbs at Fight night.

Looking at that you can see why he's asking for another catch weight for this fight (not that I agree with it). Marg will have a good 10+lb advantage come fight night. Did you see the 2nd episode of 24/7? HBO are either editing the footage very well, or Pac is genuinely having a tough time preparing for this fight.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iONf95qHB04[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeXTKcixAiw&feature=related[/youtube]

Kelly Pavlik has also got injured today and pulled out of his undercard fight on this card.

I disagree Ono, I honestly believe that Murray would wear Khan down and break his heart. The fight would be stopped in eight IMO but I agree that Khan is a quality operator and Murray isn't the biggest puncher. Personally if I was in the Murray camp I'd rather fight Khan over Katsidis any day of the week.

SuperKevinHorlock said:
I disagree Ono, I honestly believe that Murray would wear Khan down and break his heart. The fight would be stopped in eight IMO but I agree that Khan is a quality operator and Murray isn't the biggest puncher. Personally if I was in the Murray camp I'd rather fight Khan over Katsidis any day of the week.
What has Murray done to make you think that? He's been stopping nobody's at lighweight. Khan would just keep Murray at range with his jab and win via a lopsided points verdict, Murray would be lucky to win a couple of rounds imo.

SuperKevinHorlock said:
I think both are bad match-ups for Murray to be honest. Katsidis does everything Murray does but he does it a little better, and he's more powerful with it. And he's also very big for a lightweight.

I don't think Khan's heart can be broken to be honest, not be someone smaller than him anyway. He's a very tough lad. His punch resistance is questionable, but his heart isn't imo. Having said that, you're not the only one who'd fancy Murray, and i can see the theory behind it with Murray being relentless and Khan, in the past, being vulnerable. However, i think Khan has moved on a lot since then, and he would enjoy a big size and strength advantage over Murray, which would make Murray's job much harder.

I'm looking at Murray and i'm looking at the lightweight rankings, and i'm sort of struggling to see what he can do. It's a very tough division for him. Personally i'd love to see him fight Kevin Mitchell, but i don't think that will happen until one of them holds a belt, which i can't see happening for quite a while, unless they get lucky or they somehow get a vacant shot.<br /><br />-- Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:05 pm --<br /><br />
conormcfc said:
Looking at that you can see why he's asking for another catch weight for this fight (not that I agree with it). Marg will have a good 10+lb advantage come fight night. Did you see the 2nd episode of 24/7? HBO are either editing the footage very well, or Pac is genuinely having a tough time preparing for this fight.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iONf95qHB04[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeXTKcixAiw&feature=related[/youtube]

Kelly Pavlik has also got injured today and pulled out of his undercard fight on this card.
Well there was the report last week that said Khan battered Pacquiao in sparring and it had to be stopped because Khan buzzed him quite badly. Then i saw a video with Freddie Roach saying Khan had just slapped the shit out of Pacquiao.

I don't know if it's HBO trying to sell the fight, as many feel it will be uncompetitive. There's been whispers about Pacquiao having a poor camp all the way back from the Barrera fight, so this is nothing new. But on the other hand, it could be true. Roach was saying Politics have changed Manny and his head's just not there, which is odd for a trainer to say.

Fair reply Ono, personally believe we have only seen 90% of Murray and a big fight will see him step up to a 100% and beat Khan. It's all about the chin and I still feel he is very vulnerable. Do you reckon Maidana will land? Let's wait and see. As for Katsidis he is one of my fav fighters of all time alongside Choi Tsveenperev.

SuperKevinHorlock said:
Fair reply Ono, personally believe we have only seen 90% of Murray and a big fight will see him step up to a 100% and beat Khan. It's all about the chin and I still feel he is very vulnerable. Do you reckon Maidana will land? Let's wait and see. As for Katsidis he is one of my fav fighters of all time alongside Choi Tsveenperev.
I know you asked ono but I'll give my views too.

Maidana is actually pretty reckless, he relies solely on his power most of the time. People make the mistake of thinking Prescott floored Khan with 1 punch, when in reality it took 3 huge hooks to put him down. If Khan was to be caught like that again, I don't think you'd see him make the mistake of continuing to trade when hurt, he'd cling onto the opponent for dear life if that happened again. Khan wont get dragged into a war, he'll fluster Maidana with good footwork, his jab and lightning quick combo's. I've got him winning by wide UD or even a late TKO. If Maidana can find Khan's chin with a bomb though, who knows.

As for Katsidis, how do you see him getting on against JMM this month? I'm not sure he can cope with Marquez, especially at lightweight where he's an absolute beast.

Choi is a powerful guy. I remember watching him flatten Derry Matthews a few years back. It was brutal. No wonder nobody wants to fight him. He's as tough as old leather. He's a little wild, but it works for him.

I think Roach and Khan have been working on a plan to prevent Maidana from landing. The fight could go either way. Maidana could catch him and bomb him out, but i think it's more likely that Khan catches Maidana coming in and floors him early, maybe even stop him. Maidana was very reckless against Victor Ortiz and very nearly paid the price (think he was floored 3 times) and Khan is on another level to Ortiz.

You're right about Khan being vulnerable. He never really looks that comfortable going backwards and his defence has never been great. I'm wondering how much the weight bothered him at 135, because that could explain why his punch resistance was so poor.

He had a habit of not knowing where his elbows were which lead to an ineffective guard when he was under Oliver Harrison. This lead to him getting clipped on the top of the head, and almost resulted in Limond ko'ing him. He used to lean his chin over his front foot aswell which badly effects oral stability. It used to make him look clumsy when he had to fight on the backfoot. Roach has fixed a lot of these problems, but it'll be interesting to see how he reacts if Maidana tags him. Will he stick to a plan, or will he revert to type and make the same mistakes?

I hope he wins. It'll be good for British Boxing, and it opens up the door to some great fights in the future if he does it.

Anyone been watching the Fight camp 360 series? It's sort of like the 24/7 programme but focused on the super 6 tournament. it follows all the boxers and promoters around behind the scenes basically. I prefer it to 24/7 tbh, seems less fake.

http://sports.sho.com/fight-camp-360.html You can watch the first 7 episodes on there. Here's a download link to episode 8 that aired on Friday:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZDQ10ASS

Disappointing how the Super 6 has panned out really, especially with the rumours of Dirrell faking his injury so he could get out of fighting Andre Ward.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.