The Boxing thread

Say what you want about Khan but he is a brilliant boxer. Shame about the chin.

Just hope he doesn't go for the ko and gets tagged, he's dominated this and won every round bar maybe 1, just take the points win

Was live at the MGM and it's amazing how shit Khan made Alexander look. Throughly outboxed him the whole fight and Khan will continue to go under rated. This new Virgil Hunter version of Khan could beat anybody.

Limerick's Andy Lee won the WBO Middleweight belt in Vegas last night; stopping the previously unbeaten Russian, Kobarov in the sixth round.
Like most observers, I would've thought that, being 31 now, his chanced had passed him by, especially with that world title defeat two or three years ago. Great to see one of the gentlemen of the sport get his due reward, though.

Not sure if he'll be able to defend it as well as the last Irishman to hold that particular belt, Steve Collins, mind. For one thing, Collins had big bucks to make locally, with the over hyped Benn and Eubank to pick off (winning twice against each, whilst all three were busy pretending a certain Mr Jones jnr wasn't lurking across the Atlantic). There just aren't those sort of box-office names about on this side of the ocean now.

(As an aside, for all the hoopla, Irish world champions generally don't surpass more than one or two defences. I wonder why that is? Or is it just my imagination - anyone know what the average number of successful defences is?).

Lee's mandatory defence will be v Billy Joe Saunders, who happens to be a Traveller. Lee's mother is also a Traveller. So I suppose we can expect some cringeworthy hype around that one! Although, Lee says he wants to defend it in Ireland. What's the betting it'll go ahead in New York on St Patrick's Day?

mad4city said:
Limerick's Andy Lee won the WBO Middleweight belt in Vegas last night; stopping the previously unbeaten Russian, Kobarov in the sixth round.
Like most observers, I would've thought that, being 31 now, his chanced had passed him by, especially with that world title defeat two or three years ago. Great to see one of the gentlemen of the sport get his due reward, though.

Not sure if he'll be able to defend it as well as the last Irishman to hold that particular belt, Steve Collins, mind. For one thing, Collins had big bucks to make locally, with the over hyped Benn and Eubank to pick off (winning twice against each, whilst all three were busy pretending a certain Mr Jones jnr wasn't lurking across the Atlantic). There just aren't those sort of box-office names about on this side of the ocean now.

(As an aside, for all the hoopla, Irish world champions generally don't surpass more than one or two defences. I wonder why that is? Or is it just my imagination - anyone know what the average number of successful defences is?).

Lee's mandatory defence will be v Billy Joe Saunders, who happens to be a Traveller. Lee's mother is also a Traveller. So I suppose we can expect some cringeworthy hype around that one! Although, Lee says he wants to defend it in Ireland. What's the betting it'll go ahead in New York on St Patrick's Day?

Andy Lee was brilliant last night. It was a close fight no doubting it and right up to the KO it was close but I had Lee behind on the card. But there is 1 thing for sure and the last 2 fights have shown this Lee was getting beaten by Jackson last time out and he KOs Jackson with a great 1 shot punch. Last night once he had Korobov going he finished him off. I got Lee to win last night at 9/4 so I was up money. He rocked Korobov and finished him well got to love him as you have said he is a lovely guy. Seem him time and time again at Irish fights and he will sign so many autographys and get in pics with everyone and anyone. Its nice to see good guys getting to be called World Champions. Ireland as a whole has 2 World Champions in Frampton and Lee and its brilliant for boxing on the island. They get fuck all media attention at home more so the Ams would get more attention. But delighted for Lee.

I think the Billy Joe Saunders fight will be a good 1 not been impressed with Billy Joe against Eubank Jnr faded away in the last few rounds he is a great boxer but is he or can he take a punch from Andy who has banged out a good standard of fighters in his last 2. Lee is reminding me of Kiko Marthinez he got beaten by Munroe the binman and Frampton and still went on to win his World title and defended it. I think Lee can do the same and I think a stopage win for Lee I would predict more so if its in the UK as Lee wont win on points in the UK.

As for fights or potential fights for Lee easy money making fight with Mat Macklin would sell out anywhere in Ireland. Then you got the likes of a fight with Martin Murray but hes fighting GGG. A fight with GGG I would put on the long finger for Lee and if he beats BJS then go for Jermain Taylor. GGG wants a fight with Miguel Cotto but dont shocked to see a Lee v GGG fight in the future if both remain unbeaten. I think the job Adam Booth has done with Lee has been brilliant Booth is so under rated as a trainer and he has worked well with Haye , Groves and Lee. I honestly think if Groves was with Booth for the Froch 1 fight then George Groves would of been a World Champion by now. Anyway thats my lot well done Lee job done.

B6SZmQgIUAALaXV.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.