The British Monarchy | Princess of Wales diagnosed with cancer (p396)

We're not though, are we? Not really. Mention anything negative about the monarchy and you get piled on. That's pathetic.
This isnt rocket science. Sometimes it's better to say nothing than something. A very large number of people in our country like the monarchy and they especially liked the Queen, they clearly have a deep connection. So saying negative things during her funeral will always get a big negative reaction or a pile on as you say. Just as it would from you, if people criticised your own family during a bereavement. But people obviously don't do that, so you should pay the same respect to others during this time imo.

After by all means campaign and speak for a Republic as is your right, but to do so during a funeral and period of morning is poor form.

This isnt rocket science. Sometimes it's better to say nothing than something. A very large number of people in our country like the monarchy and they especially liked the Queen, they clearly have a deep connection. So saying negative things during her funeral will always get a big negative reaction or a pike on as you say. Just as it would from you, if people criticised your own family during a bereavement. But people obviously don't do that, so you should pay the same respect to others during this time imo.

After by all means campaign and speak for a Republic as is your right, but to do so during a funeral and period of morning is poor form.
How deep is your connection with Charles?

Asking for future reference.

Had a few replies so I'll just put this here.

I've said nothing on her thread since she died, respectful enough imo
Is 10 days not enough time for people who didn't know her personally to grieve?
I'm not offended in the slightest, other than the fact the people have to pay this.

I have sympathy that they lost a family member, that's it. They're nothing special, it's time people stopped acting like they are.

If the monarchy didn’t want to be abolished I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be, in fact, I believe there is more chance of parliament being abolished than the monarchy.

I asked my friend who was in 1 Para at the time, where his and what he thinks his regiments stance would be if we were in a government vs monarchy scenario. He was very clear, their allegiance is to the queen.

When push comes to shove, that’s who has the power, the commander in chief of the armed forces.

If the monarchy didn’t want to be abolished I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be, in fact, I believe there is more chance of parliament being abolished than the monarchy.

I asked my friend who was in 1 Para at the time, where his and what he thinks his regiments stance would be if we were in a government vs monarchy scenario. He was very clear, their allegiance is to the queen.

When push comes to shove, that’s who has the power, the commander in chief of the armed forces.

Absolute bollocks.

That’s where my perception of Britishness always takes me.
My perception is that British/Monarchy/Military and Empire are all so intrinsically and historically linked and all this pageantry that you revel in, is basically telling the world your story and particularly your importance globally.

I think this is why, from the outside it is looked on with admiration for the show you put on but equally a slight repulsion, not for the history that it represents to certain ex colonies, but perhaps how still, a majority of your citizens drink it in and seem to long for that place in the world again.
This perception while the reality of what is happening in Britain at the moment seems quite different, looking in.

I have great respect for how your Queen performed her stately duties and wouldn’t have a bad word to say in her own thread. I think that respect has been shown from every party on the island of Ireland. Sinn Fein have surprised me in how they have conducted themselves. You get the feeling that their is a genuine respect for her part in trying to secure a peaceful future for the island as a whole.
My own feeling on why, is perhaps the example she showed as a statesman, particularly in the 2011 visit. But this thread is not about her per-say, it the wider issue of the monarchy and it’s future.

Some of the ideas I have in my head might be best suited to the Irish political thread, but suffice to say that as far as Britishness goes, rightly or wrongly, the monarchy still carries a military enforcement weight on it’s shoulders over here, for many.
Royal pageantry is wrapped up in military display.

Had a few replies so I'll just put this here.

I've said nothing on her thread since she died, respectful enough imo
Is 10 days not enough time for people who didn't know her personally to grieve?
I'm not offended in the slightest, other than the fact the people have to pay this.

I have sympathy that they lost a family member, that's it. They're nothing special, it's time people stopped acting like they are.

It's hard for people to stop acting that way though, we're indoctrinated from birth to believe they are something special. Like cults and religions (she was the head of the CoE) it's hard to challenge a belief that has been instilled in you from an early age, even when faced with evidence to the contrary.

There are some similarities between the reactions of the UK media and some of the population, with what we saw in North Korea when Kim Jong-il died.

You should be able to criticise the Catholic Church on the day the Pope dies, regardless if it offends Catholics, and you should be able to question the point of monarchy on the day the head of that institution dies, even if it offends monarchists.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.