The British Monarchy

Just remember no Daily Mail before bedtime or it will be all undone.
I had wondered whether your next line was going to be the Daily Mail one, or GB News. Never a dull moment, eh?

You’re obviously going to keep chirping away, trying to get a rise, but I think I’ve probably humoured you long enough now.

Given how boring this is - not least to others on the thread - do you just want to call me a gammon and we can have done with it? We all know that’s where it’s heading.

I had wondered whether your next line was going to be the Daily Mail one, or GB News. Never a dull moment, eh?

You’re obviously going to keep chirping away, trying to get a rise, but I think I’ve probably humoured you long enough now.

Given how boring this is - not least to others on the thread - do you just want to call me a gammon and we can have done with it? We all know that’s where it’s heading.

Seems like you are afraid of the labels you have chosen to wear. Come out of the closet and set yourself free.

Last edited:
Those figures will have been around 80-20 forty years ago. 90-10 in the years directly following the war. It's a trend that's only going one way; it's all generational. And the vast majority of that 60% will be an older generation who believed the monarchy was the only thing gluing the country together. If you think, with the way the world is heading, that there will still be the same appetite for a hereditary monarchy in fifty years time, then you're plainly wrong in my opinion.

Nothing stands in the way of progress.
Today's idealistic young things are tomorrow's daily mail readers. Generally folk move to the right with age and become more nationalistic/monarchist. Australia for decades has thought they were one generation away from being a republic, but as each generation gets old and grey it narrowly votes for the status quo.

Today's idealistic young things are tomorrow's daily mail readers. Generally folk move to the right with age and become more nationalistic/monarchist. Australia for decades has thought they were one generation away from being a republic, but as each generation gets old and grey it narrowly votes for the status quo.
That's the belief, but I think the gradients of the shift are becoming smaller and smaller. There are two caveats to consider. Firstly, the world (or rather, the West), whether yourself or anyone wants to admit it, is becoming more progressive. Most are products of their environment. I don't think an independently-minded, liberal university student will go on to become staunchly right-wing in later life now. Secondly, what passes as conservatism today isn't the same as the conservatism of years ago. A solid example is women's place in our society. It was once the societal acceptance that women stay at home, wed to the household and the man would be the sole breadwinner; in this day and age, such an attitude is unthinkable. The monarchy is a relic of bygone, conservative values and it isn't going to progress beyond what it represented a hundred years ago, never mind today.

Also, if what you claimed had any weight, the statistics from that article wouldn't read 60/40, but rather closer to the 80/20 I suggested earlier. Their popularity is on a downward trend, albeit a slowly downward trend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.