The British Monarchy

Universal suffrage was not achieved until 1928 and plural voting was not abolished until 1948, so we have not been a democracy for hundreds of years. It is actually a quite young experiment, and that's setting aside the absurd voting system that gives an 80-seat majority to a Party with 43.5% of the vote. (Let us pass lightly over the fact that 43.5% of the vote would not give Labour an 80-seat majority since it takes more people to elect a Labour MP than a Tory one and even more to get a Liberal Democrat.)

Let's also pass over the absurd and indefensible House of Lords.

As for history, Richard the Lionheart will still be in the books even if President Blair was in charge. Which is another thing. Why do people think the UK population would elect a noxious person as President? They might choose Floella Benjamin. At least they could change their mind if the person proved obnoxious.

Brian I will never see it that way round we are a democracy for hundreds of years we have a history second to none, why would I throw that a way on the whim of a few agitators vying for power
Queen Elizabeth said “there are dark forces at work in our country” she is correct people agitating for change
I can vote Government’s out but it has no connection with the Royals they are purely figureheads who go around meeting and greeting they serve our country in all sorts of ways, imagine Boris Johnson trooping the colour or Sunak “arise Sr Paul McCartney” No I’ll never change neither will my family because we can see their value
The RF are like my family on the whole good but changing thousands of years of history does not appeal to me
First of all I don't see what Boris or Paul McCartney have to do with the principal of entitlement and the British class system.
I had to watch The Crown as memsahib is interested in the unelected swill (I swear it's mainly women who feel something for this dysfunctional family).
I noticed in the last episode when it showed Liz & Maggie as young girls going to the Ritz the night when WW11 was declared over.
An American soldier said to Liz "you should come downstairs to the basement (where all the Americans were having a ball) titles mean nothing down there" he didn't know who she was but that statement said it all for me.

Entitlement. I hate it. Dukes, Earls, Viscounts, Lords, Princes, Queens, Kings, owning vast swathes of Britain, whilst upholding the class system. I'm convinced they hate the pathetic flag waving working class who show up at Royal events and couldn't give two shits if you were in a NHS hospital after waiting a few months for your surgery. But we're all supposed to be anxious about Kate being in her private room with the best of the best.
All this elitism is holding Britain back, clinging onto the past and entitlement. They are the upholders of snobbery.

If by chance the public voted/wanted to keep it all (the ones who support snobbery and the class system) then why not reflect on a society where thousands are sleeping under bridges and in shop doorways freezing to death and do away with the enormity of it all, why can't they just live in one tax payer funded Palace instead of having many Palaces/ Castles and thousands of rooms and acres of prime British countryside at their disposal? There current "homes" could be opened to tourists and earn a fortune from admittance fees.
Why should they need around 500 full time staff?

Harry and his Mother were about the only 2 I liked of them all, I don't blame him for pissing off to America, away from his immoral chinless wonder of a Father and his horrible even more immoral Queen.

First of all I don't see what Boris or Paul McCartney have to do with the principal of entitlement and the British class system.
I had to watch The Crown as memsahib is interested in the unelected swill (I swear it's mainly women who feel something for this dysfunctional family).
I noticed in the last episode when it showed Liz & Maggie as young girls going to the Ritz the night when WW11 was declared over.
An American soldier said to Liz "you should come downstairs to the basement (where all the Americans were having a ball) titles mean nothing down there" he didn't know who she was but that statement said it all for me.

Entitlement. I hate it. Dukes, Earls, Viscounts, Lords, Princes, Queens, Kings, owning vast swathes of Britain, whilst upholding the class system. I'm convinced they hate the pathetic flag waving working class who show up at Royal events and couldn't give two shits if you were in a NHS hospital after waiting a few months for your surgery. But we're all supposed to be anxious about Kate being in her private room with the best of the best.
All this elitism is holding Britain back, clinging onto the past and entitlement. They are the upholders of snobbery.

If by chance the public voted/wanted to keep it all (the ones who support snobbery and the class system) then why not reflect on a society where thousands are sleeping under bridges and in shop doorways freezing to death and do away with the enormity of it all, why can't they just live in one tax payer funded Palace instead of having many Palaces/ Castles and thousands of rooms and acres of prime British countryside at their disposal? There current "homes" could be opened to tourists and earn a fortune from admittance fees.

Harry and his Mother were about the only 2 I liked of them all, I don't blame him for pissing off to America, away from his immoral chinless wonder of a Father and his horrible even more immoral Queen.
Very well said. I was away with work this week so missed most of this Kate bollocks; am I supposed to be prostrating myself in anguish because some random toff is in hospital for a procedure? Some of the stuff written about her being admitted, by professional journalists no less, is fucking nauseating and frankly an indictment on our society. Our priorities are so out of kilter it's scary. It's interesting you bring up the US because, for all it's flaws (and there are obviously many), it doesn't really have a class system, and I think that's brilliant. The British seem to cherish "class", and the irony is those who have the class look down and sneer at those beneath them as though they were lint on their lapel.

I've said before Harry is the only one I could imagine sitting down for a pint with. That speaks volumes really.

I wouldn't live in Australia if you paid me. My cousin went there 12 years ago. Her mother and brother too. The last 2 soon came back.
I'd rather have our royal family and live here than living in a fucking wilderness where getting on the property ladder is even more difficult than here.

I wouldn't live in Australia if you paid me. My cousin went there 12 years ago. Her mother and brother too. The last 2 soon came back.
I'd rather have our royal family and live here than living in a fucking wilderness where getting on the property ladder is even more difficult than here.

There is some real nastiness when the monarchy is talked about, to be fair to Bill he's not calling for their death like some have.

What's that got to do with anything, except perhaps having a go at me for living here ?
I have absolutely no issue with you hating Australia, but your post seems to be an attempt to take the thread off it's topic and a tad wummish tbh.

I honestly thought more of you as a poster than that response.

No, he isn't.
But I'm not having somebody preach to me that living in Australia is all fine and dandy.

I couldn't live there because I don't want to be killed by insects or 7 ft Rats :)

Like you I would rather have cream tea with Charlie or Kate.

What's that got to do with anything, except perhaps having a go at me for living here ?
I have absolutely no issue with you hating Australia, but your post seems to be an attempt to take the thread off it's topic and a tad wummish tbh.
Why do you always find fault with the UK?
You are always at it.
I get you don't like some of our customs but you aren't exactly living in a utopia either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.