The British Monarchy

What have worldwide monarchies have to do with well documented polls in the UK showing support for OUR monarchy?

Are you not capable of thinking laterally? Monarchies are on the decline. Why do you think the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas will remain immune to all the reasons that caused almost all monarchies to go extinct?

As I said younger generations care less and less. When the next coronation in ten to fifteen years' time is a wash out like Trump's inauguration you might look a bit daft.

Last edited:
I would disagree with regard to old money not having as strong a foothold in US society - they might not have the titles they possess in the UK, but in terms of their influence, wealth and demarcation from the rest of society, I think it’s at least on a par with the UK.

My own experience of the US is that class and in particular racial divisions are more marked than they are in the UK, even if the US obviously doesn’t have a formal structure around an aristocracy. Whether somebody is called an Earl or Viscount is no real relevance, unless you purposefully take exception to it.
It is relevant though. Titles, or more generally aristocracy, is unconditional wealth and power. It is, to shamelessly steal a popular phrase on this forum, a closed shop. Irrespective of a persons talent, ability, or societal input, they will remain in such a position; this is a grossly stratified class system that tells the rest "they don't belong". By contrast, any wealth or power passed through lineage in the US is conditional. Take the Obama's; his daughters will inherit wealth for sure, but there are no guarantees they will become head of state, nor are there guarantees the Obama wealth and standing will remain indefinitely throughout generations. There's also an affectatious quality attached to our upper classes that we don't really see anywhere else; I find that sickly, but then that's just me.

I won't dispute your claims on race because the US still has burning issues with racism, patently.

Oh look, a Royal is in hospital, they can always find a few spare cops for that..

But not for everyone.

1705793682560.png

Last edited:
I can thoroughly recommend this book.
It's an excellent read.

Attachments

• 9781785906213.jpg
    9781785906213.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 19

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.