The Catcher in the Rye

stony said:
Its been used as an excuse for murderers and has a legendary status in pop culture. I've never read it, am I missing out on something, or is it just the 50s version of Gregory's Girl or the Inbetweeners ?

I've tried to read it on numerous occasions but never got through the whole thing myself as i found it to be boring as fuck.

stony said:
Its been used as an excuse for murderers and has a legendary status in pop culture. I've never read it, am I missing out on something, or is it just the 50s version of Gregory's Girl or the Inbetweeners ?

Actually, it kind of reminded me of a 50's version of Less Than Zero.

First read it when I was 16 and loved it. Re-read it at 31 and it thought it was nowt special. I think that's down to my changing tastes though, and not necessarily a slight on the book.

Incredibly overrated and poorly written novel hyped beyond belief, for reasons I have never really understood.
Holden Caulfield is one of the most irritating characters I have come across, and I wanted him to die by page 17.
It's teenage angst for bedwetting Yanks with rich parents, who's idea of rebellion is playing Slipknot too loud and not tidying their bedroom.
However, it has no curry recipes, which should please the OP.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Incredibly overrated and poorly written novel hyped beyond belief, for reasons I have never really understood.
Holden Caulfield is one of the most irritating characters I have come across, and I wanted him to die by page 17.
It's teenage angst for bedwetting Yanks with rich parents, who's idea of rebellion is playing Slipknot too loud and not tidying their bedroom.

Pretty much sums up how I felt about it too. Maybe it was the hype but I found it underwhelming and yes Caulfield made me want to scream.

Stayed at the Seton Hotel in New York (at 144 East 40th) which is mentioned in the book, it was a bit of a dump (it's been done up over the last two years) but it had the feel of the late 40's and early 50's about it

mackenzie said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:

Pretty much sums up how I felt about it too. Maybe it was the hype but I found it underwhelming and yes Caulfield made me want to scream.

Agree - I read it in my 40's after being told repeatedly to read it.... kept waiting for something to happen and nowt did.......
If I want angst ridden teenage ramblings I will continue to listen to Morrissey ;)

Cheers people, I will dodge it like a salad. There are enough angst ridden drama queens on here, I don't need any more in my life.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.