The Catcher in the Rye

Crab Paste! said:
First read it when I was 16 and loved it. Re-read it at 31 and it thought it was nowt special. I think that's down to my changing tastes though, and not necessarily a slight on the book.

Its like music......when the Beatles first hit the charts they were better then the load of country and western, folk music, like The runaway train came down ......etc

when the catcher in the rye was first published it was soooo much better than a lot of other stuff (other than to kill a mockingbird) other than the sci fi coming out of asimov and arthur c clarke.....

time moves on...........but at the time it was brilliant

Well personally, it's one of my favourite books, though it always gets a fairly mixed reception. Then I guess that's the beauty of being a reader of subjective literature, everybody lives a different life and it'll relate to different people in different ways.

It's pretty clever, and the beauty is that nothing really happens in it. There are no events of real significance, it's just a kind of introspective experience. It will speak to teenagers who grapple with trusting the world around them, when you make that transition from being a kid and believing everything you're told to growing into a skeptical adult who distrusts everybody.

Is the main character a bit whiny? Yeah, probably, but you can't help but feel there's a good reason for it. You can either have sympathy for him and accept that his flaws are a consequence of the society around him, or you can think that his flaws are solely down to his own personality in which case you're probably going to hate him (and the book).

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
mackenzie said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Incredibly overrated and poorly written novel hyped beyond belief, for reasons I have never really understood.
Holden Caulfield is one of the most irritating characters I have come across, and I wanted him to die by page 17.
It's teenage angst for bedwetting Yanks with rich parents, who's idea of rebellion is playing Slipknot too loud and not tidying their bedroom.
However, it has no curry recipes, which should please the OP.

Pretty much sums up how I felt about it too. Maybe it was the hype but I found it underwhelming and yes Caulfield made me want to scream.

Agree - I read it in my 40's after being told repeatedly to read it.... kept waiting for something to happen and nowt did.......
If I want angst ridden teenage ramblings I will continue to listen to Morrissey ;)
Another plus one. I somehow persevered and the final fifth of the book is just about worth reading but how it's rated as an all-time classic, fuck knows.

3 books I read cover to cover through the night at 15 years of age.
Brighton Rock.
Lord of the Flies.
Catcher in the Rye.
I have read Brighton Rock a few times and find it stands the test of time, never bothered with the other two don't know why.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KT68-sVW5c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KT68-sVW5c</a> The Rifles Catch her in the rye

If you are serious about reading literature, especially 20th century American, you need to read it. If you are not so keen, and you don't see it in context, you're not going to get much out of it, so that's fair enough, but not really sufficient reason to declare it over-rated or rubbish, is it? Age also modifies your perceptions of things. For example, I liked 'Two Little Boys' and 'Where Eagles Dare' about 40 yeqrs ago.
Salinger did write other stuff - notably his short story 'Bananafish' is superb - and it adds another layer to see the characters in Rye reappear in other works, rather like the Batemans in Ellis' stuff.

hackneyslim said:
If you are serious about reading literature, especially 20th century American, you need to read it. If you are not so keen, and you don't see it in context, you're not going to get much out of it, so that's fair enough, but not really sufficient reason to declare it over-rated or rubbish, is it? Age also modifies your perceptions of things. For example, I liked 'Two Little Boys' and 'Where Eagles Dare' about 40 yeqrs ago.
Salinger did write other stuff - notably his short story 'Bananafish' is superb - and it adds another layer to see the characters in Rye reappear in other works, rather like the Batemans in Ellis' stuff.

Although I do agree about the context and age aspect, I still don't really see it as the masterpiece that some claim. It isn't rubbish but it's certainly isn't great.
I think the best thing I can say of it is that it was probably ground breaking of its time. However, To Kill A Mocking Bird is so much better and has stood the test of time where Catcher in the Rye hasn't.

mackenzie said:
hackneyslim said:

Although I do agree about the context and age aspect, I still don't really see it as the masterpiece that some claim. It isn't rubbish but it's certainly isn't great.
I think the best thing I can say of it is that it was probably ground breaking of its time. However, To Kill A Mocking Bird is so much better and has stood the test of time where Catcher in the Rye hasn't.
Perhaps the subject matter affects it? TKAMB deals with racism, an issue which hasn't gone away, and in some sense the rite of passage/loss of innocence ideas were already familiar. It's a great work with familiar tropes. But CITR, in introducing the teen/family theme, has been overtaken by other works which developed the theme as society changed?
Example in music, say, might be New York, New York which remains a classic and is still performed, and Rock around the Clock, which is regarded with affection but is no longer played so much.

hackneyslim said:
mackenzie said:
hackneyslim said:

Perhaps the subject matter affects it? TKAMB deals with racism, an issue which hasn't gone away, and in some sense the rite of passage/loss of innocence ideas were already familiar. It's a great work with familiar tropes. But CITR, in introducing the teen/family theme, has been overtaken by other works which developed the theme as society changed?
Example in music, say, might be New York, New York which remains a classic and is still performed, and Rock around the Clock, which is regarded with affection but is no longer played so much.

Agree with all of your post.

However, I do think that really great pieces of literature transcend any age, culture or setting. In that they speak to a common strand that runs through humanity throughout the ages.

IMO the greatest literary works are the ones that transcend their setting and address the things that matter to all people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.