The Catcher in the Rye

I must have bought ten copies over the years and people have always borrowed them and kept them. Likewise, when I worked in libraries people took it out and never returned it. Same with On the Road. When people steal a book, then it shows its value. Kids stealing books to me is like hungry pensioners scrumping apples. It's absurd, it belies the popular concept of theft. I laugh every time somebody steals a book because I know that to steal it, it had to have put a hook in them. The book stole itself. If you don't understand that, you never will.

johnny on the spot said:
I must have bought ten copies over the years and people have always borrowed them and kept them. Likewise, when I worked in libraries people took it out and never returned it. Same with On the Road. When people steal a book, then it shows its value. Kids stealing books to me is like hungry pensioners scrumping apples. It's absurd, it belies the popular concept of theft. I laugh every time somebody steals a book because I know that to steal it, it had to have put a hook in them. The book stole itself. If you don't understand that, you never will.

On the Road

more like it

Remember reading it all in one go as a teen. At first I thought 'what a load of shite' but then I thought it wasn't all that bad. I'd just expected something to happen in the book right up to the last pages.

johnny on the spot said:

Perhaps some of them were just used as bog roll? ;-)

mackenzie said:
johnny on the spot said:

Maybe so, but in our library they did steal a lot more toilet paper than books.

johnny on the spot said:
mackenzie said:
johnny on the spot said:

Maybe so, but in our library they did steal a lot more toilet paper than books.

The Guinness book of records holds the record for most stolen book from libraries.

johnny on the spot said:

Not trying to be funny or anything but why would you buy a book ten times that you've already read?

Barcon said:
johnny on the spot said:

Not trying to be funny or anything but why would you buy a book ten times that you've already read?

Before I went all electric and got a kindle, I've bought the same book more than once. There are a couple of books I like so much that I re-read them and they eventually get battered and pages fall out. When that happens I replace them.

stony said:
Barcon said:
johnny on the spot said:

Before I went all electric and got a kindle, I've bought the same book more than once. There are a couple of books I like so much that I re-read them and they eventually get battered and pages fall out. When that happens I replace them.

Ok, I won't watch a film I've already seen personally and I don't really read that often. I don't usually have the time for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.