The Centurions 93.01

It literally makes no difference. Literally no difference at all.
For the accomplishment itself, you are right. We will have done it regardless if it is widely mentioned or oft-celebrated.

But from a club perspective, it makes quite a bit of difference. They will want that moniker (and the accomplishment itself) referenced as often and as prominently (promotionally) as possible.

I suppose we just may be coming at this from two different angles, both perfectly valid, but perhaps somewhat opposed in the targeted outcome. One is from a pure historical fact and supporter experience perspective and one is from a club branding, marketing, and general business perspective. I tend to skew my analysis to the latter at times as it is close to my work, but I still fully understand and support the former, as well.

For the accomplishment itself, you are right. We will have done it regardless if it is widely mentioned or oft-celebrated.

But from a club perspective, it makes quite a bit of difference. They will want that moniker (and the accomplishment itself) referenced as often and as prominently (promotionally) as possible.

I suppose we just may be coming at this from two different angles, both perfectly valid, but perhaps somewhat opposed in the targeted outcome. One is from a pure historical fact and supporter experience perspective and one is from a club branding, marketing, and general business perspective. I tend to skew my analysis to the latter at times as it is close to my work, but I still fully understand and support the former, as well.
What is there to market though?

What is there to market though?
The historic place in the pantheons of English football, especially in the context of other “historic” sides being nicknamed and used to sell their respective clubs to new supporters the world over.

As much as we may not like it (and it makes me somewhat uncomfortable at times, I will not deny it), potential consumers of the club’s product (the football, as a brand) abroad are generally more interested in pedigree than passion, so something like the “Centurions” moniker (and a “dynasty” to hopefully come after) is one of the most effective (and, funny enough, affective) means to gain their attention.

The drop-in Saturday games I organise here in Boston, for instance, are full of Americans (and people from many other non-European countries including China and India) that gained concrete awareness of Real, Barcelona, Arsenal, and United after watching a Real/Barca dynasty review program, an Invincibles documentary, or a ‘Class of 92’ ESPN feature (production and airing likely paid for by United), which lead to them having an interest in watching (often requiring great effort or expense) Real, Barca, Arsenal, and United matches, which over time lead to developing an affinity with the club. Some of them to the point that they now purchase quite a lot of club merchandise and make yearly “pilgrimages” to watch a game or two (the holy grail, as it were, for most clubs attempting to grow their global market share; I know Manchester and London do not mind that conversion, either). They may have nominally known that each club existed, as they were interested in football generally, but their viewing of those exalting features was often what drove them to learn more about, and eventually “support”, the club.

Our club is most definitely working to attract and convert those football fans that have not yet developed an affinity for a specific club, and one of the best ways of doing that in American, Asian, African, and Indian markets is to emphasise success as part of the “brand”. The “Centurions” moniker, however cringe to us, is a supremely elegant method of demonstrating those traits that most attract those football fans.

As I said before, many would argue this is what is wrong with the modern game, and I am not sure I could really argue against that sentiment. However, it is the state of things and the club have to play the game (and well) if we want to continue to grow and further our dominance, as much of that is based on revenue, which itself is in large part based on the success of our global marketing strategies (and supremely aided by our success on the pitch, of course).

Last edited:
I didn't realise "Centurions" made some City fans cringe?! Is that true as Sebastian suggests?

I'm extremely proud of the title.

I didn't realise "Centurions" made some City fans cringe?! Is that true as Sebastian suggests?

I'm extremely proud of the title.

Even though a lot on here seem to have a very low 'cringe' threshold, I really don't think Blues have a problem with it. We achieved a great thing last year and I'm certain the management and players are very proud of it. Just think back to the scenes when Jesus popped the ball in.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.