The Centurions 93.01

I have seen very few references of Centurians when discussing City, as well. I know it takes some time for a moniker like that to take hold, but it doesn’t seem most outlets are interest in using it at all.

It will be interesting to see of the media use the term with anything like the frequency that 'treble winners' is used for united '99 or 'invincibles' for Arse '04. This achievement is at least the equal of either of them.

Obviously I know the answer already of course!

We should be shouting it from the roof tops but we are not. I'm also amazed there isn't a centurions range of merchandise to buy.

Did it actually happen?

The season looks quite impressive like this, I thought.

index.php

I expected it to be less pronounced than if the rags and scousers had done it, but I have been genuinely surprised by how little overall coverage our accomplishment has gotten. I said many times some outlets would bury it—and they have—and still many more than I foresaw also seemingly have little interest in exalting us for the many, many records we broke.

I have seen very few references of Centurians when discussing City, as well. I know it takes some time for a moniker like that to take hold, but it doesn’t seem most outlets are interest in using it at all.
The very day after we did it, it was on the sports headlines of all the major outlets. A quick google of may 14th will show you that. Then of course there is the show thus thread is about - an entire show from Sky dedicated to our achievement, called The Centurions. Immediately after the season ended talk turned to the World Cup, so when exactly in between the end of the domestic season and this very morning would there have been the opportunity and the need to talk about us with the moniker ‘The Centurions’?
It’ll be referenced at the start of the coming season and throughout, and in years to come this group of players from that campaign will be known as the centurions, just like arsenal are labelled the invincibles. Doesn’t happen over night though, and especially when there’s a World Cup to focus on.

The very day after we did it, it was on the sports headlines of all the major outlets. A quick google of may 14th will show you that. Then of course there is the show thus thread is about - an entire show from Sky dedicated to our achievement, called The Centurions. Immediately after the season ended talk turned to the World Cup, so when exactly in between the end of the domestic season and this very morning would there have been the opportunity and the need to talk about us with the moniker ‘The Centurions’?
It’ll be referenced at the start of the coming season and throughout, and in years to come this group of players from that campaign will be known as the centurions, just like arsenal are labelled the invincibles. Doesn’t happen over night though, and especially when there’s a World Cup to focus on.
There was and is plenty of opportunity, regardless of the World Cup—as testified by the rampant United, Liverpool, Real, Barca, and Bayern media coverage even during the World Cup—and of course we have been discussing the total coverage, not individual mentions (hence “less pronounced”, “very few references”, etc.).

Mine was a comment on my being surprised it was not being referenced more, even during World Cup coverage, especially in comparison to how other clubs were being discussed (sometimes literally for minutes on end by commentators during the matches).

But your post shows the varying perceptions even within our community, I suppose.

There was and is plenty of opportunity, regardless of the World Cup—as testified by the rampant United, Liverpool, Real, Barca, and Bayern media coverage even during the World Cup—and of course we have been discussing the total coverage, not individual mentions (hence “less pronounced”, “very few references”, etc.).

Mine was a comment on my being surprised it was not being referenced more, even during World Cup coverage, especially in comparison to how other clubs were being discussed (sometimes literally for minutes on end by commentators during the matches).

But your post shows the varying perceptions even within our community, I suppose.
Yet people think us and Pep get more coverage and commentary than most, especially united fans.

The article on Peps view of Klopps spending in the evening news this morning refers to us as the centurions.

I just think we should be making more of it. I remember going to the parade and noticed all the team and staff were wearing the same tee shirt. Presumed it was a Centurions but no, it was 'only one City'. Just seemed like a missed opportunity to make the most of the occasions.

Hopefully the chaps at 1894 will do us proud with a new banner.

Yet people think us and Pep get more coverage and commentary than most, especially united fans.

The article on Peps view of Klopps spending in the evening news this morning refers to us as the centurions.
Not sure presenting the views of United supporters helps your argument... ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.