The Centurions 93.01

I didn't realise "Centurions" made some City fans cringe?! Is that true as Sebastian suggests?

I'm extremely proud of the title.
Even those a lot on here seem to have a very low cringe threshold, I really don't think Blues have a problem with it. We achieved a great thing last year and I'm certain the management and players are very proud of it. Just think back to the scenes when Jesus popped the ball in.

Same here,i can't get my head around not being proud of it

I am also very proud of the accomplishment and quite like the “Centurions” moniker, as I think is shown by my comments about wanting it to be referenced more in coverage about our team (now and when discussing last season).

That said, I have heard and seen blues state that the nickname is a bit cringe or, at least, that they are slightly uncomfortable with having that sort of “branding” for the team (whether created by the club or the media). I can understand it to an extent, as we are not collectively accustomed to sort of exaltation. But I think even those blues will eventually come around.

My main point through most of the post @Cobwebcat was referencing, though, was not about the moniker itself but rather about the club wanting to capitalise on it (via branding/monetisation), which I know many more blues may be uncomfortable with, which I definitely understand.

I didn't realise "Centurions" made some City fans cringe?! Is that true as Sebastian suggests?

Not gonna lie. It reminded me of 100 year old seniors making it to that ripe old age. Not the team with 100 points. So yeah, quite cringe.

But fans can call it whatever they want. Don't bother me. I just don't call last season team by that name that's all.

The historic place in the pantheons of English football, especially in the context of other “historic” sides being nicknamed and used to sell their respective clubs to new supporters the world over.

As much as we may not like it (and it makes me somewhat uncomfortable at times, I will not deny it), potential consumers of the club’s product (the football, as a brand) abroad are generally more interested in pedigree than passion, so something like the “Centurions” moniker (and a “dynasty” to hopefully come after) is one of the most effective (and, funny enough, affective) means to gain their attention.

The drop-in Saturday games I organise here in Boston, for instance, are full of Americans (and people from many other non-European countries including China and India) that gained concrete awareness of Real, Barcelona, Arsenal, and United after watching a Real/Barca dynasty review program, an Invincibles documentary, or a ‘Class of 92’ ESPN feature (production and airing likely paid for by United), which lead to them having an interest in watching (often requiring great effort or expense) Real, Barca, Arsenal, and United matches, which over time lead to developing an affinity with the club. Some of them to the point that they now purchase quite a lot of club merchandise and make yearly “pilgrimages” to watch a game or two (the holy grail, as it were, for most clubs attempting to grow their global market share; I know Manchester and London do not mind that conversion, either). They may have nominally known that each club existed, as they were interested in football generally, but their viewing of those exalting features was often what drove them to learn more about, and eventually “support”, the club.

Our club is most definitely working to attract and convert those football fans that have not yet developed an affinity for a specific club, and one of the best ways of doing that in American, Asian, African, and Indian markets is to emphasise success as part of the “brand”. The “Centurions” moniker, however cringe to us, is a supremely elegant method of demonstrating those traits that most attract those football fans.

As I said before, many would argue this is what is wrong with the modern game, and I am not sure I could really argue against that sentiment. However, it is the state of things and the club have to play the game (and well) if we want to continue to grow and further our dominance, as much of that is based on revenue, which itself is in large part based on the success of our global marketing strategies (and supremely aided by our success on the pitch, of course).
The historic place in the pantheons of English football, especially in the context of other “historic” sides being nicknamed and used to sell their respective clubs to new supporters the world over.

As much as we may not like it (and it makes me somewhat uncomfortable at times, I will not deny it), potential consumers of the club’s product (the football, as a brand) abroad are generally more interested in pedigree than passion, so something like the “Centurions” moniker (and a “dynasty” to hopefully come after) is one of the most effective (and, funny enough, affective) means to gain their attention.

The drop-in Saturday games I organise here in Boston, for instance, are full of Americans (and people from many other non-European countries including China and India) that gained concrete awareness of Real, Barcelona, Arsenal, and United after watching a Real/Barca dynasty review program, an Invincibles documentary, or a ‘Class of 92’ ESPN feature (production and airing likely paid for by United), which lead to them having an interest in watching (often requiring great effort or expense) Real, Barca, Arsenal, and United matches, which over time lead to developing an affinity with the club. Some of them to the point that they now purchase quite a lot of club merchandise and make yearly “pilgrimages” to watch a game or two (the holy grail, as it were, for most clubs attempting to grow their global market share; I know Manchester and London do not mind that conversion, either). They may have nominally known that each club existed, as they were interested in football generally, but their viewing of those exalting features was often what drove them to learn more about, and eventually “support”, the club.

Our club is most definitely working to attract and convert those football fans that have not yet developed an affinity for a specific club, and one of the best ways of doing that in American, Asian, African, and Indian markets is to emphasise success as part of the “brand”. The “Centurions” moniker, however cringe to us, is a supremely elegant method of demonstrating those traits that most attract those football fans.

As I said before, many would argue this is what is wrong with the modern game, and I am not sure I could really argue against that sentiment. However, it is the state of things and the club have to play the game (and well) if we want to continue to grow and further our dominance, as much of that is based on revenue, which itself is in large part based on the success of our global marketing strategies (and supremely aided by our success on the pitch, of course).
What a well articulated post. I have no problem with ‘The Centurions’ as a brand. We are the only club to have ever posted 100 points to win the premier league. It is unlikely this will be bettered in our life time so it is at least as valid as ‘the invincibles’ which has lasted and stood the test of time. Nobody mocks or has a problem with that title. I think it should be a source of pride to us all as well as being a USP when attracting new fans. If the club want to market it as such it’s fair game to me.

What a well articulated post. I have no problem with ‘The Centurions’ as a brand. We are the only club to have ever posted 100 points to win the premier league. It is unlikely this will be bettered in our life time so it is at least as valid as ‘the invincibles’ which has lasted and stood the test of time. Nobody mocks or has a problem with that title. I think it should be a source of pride to us all as well as being a USP when attracting new fans. If the club want to market it as such it’s fair game to me.

City are usually all over a marketing opportunity and I’ve been surprised they didn’t have stuff ready in advance of the 100 points. Last time I looked there was only one T-shirt.

Doesn’t have to be a huge Roman Soldier just something subtle written under the crest with the year on it.

It's probably the greatest achievement of the modern era. Arsenal fans may argue (as is their right) but at the end of the day no team has ever scored as many goals or attained as many points. So let's celebrate it. Every time we refer to ourselves as CENTUR18NS we are reminding the world of our great team. So use it every chance you get.
On a side note, during the World Cup when some rag or dipper wanted to slag one of our guys -usually Sterling- I would say "show some respect - it's Centurion Sterling to you!" and refuse to discuss it with them until they used the correct title. By the end of the tournament most of the neutrals were using the prefix Centurion for the City lads (mainly on the wind-up, granted). It was agreed that Centurion Kompany was as fine a leader of warriors as there ever has been ;-)

The Centurions show on Sky is a good watch. Amazon Prime struck Gold documenting City this year. Cant wait for that one.
It should recruit a new wave of overseas fans. Shame on United not letting them in for the 'Milkgate' derby.
Hope Amazon make a bit of a deal of that

It's probably the greatest achievement of the modern era. Arsenal fans may argue (as is their right) but at the end of the day no team has ever scored as many goals or attained as many points. So let's celebrate it. Every time we refer to ourselves as CENTUR18NS we are reminding the world of our great team. So use it every chance you get.
On a side note, during the World Cup when some rag or dipper wanted to slag one of our guys -usually Sterling- I would say "show some respect - it's Centurion Sterling to you!" and refuse to discuss it with them until they used the correct title. By the end of the tournament most of the neutrals were using the prefix Centurion for the City lads (mainly on the wind-up, granted). It was agreed that Centurion Kompany was as fine a leader of warriors as there ever has been ;-)
It’s a tough one, whose is the bigger achievement. All those points and goals is phenomenal, but to go unbeaten is bloody difficult to do. Saying that you could draw every game and still be unbeaten I suppose. I remember our first defeat last season and genuinely felt gutted, then realised what an achievement it was what the arsenal did. Their fans probably acknowledge our feat in the same way though.

Din't think it makes any fans cringe, but it was last year, we start again, as champs and centurians and it will be referenced in prem history and expect comentators to refer to it when talking about the team this year but we start on 0 in 3 weeks.

The year after arsenal got the invincibles tag they were not refered to after the next season it except as a reference to that seasons team.

Books and films can be made about rhe centurian season and we can all remember, but can only use it this year to tag Peps team.

Unless we do it again :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.