The City of Manchester: Why so shunned ?

Skashion said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Can you really fly to more places from Manchester than any other airport. I struggle to believe this when Heathrow has 5 terminals
any other UK airport, yes.
I thought this had been debunked earlier in the thread.

Dubai Blue said:
Just had a look at that. It would take far more thorough information to call that a debunking. Laserblue raised fair concerns but he then didn't procede to demonstrate that those flaws meant Manchester had fewer destinations than Heathrow, simply that they might be over counting. They might have over counted and still be ahead of Heathrow.

Someone has already made the best point. Manchester is a great place to come from, but not a great place to live. This is the same with any major city in the world.

I have lived all over the city for most of my life, but as soon as I was earning a decent wage I was outta there quicker than you could say Kirsty Alsopp.

And you will find that many of the people living in lovely Cheshire, Lancashire or Derbyshire villages all come from Manchester and commute into work each day.

This is the same with London, people move there from shit places and they are into everything that is going on, attending gigs, concerts, events etc...then as they start to earn some money, and want abit of peace and quiet they start moving into the suburbs, then further and further away. By the time they are in their mid 30's they are in Hertfordshire or Hampshire, and get the train into London everyday.

Manchester has everything you could ever want, but it's better to dip in and dip out when you've had your fill.

Skashion said:
Dubai Blue said:
Just had a look at that. It would take far more thorough information to call that a debunking. Laserblue raised fair concerns but he then didn't procede to demonstrate that those flaws meant Manchester had fewer destinations than Heathrow, simply that they might be over counting. They might have over counted and still be ahead of Heathrow.
Yeah, 'debunked' was perhaps the wrong word. 'Queried' would have been better.

Anyway, Heathrow's own website quotes 193 destinations, whereas Manchester's website quotes 200-plus direct destinations, so it looks like it might be correct after all.

let the wild rumpus begin said:
Someone has already made the best point. Manchester is a great place to come from, but not a great place to live. This is the same with any major city in the world.

I have lived all over the city for most of my life, but as soon as I was earning a decent wage I was outta there quicker than you could say Kirsty Alsopp.

And you will find that many of the people living in lovely Cheshire, Lancashire or Derbyshire villages all come from Manchester and commute into work each day.

This is the same with London, people move there from shit places and they are into everything that is going on, attending gigs, concerts, events etc...then as they start to earn some money, and want abit of peace and quiet they start moving into the suburbs, then further and further away. By the time they are in their mid 30's they are in Hertfordshire or Hampshire, and get the train into London everyday.

Manchester has everything you could ever want, but it's better to dip in and dip out when you've had your fill.
Or to put it another way. It's great if you're young and single, not as good once you've got a family and have to start thinking about schools and where your kids are going to learn to ride a bike and have a game of footy.

Skashion said:
let the wild rumpus begin said:

Or to put it another way. It's great if you're young and single, not as good once you've got a family and have to start thinking about schools and where your kids are going to learn to ride a bike and have a game of footy.

Which again could be said of any City. Manchester's still great!

Coming from a Born and Bred Manc all i can say is Manchester is fairly grim the further North you go. The City centre is vibrant with lots to do and some of the most beautiful A grade listed buildings in the country. Go south down Oxford/Wilmslow Rd where the Uni and Museum is and you hit Curry mile and lots of students, nice part of the City. Even further on you get leafy Didsbury and on towards Cheshire and Alderly edge where these moaning footballers live. It's about as posh and attractive an area as anywhere in the UK.

However...Go North out of the City centre up Oldham Rd, and you hit Ancoats, Miles Platting, Harphurey, Moston... and even "GASP" Newton upon the Heath. I've lived around those areas my entire life and if a top footballer saw that part of the City i wouldn't blame him for literaly running the 240 miles to London.

Historicly. Manchester is possibly the most important City in terms of discovery and inovation anywhere in the modern world. I could sit here and write out 1000 life changing inovations Manchester has pioneered. Alan Turins research into Computer science, First Railway, Rutherford splitting the atom, The birth of theIndustrial revolution. But in the end, for all of our Manchester miracles, the City itself is wet, cold and it's not going to attract those looking for a flashy lifestyle... Which probably isn't a bad thing ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.