The City of Manchester: Why so shunned ?

cvetan said:
If i were to come to Manchester one day, which places should i avoid? As in the real scummy parts because every city has those.

There's a thread somewhere about shit areas in Manchester and most of it got a mention.

There's not much to see outside the city centre anyway.

For me it's that feeling after a week in Nice, you get off the plane at Manchester Airport and look for your car between the raindrops. Listening to Stone Roses on the drive home makes up for it a little bit.

Camo Bentley said:
For me it's that feeling after a week in Nice, you get off the plane at Manchester Airport and look for your car between the raindrops. Listening to Stone Roses on the drive home makes up for it a little bit.

Same sort of thing for me. I usually am only ever to get over these days in the winter due to my job, so I leave a brown/grey/dead landscape and land in the lush green one. Taking the train back into town from the airport and listening to Elbow "Station Approach" is just magical.

acquiesce said:
Camo Bentley said:

Same sort of thing for me. I usually am only ever to get over these days in the winter due to my job, so I leave a brown/grey/dead landscape and land in the lush green one. Taking the train back into town from the airport and listening to Elbow "Station Approach" is just magical.

exactly me, also!
manchester is my home, its great to come back to an anchor point. moving away from it is not so hard, but staying away is impossible.

stimo said:
i moved to sheffield recently from manchester and i regret it hugely, i fucking love the place. strongbowholic summed it up perfectly, there is a real down to earth vibe generally throughout manchester.

mancunians are fucking cool, we know it, you know it, everybody else knows it.

Now I disagree with this. I think Yorkshire is far less pretentious and arrogant than Manchester with Sheffield in particular being a gem of a City that people overlook. Yorkshire girls are particularly friendly.

All Mancunians are cool? No chance. I grew up around some of the most unemployable, lazy, snide cretins imaginable where problem families and out of control Scalls just did as they pleased despite the trouble they caused. Crime was rife. South Manchester as a Student wasn't much better either. I just find views that Manchester is some happy go lucky, peaceful shangri-la with a wonderfully tolerant community to be so blinkered and naive.

There's the good of good and the bad of bad in Manchester. I think that's the way to look at the place.

Rascal said:
acquiesce said:
That really sums it up nicely. I've been visiting Manchester for well on 10 years now and consider it my second home. I would call it similar to the rust belt cities of the Midwest in the United States, Chicago, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh. The difference between Manchester and London is like the difference between Chicago and NYC/LA. Most notably the people are what make Manchester such a brilliant, friendly and vibrant city. There's a hard working mentality that you don't get down south. There's more of a "I've put in a good shift today, time for a pint" feel. It's more laid back and easy going, people take their time and aren't in a rush as you get in London.

And the statement about not marketing the city enough is spot on. They really are missing a trick there. All you ever hear about is London this and London that. Manchester could really pull in some major cash if they tried even a shot.

Damn I can't wait for January and my next trip over.

Thank you.

Manchester is inherently a good place, yes we have our scum but so does any city. We have had our problems but so does any city.

But we are the City that gave the world the ndustrial revolution, we are the city that inspired Marx and Engles, we are the city that supported Abraham Lincoln and his fight against slavery (fuck we are the city to have his statue) we are the city that gave us Peterloo, we are city were the suffreagettes were born. Our City has always been radical, challenging, politically charged, strong, self assured and fucking cocky as fuck. When Liverpool wanted to charge us more we built our own canal, our airport is the 15th busiest international airport in the world. You can fly to more places from Manchester than any other place in the UK.

Yes as people we can be irrevarant and sometimes rude, our humour is harsh and cutting and occasionally close to the bone, but we get us we understand us and i think we lke what we are a lot as we know we are warm and friendly people confident in what we are and what we represent.

For me its simple, im blessed, i was born and raised in the greatest City on the planet

City

There is no way on earth that Manchester is the 15th busiest airport in the World, more like 50th

blueballoon said:
Rascal said:
acquiesce said:
That really sums it up nicely. I've been visiting Manchester for well on 10 years now and consider it my second home. I would call it similar to the rust belt cities of the Midwest in the United States, Chicago, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh. The difference between Manchester and London is like the difference between Chicago and NYC/LA. Most notably the people are what make Manchester such a brilliant, friendly and vibrant city. There's a hard working mentality that you don't get down south. There's more of a "I've put in a good shift today, time for a pint" feel. It's more laid back and easy going, people take their time and aren't in a rush as you get in London.

And the statement about not marketing the city enough is spot on. They really are missing a trick there. All you ever hear about is London this and London that. Manchester could really pull in some major cash if they tried even a shot.

Damn I can't wait for January and my next trip over.

Thank you.

Manchester is inherently a good place, yes we have our scum but so does any city. We have had our problems but so does any city.

But we are the City that gave the world the ndustrial revolution, we are the city that inspired Marx and Engles, we are the city that supported Abraham Lincoln and his fight against slavery (fuck we are the city to have his statue) we are the city that gave us Peterloo, we are city were the suffreagettes were born. Our City has always been radical, challenging, politically charged, strong, self assured and fucking cocky as fuck. When Liverpool wanted to charge us more we built our own canal, our airport is the 15th busiest international airport in the world. You can fly to more places from Manchester than any other place in the UK.

Yes as people we can be irrevarant and sometimes rude, our humour is harsh and cutting and occasionally close to the bone, but we get us we understand us and i think we lke what we are a lot as we know we are warm and friendly people confident in what we are and what we represent.

For me its simple, im blessed, i was born and raised in the greatest City on the planet

City

There is no way on earth that Manchester is the 15th busiest airport in the World, more like 50th
Its not even in the top 75

Manchester is 30th busiest in the world for international passengers, which is pretty good going. Only the United States (Miami), Germany (Munich), Spain (Barcelona), Italy (Milan), had busier second-city airports for international passengers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.