The Conservative Party

I think it's more a product of why people go into politics nowadays. I don't doubt some want to help but many I think are in it for the personal benefits and what comes afterwards. I don't think the EU has anything really to do with it, we had MEP's and well I don't really know what they did, very few could even name their MEP.

Just as an example, the MP where I used to live was a solicitor before she became an MP. She came into politics I think around 2015, did 4 years and then didn't stand in 2019. She now has an OBE and is a non-executive director for the water regulator OFWAT. So thanks to 4 years of work where she did nothing for the area she's now probably earning stupid money for very little work, no doubt again whilst also moonlighting in another job.

Personally I think the solution is simple, double their salary and ban second jobs, ban 3rd party gifts and ban any other nonsense that you can't believe is even allowed in a modern democracy. Make these changes and watch what happens, half of this lot wouldn't touch the job with a bargepole but maybe we'd get a very different type of people.
Good points but I think since local gov is where most start their paid career maybe the previous unpaid councillers were more representative of their constituency and certainly gave variety should they be lected as MPs.
Whatever the Party they seem cloned and don't seem to need whips to vote as instructed.

I think it's more a product of why people go into politics nowadays. I don't doubt some want to help but many I think are in it for the personal benefits and what comes afterwards. I don't think the EU has anything really to do with it, we had MEP's and well I don't really know what they did, very few could even name their MEP.

Just as an example, the MP where I used to live was a solicitor before she became an MP. She came into politics I think around 2015, did 4 years and then didn't stand in 2019. She now has an OBE and is a non-executive director for the water regulator OFWAT. So thanks to 4 years of work where she did nothing for the area she's now probably earning stupid money for very little work, no doubt again whilst also moonlighting in another job.

Personally I think the solution is simple, double their salary and ban second jobs, ban 3rd party gifts and ban any other nonsense that you can't believe is even allowed in a modern democracy. Make these changes and watch what happens, half of this lot wouldn't touch the job with a bargepole but maybe we'd get a very different type of people.

I work in the housebuilding game and we often used PR consultants to assist in what is a very political industry. We're at the mercy of local councillors when it comes to sites being approved at committee etc. These PR consultants give you an insight into what the MPs are like. They send fee quotes for £20k to do what is essentially desk-based research that I could do in 10 minutes. They then throw in an invitation to Royal Ascot. This seems to be successful as people keep paying them. I stopped when one told me he was "best mates" with the Chair of the planning committee before being unable to tell me their name.

These people have their fingers in a lot of pies and float from event to event, getting paid to do fuck all but having a diary full of names and pretending they can influence. After time they probably have enough dirt on people to be able to get where they want to. It's just a game of who you know and what dirt you have on them. Boris is clear evidence of this. He's a clueless fucking idiot but has played a game with the public, who initially adored him and now see him for the clown he's always been. But whoever replaces him will very likely be very similar but we can only hope with enough of a moral grounding to not repeatedly fucking lie and to fall on their sword when things have gone too far.

I find it incredibly depressing that there are still millions, probably a majority of the country, that will vote for this shower of shite in the next elections.
Only in England, not Scotland, not Wales, and not Northern Ireland, which does make you wonder about the mentality in England. Even there, in 2019, the Conservatives gathered only 47.2% of the available votes. The system rewards and encourages incompetence, and the sooner it is overhauled the better.

‘Uhm ah we believe that uhm ah the economy uhm ah is uhm ah robust and that it‘s foreign pressures uhm ah that are holding us back…’

They’re on borrowed time so it’ll be time for more borrowing.

My TV was down this morning, but that's pretty much what I was expecting.
He seems to be a terrible speaker when not having a script.

My TV was down this morning, but that's pretty much what I was expecting.
He seems to be a terrible speaker when not having a script.
Lucky you.

I fully appreciate that English is not his first language and that he has had difficulties, but as you point out sans script he is not an inspiring public speaker and is positively painful to listen to when interviewed.

It is quite normal for Ministers to have no fundamental understanding of their brief. They are there to represent *you* not to be expert. This is why they *ought* to rely on the advice of civil servants who *do* understand the workings of the department.

Whether this is the best way to run a country is another matter. But how could you ever be sure that the Chancellor of the Exchequer (for example) was an economist? The only way would be to directly elect him, choosing from a list of qualified people. That would be very radical, in terms of the 'constitution.' I myself would favour it, but in a country where people are suspicious of even such obvious reforms as PR voting, it's a non-starter.

That's precisely how it should work.
The politician says "this is what I want" and the civil service work out the "how",

It breaks down when the "want" is insane/impossible/illegal, and insisted on anyway.

Lucky you.

I fully appreciate that English is not his first language and that he has had difficulties, but as you point out sans script he is not an inspiring public speaker and is positively painful to listen to when interviewed.

He came here in the 70s and ran YouGov, didn't he? It's strange that he just seems unable to make sentences off the cuff.
Johnson of course also rarely completes sentences when he can veer off to other things.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.