The Conservative Party

The problem is that the significant tax cuts only effect those with very high incomes who are relatively small in number and plenty of which will simply stash their windfall away.

The more modest tax cuts awarded to the lower income tax payers who are larger in number and far more likely to spend any surplus will be more than eaten up by the increased bills everyone is facing..

Kwarteng's policy cannot therefore stimulate the economy.

They need to actually do something that really helps the majority in society who are struggling. How about cutting tax altogether for anyone earning less than £20,000 a year in pay or pensions? I'm sure a couple of pence extra on the very rich could pay for it and they'd hardly notice it. The idea that this extra money those at the top are benefitted from will trickle down is ludicrous. Also making it more appealing for businesses to invest here again doesn't help those at the bottom. They'll just open more businesses paying minimum wages which helps nobody as there's an abundance of those jobs already out there.

They need to actually do something that really helps the majority in society who are struggling. How about cutting tax altogether for anyone earning less than £20,000 a year in pay or pensions? I'm sure a couple of pence extra on the very rich could pay for it and they'd hardly notice it. The idea that this extra money those at the top are benefitted from will trickle down is ludicrous. Also making it more appealing for businesses to invest here again doesn't help those at the bottom. They'll just open more businesses paying minimum wages which helps nobody as there's an abundance of those jobs already out there.
Broadly I agree, and I have long argued - even on here - for a simpler tax system where no-one on less than about £20k should pay any tax at all. But I do not agree about the trickle down bit. More companies investing in the UK means more tax revenues, more employment and tax revenues from that, and if there are labour shortages, higher wages too. You cannot say that more inward investment into the UK would be anything other than a good thing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.