The Conservative Party

Ignore what? I didn't even see it - still haven't. I am not on here 24x7 you know, and funnily enough I am not "following" you either.

EDIT: I have just searched for your posts and still don't see any challenge nor any post requesting a reply. Your last reply to me was you making a statement, which requires no response.
Ignore what? I didn't even see it - still haven't. I am not on here 24x7 you know, and funnily enough I am not "following" you either.

EDIT: I have just searched for your posts and still don't see any challenge nor any post requesting a reply. Your last reply to me was you making a statement, which requires no response.
Message #23128.

What makes you think that this is going to work?

Do you know more than the experts and lets face it the market that has tanked over this un costed budget?
Putting aside that a 2% drop is hardly "tanked", in fact it's not more than a normal daily swing as happens many, many times a year, I don't know more than experts, but I do know that there's historical examples of tax cuts turning economies around, as per Cowperthwaite's transforms of Hong Kong; Reagan's in the US.

Putting aside that a 2% drop is hardly "tanked", in fact it's not more than a normal daily swing as happens many, many times a year, I don't know more than experts, but I do know that there's historical examples of tax cuts turning economies around, as per Cowperthwaite's transforms of Hong Kong; Reagan's in the US.

The problem is that the significant tax cuts only effect those with very high incomes who are relatively small in number and plenty of which will simply stash their windfall away.

The more modest tax cuts awarded to the lower income tax payers who are larger in number and far more likely to spend any surplus will be more than eaten up by the increased bills everyone is facing..

Kwarteng's policy cannot therefore stimulate the economy.

Ronald Reagan's economic legacy was the US's largest ever national debt.

It wasn't his tax cuts that boosted the economy, it was the fact he ran the biggest national deficit in history.

It also saw the biggest growth in income inequality in US history, the number of people below the poverty line changed 0% and real wages dropped every single year.

I don't think anyone has been taught about Reaganomics being a wonderful thing since the late 1990's which is a problem for us because that's when most Tory MP's did their PPE.

Last edited:
What you don't seem to understand is that modern capitalism is not that espoused by Adam Smith and his invisible hand.
Modern capitalism is monopoly capitalism where increasingly large corporations dominate the market and set the rules of the game by influencing government policy.
It's also increasingly a rentier rather than a productive form of capitalism so a completely different situation to that which HK found itself in many years ago.
So the sceptics can ignore it having been a huge success then. Well how convenient.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.