The Conservative Party

I think, and apologies if I've misunderstood @shemnel , that we are talking about people having short memories and being mugged off with a situation that's less bad than it was, not a net improvement.

Given their track record, I'm looking at it a bit like this...say I have a detached house and someone burns it down. They say to me 'don't worry, I'll sort things out, I'm going to rebuild it and it'll be better'. So for two years I live in a skip and eventually they turn round and say 'here you go I've rebuilt it, it looks fantastic'. But when I turn up to move back in, though it looks quite nice, it turns out it's not actually a detached house any more, it's been converted into two semis. I then find out that only one is for me because whilst I was in the skip they gave the other semi to one of their mates, who is now busy generating rental profits off it. At this point am I grateful for no longer having to live in a skip and having a nice semi detached house or do I kick the living shit out of the bastard for burning my house down and giving me back half of what I had?
This is a fucking fantastic analogy, top class:)

The headlines in the FT are suggesting that Shell (and presumably other oil/gas companies) are expecting to pay more tax in the near future. Interestingly the shares of Shell and BP are up by around 5% and 3% respectively, far outperforming most of the rest of the market today. Seems Truss got it wrong (again) when she was adamant that a windfall tax would impact investment in these companies. Looks like the market thinks differently.
How did we end up with these completely clueless idiots running the country?
People are generally thick as fuck. They get the leaders they deserve.

I've been saying for years that people should have to sit a policy exam and take an intelligence test before they're allowed to vote.

The public didn't vote for Truss of course, but they did (overwhelmingly) vote for Johnson, whose incompetence led to her getting the job in the first place.

Mind you he was up against a doddery old fruit loop.

I've been saying for years that people should have to sit a policy exam and take an intelligence test before they're allowed to vote.

The public didn't vote for Truss of course, but they did (overwhelmingly) vote for Johnson, whose incompetence led to her getting the job in the first place.

In many ways you make the case for the opposite - maybe before they can stand for elections would-be politicians should sit an exam and take an intelligence test?

I think, and apologies if I've misunderstood @shemnel , that we are talking about people having short memories and being mugged off with a situation that's less bad than it was, not a net improvement.

Given their track record, I'm looking at it a bit like this...say I have a detached house and someone burns it down. They say to me 'don't worry, I'll sort things out, I'm going to rebuild it and it'll be better'. So for two years I live in a skip and eventually they turn round and say 'here you go I've rebuilt it, it looks fantastic'. But when I turn up to move back in, though it looks quite nice, it turns out it's not actually a detached house any more, it's been converted into two semis. I then find out that only one is for me because whilst I was in the skip they gave the other semi to one of their mates, who is now busy generating rental profits off it. At this point am I grateful for no longer having to live in a skip and having a nice semi detached house or do I kick the living shit out of the bastard for burning my house down and giving me back half of what I had?
Sounds a bit like colonisation or plantation. Some people never got over it until they took the land back.

If you do that for the electorate then you would have to do a fit and proper to run for office, test for anyone seeking a vote.

They are already promoting apathy amongst the electorate as a way of succeeding in your current FPTP system.

The more people that vote the better, not the other way around.

This is a fucking fantastic analogy, top class:)

I just hope that (a) when the time comes enough of us choose the knee to the nutsack option and (b) in the interim they desist from dousing our skip in petrol and lobbing matches into it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.