The Conservative Party

Am i missing something, he says the income tax/ni thresholds frozen until 2028 but what taxes are going up now then?
In real terms the threshold comes down if it stays the same for 6 years, so everyone pays more.

The budget was not as bad as expected. The 9.7% rise in the minimum wage is positive after a large rise this year.

I am at a loss, did I miss something this morning. Was this budget a 'budget for growth'? If so what were the growth details? All I am able to see are tax hikes and public spending cuts. How will these grow the economy?

Confirmed announcements:

• The threshold for the Additional Rate band (45% marginal rate) of income tax is being reduced from £150,000 to £125,000.
  • Other tax bands to be frozen until April 2028
  • Dividend allowance to be cut from £2k to £1k from April 2024, then £500 from April 2025
  • The Capital Gains exempt amount is dropping from £12,400 to £6k next year, then £3k from April 2024
  • Electric vehicles to be subject to VED from April 2025
  • Windfall tax on energy producers up to 35% (currently 25%) from 1st January, to last until March 2028
  • A temporary levy on electricity generators of 45% from 1st January
  • Stamp duty cuts remain until March 2025
  • Defence budget to be maintained at at least 2% of GDP to be consistent with our NATO commitment
  • £3.3bn extra to the NHS, £2.8bn extra for schools, £2.8bn extra for social care.
  • A new nuclear plant at Sizewell C to go ahead
  • Target to reduce energy consumption by 15% by 2030
  • Energy Price Guarantee to be continued for a further 12 months from April with a new price cap of £3k/year for the average household
  • Social rent increases capped at 7% in 2023-24
  • National Living Wage to increase by 9.7% from April 2023 (the new hourly rate will be £10.42)
  • The State Pension and means-tested benefits (including Universal Credit and Pensions Credit) to rise in line with inflation (by 10.1%)
  • Target to reduce energy consumption by 15% by 2030
This seems impossible if we’re all supposed to move to electric cars.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.