The Conservative Party

Electrification is more about carbon net zero than improving journey times.
I understand that.
It is my belief that carbon net zero is unattainable given the demands of our western lifestyle.
If government was really committed to that ideal, the use of public transport would be encouraged and fares would be dramatically reduced to encourage people to use it.
Fewer and longer length trains would improve service consistency by reducing the number of staff (drivers and guards) required to operate it too.

• Target to reduce energy consumption by 15% by 2030
This seems impossible if we’re all supposed to move to electric cars.
That target is for buildings and industry to reduce consumption by 15%. I would say many have already met that target pretty easily through for example offices going to WFH.

But, WFH means local economies collapse as no-one is spending outside the office.....

Action on climate change is an impossible and pointless discussion unless it involves choosing suffering.

That target is for buildings and industry to reduce consumption by 15%. I would say many have already met that target pretty easily through for example offices going to WFH.

But, WFH means local economies collapse as no-one is spending outside the office.....

Action on climate change is an impossible and pointless discussion unless it involves choosing suffering.
Or necessity being the catalyst for invention…

The high street is changing. If it means osome corporate landlords go bust, then that’s no bad thing.

Instead of office workers going to Pret or Subway at lunchtime, they’ll Deliveroo it to their houses.

The Conservatives will constantly grasp at things such as ‘fastest-growing’, when all that really means is the UK enjoying a spurt before slowing down again and being overtaken by everyone else. Figures such as those from the OBR are much less welcome, and the Government will refute them, but this is the price the U.K. must now pay for England voting the way it did (and not just once).

Everyone pays car tax from 2025, the 2015 Summer Statement said mine would not change (from zero) as long as I kept it. There is no detail, but Electric and Hybrid will also have to pay.

Council Tax can now be put up as high as 5% from just under 3% (however if you are in a lower tier it will only apply to the upper tie, but it is about 75% goes upper anyway).

Under the Energy Price Guarantee being less generous, average bills are expected to go up £500 PA

Triple Lock for Pensions honoured, up with inflation as well as working age benefits.

Benefit cap raised 10.1%, the first rise since it was lowered at the end of 2016.

Support for Mortgage Interest goes back to 13 weeks to qualify as in the last recession from 39 (remains a loan rather than a grant which it was).

As well as the tax threshold freezes, and 92p/9.7% rise in min wage PH, that is my main take on how it directly affects people.

I understand that.
It is my belief that carbon net zero is unattainable given the demands of our western lifestyle.
If government was really committed to that ideal, the use of public transport would be encouraged and fares would be dramatically reduced to encourage people to use it.
Fewer and longer length trains would improve service consistency by reducing the number of staff (drivers and guards) required to operate it too.
Don’t worry they will make up a carbon calculator that shows it’s net zero and ignores all the embedded carbon in all the stuff we import.
As regards encouragement, I think the plan seems to be to tax people such that they are forced to use public transport by making it impossible for the average working person to be able to afford to run a car.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.