The Curious Case of Dele Alli | Emotional Overlap interview (p 19)

Fair play to Deli. Not his biggest fan but he is brave here coming out with the addiction and the trauma sustained in his past.

For his sake, I hope he can move on now and become a better player. His form nosedived but in saying that he must have been mentally ok for a few years when he looked a top player so that interesting in its self.

Deli is not a city player so I don’t really have an feelings about him as a player. Anyone who tries to overcome past or present trauma should be applauded. Neville did ok in that interview. Still a fucking rat.

But again it just stats with not much more to it. He cannot dictate the game compared to the likes of Yaya Toure, Kevin De Brune, Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes. His nasty streak went un-punished for nearly of his Spurs career. Good luck for getting his life back on track but maybe it is for the best to get away from Professional Football and concentrate on getting that help.

I can't think of many situations where the best thing for a 26 year old to do is walk away from a job that'll pay him £5-10m a year for the next 10 years.

Also, football obviously isn't the issue here, it's childhood trauma. Football is what got him out of his awful childhood and it's almost certainly where all of his support system is.

Footballing wise I think you're being unfair - KDB couldn't dictate a game when he was 23 (How old Dele was when things went off the tracks), Foden can't do it now, it's something that comes to players as they get older. He was as promising a midfield talent as England have produced in the last 15 years.

I can't think of many situations where the best thing for a 26 year old to do is walk away from a job that'll pay him £5-10m a year for the next 10 years.

Also, football obviously isn't the issue here, it's childhood trauma. Football is what got him out of his awful childhood and it's almost certainly where all of his support system is.

Footballing wise I think you're being unfair - KDB couldn't dictate a game when he was 23 (How old Dele was when things went off the tracks), Foden can't do it now, it's something that comes to players as they get older. He was as promising a midfield talent as England have produced in the last 15 years.
At Werder Bremen and Wolfsburg De Bruyne was and even in his first season at City he was doing the same at a very young age. He further improved at City. Alli isn't totally shit but he isn't supremely talented either.

Last edited:
Credit to him for openly talking about his struggles, even if it was apparently forced by the gutter press. That wouldn’t have been easy.

I will say, though, based on things I have read, seen, and heard about his behaviour over the last few years, I think a few may be giving him a bit too much leniency. That is not to say empathy is in order for the hardships he has endured or that they don’t in some way explain some of his behaviour. As others have said—and I have I stated many times—you never know what is going on in another person’s head. Mental illness can cause all manner of oddities when observing from the outside. And he should be given support in his attempts to gain control and better his life.

But that doesn’t excuse a person of all responsibility for their decisions and actions.

He and I had a somewhat similar childhood, unfortunately, but had obviously different paths in adulthood that lead to different issues. We both have mental health disorders (and attempted suicide), though, I have been able to avoid addiction, apart from some behaviours with OCD. Who knows if that would have been the case had I been suddenly thrust in to the world of global celebrity. And I now have a progressive, degenerative disease that means I struggle to move and may see me pass before my son reaches an age where he’ll remember me at all. I will admit I have suicidal ideations often now, for fairly obvious reasons.

And I know many other people that have had childhoods similar to mine and his—and who also struggle with mental health issues and severe disease in adulthood—that have lead relatively upstanding lives. And a few that have done some very questionable things (my father being one of them, to put it mildly). Most didn’t have to endure the perils of fame, mind, so that is something to consider.

But, ultimately, we shouldn’t use a person’s mental health and tough upbringing to absolve them of agency and responsibility. That is similar to the crazies in the US that blame gun violence solely on mental health. It devalues the efforts of those that have struggled with similar challenges and haven’t acted in negative or dangerous ways.

I genuinely hope he is now on a path of healing, is able to find more peace in his life and profession, and manages to right the ship. He is deserving of support for those efforts and he definitely has mine. But he is still responsible for everything he has done and will do, as all adults are, regardless of the possible explanations.

So I will reserve judgment on whether he becomes someone I will admire.

I hope he does. Though, I may not be around to see it.
Take care mate.
Truly sorry to hear what you've had to endure both past and present.

Your strength of character is incredible, and puts all this football malarkey into perspective.

I always thought this guy was just a bit of a clown tbh. Very grim interview this, he was clearly doing all that to mask some deep trauma. Poor lad.

Hope he's over the worst of it and and gets himself back on track.

Hmm. I wrote an empathic post earlier and got a like from @BlueHammer85 which is worrying, so I should probably say something in balance.

I always thought Alli behaved like a ****. We are learning his childhood provides some context for this, but doesn't really excuse it. I will have to see whether, after finding peace within himself (if he has finally done that as we all hope), he still behaves like a **** or not. We will see I suppose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.