The Dark Side of The Moon

Seosa said:
MCFC BOB said:
I'm glad to see you're getting into Pink Floyd. Some of their stuff was self-indulgent, pretentious pisstwaddle, but between 1968-1979 when they had their "best line-up".

My musical taste is developing all the time, its just gone totally nuclear since about October of last year.
You should listen to an album called Tago Mago by Can. It's often mentioned in the same breath as Pink Floyd's best work but hasn't really been given the commercial publicisation that it apparently deserves. It's often considered to be one of the most influential rock albums of all time, with John Lydon, Jim Reid and a few other rock legends citing it as one of their major influences.

Re Young; I appreciate his work but I seem to prefer the covers, I.e when Entwistle did Cinnamon Girl and when Noel Gallagher did Hey Hey My My.

Re BOB: I will do, best thing to do is to listen to full albums on YouTube and then take a punt in physical form if its worth it. I did that with FJ McMahon's album but it gets repetitive, hence I didn't bother buying.

Seosa said:
Now, I recently posted Pink Floyd as one of my choices on the "Bands You Don't Get" thread, but as with Radiohead, I eventually gave in and went to find out what the fuss was about. Hence I listened to this album flat out last night and realised why its hyped to the level it is.

So, where does it rank for the 'Mooners?

You weren't around in 1988 were you ?

Challenger1978 said:
Seosa said:
Now, I recently posted Pink Floyd as one of my choices on the "Bands You Don't Get" thread, but as with Radiohead, I eventually gave in and went to find out what the fuss was about. Hence I listened to this album flat out last night and realised why its hyped to the level it is.

Correct, please expand.

Seosa said:
Challenger1978 said:
Seosa said:

Correct, please expand.

Because Pink Floyds concert in 1988 at main road is legendary. A large chunk of Manchester got to hear that concert as it was so bloody loud. Seriously I could here that concert clear as anything in Clayton (John Heywood street the top end) and I've been told you could here it in Newton Heath to.

EDIT: Newton Heath or Moston I can't remember witch.

Challenger1978 said:
Seosa said:
Challenger1978 said:

Correct, please expand.

Because Pink Floyds concert in 1988 at main road is legendary. A large chunk of Manchester got to hear that concert as it was so bloody loud. Seriously I could here that concert clear as anything in Clayton (John Heywood street the top end) and I've been told you could here it in Newton Heath to.

Here you go:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mm2nJLKK8Y[/youtube]

Seosa said:
Challenger1978 said:
Seosa said:
Correct, please expand.

Here you go:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mm2nJLKK8Y[/youtube]

Already watch it because of this thread, I'm currently listening to the setlist.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pink-floyd/1988/maine-road-manchester-england-3bd76478.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pink-floy ... 76478.html</a>

Click play on the first song and enjoy.

Main Road!!!! Pink Floyd, like MCFC, never played at Main Road but I saw them play at Maine Road in 1988.

DSOTM is their finest work and one of the classic rock albums but my favourite Floyd album is Wish You Were Here.

The best Pink Floyd albums in my opinion are:

The Wall
Animals
Wish You Were Here.

Dark Side of the Moon is also great of course, and I personally love Obscured By Clouds and The Final Cut. Also The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but that is a different era of the band. I would say go out and buy The Wall and consume yourself in it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.