The death of VAR

Thats the last thing they want to happen, having to explain their working out on live tv!!!!

Scott (VAR): Fucking hell Mossy don’t make it to obvious yeah?

Moss (Panting): Its a clear pen why are we reviewing it?

Scott: Because it fucking isn’t! It’s a red for our guy in reality. Did you see it or has the near cardiac blinded you? There’s better ways to do what we’re told. This is gonna be a shitshow. Old Mother will be pissed.

Moss: So what are you doing. Reversing it?

Scott: How can I reverse that you fat fuck? We’re gonna let the sky lads rabbit on to keep up the tension. When I say Penalty make the signal you useless dollop of lard.

Moss: Ok.

Scott: Penalty.

The end of the season has been going as well as it could so far, albeit in this strange context of playing behind closed doors. Our Centurion records remain unbeaten by the Dippers who were given a footballing lesson and spanked 4-0 at the Etihad, and UEFA's "evidence" has been found wanting by three independent adjudicators and we have been exonerated from the accusations made against us.

The appeal to CAS shows the importance that if you want to get decisions right, any appeal or review process should be truly independent of those that made the initial judgement. It's no good the same bunch of cronies reviewing the decisions of their mates and expecting anything other than a bugger's muddle at best and at worst a breeding ground for corruption.

And that brings me back to the issue of VAR because this review process really should be root and branch reformed or done away with altogether because it is ruining the game we all love. Last night was yet another example as the Rags again benefitted from the failure to review a very legitimate shout for a Palace penalty at 0-0 and then a forensic examination of a very marginal offside call to rule out a Palace equalising goal.

Unfortunately I doubt VAR will be scrapped so a few suggestions for reform:

- A separate body under separate leadership and specific training of video referees
- Reviews are instigated by team managers or captains. Each team has up to two reviews per game, keeping a review if successful and losing it if wrong. Same as cricket.
- Reviews are for clear and obvious errors only so only one minute allowed for a review.

The ludicrous handball law could also do with a re-write, and the offside law should perhaps be amended to benefit the attacking player so that if any part of the attacker's body is level with the last defender then he is considered onside.

I’m really not sure VAR is close to death. The powers that be are rubbing their hands in disbelief that they can manipulate and impact the outcomes of games so blatantly and media just sit back and watch. We are seeing ‘clear and obvious’ corruption unfold on our screens on a nightly basis. I know on-field refs make errors - they are human but the VAR refs are reviewing things from a few angles and still getting it ‘wrong‘ - or maybe that’s ‘right’ depending upon who’s paying you to make the decisions. The United penalty at Villa was criminal and Scott and Moss should be hung out to dry for that. The game changed on that decision and it was noticeable how VAR tried to make up for its error by disallowing a goal against Villa in the next game at Palace - another horrendous decision. Unfortunately VAR is here to stay and with the money involved in the game it’ll only get more biased and incompetent until someone with influence has the guts to call it out. It’s cheating and corruption- plain and simple.

I don’t know why this is even a discussion.

we all know very well how it is being used in games to help certain clubs. It’s actually a really clever way of effecting the outcomes of games and I would have thought even more susceptible to betting syndicate exploitation......

I expect next season will be no different than this, certain clubs will continue to benefit and certain others will continue to be on the wrong side of ‘marginal’ decisions.

we all know very well how it is being used in games to help certain clubs. It’s actually a really clever way of effecting the outcomes of games and I would have thought even more susceptible to betting syndicate exploitation......

I expect next season will be no different than this, certain clubs will continue to benefit and certain others will continue to be on the wrong side of ‘marginal’ decisions.

The strategic plan will pick its next money spinning name out of the hat and VAR will weave its murky magic.

My money is on Utd.

Makes you wonder why the police are not carrying out an investigation?

For me part of the problem is also the inconsistency in the way the rules are being applied. I mentioned the Trent Arnold handball at Anfield which directly lead to them scoring. An incident where a handball resulted in a goal being scored which would in all likleyhood not have happened if the handball had not occurred. Yesterday Foden is fouled and falls to the ground and the ball brushes his arm but the slight contact clearly has no influence on the direction or outcome and it is ruled handball and the goal disallowed. Its beyond comprehension that one handball is deemed acceptable and the other not. Firstly its down to the incompetency of the officials, there is clearly no accountability either so they think they are doing a good job when clearly they are not. How PL managers retain their calm I have no idea. Why there isn't a mass compliant and a downing of tools by the participants until the standard is raised I have no idea.

Unfortunately, the people operating the system are more than happy with this level of understanding! The fact that ALL goals preceded by the ball hitting a player's arm disallows the goal isn't applied universally. It is this variation that makes people think that there are, as with the LotG since time immemorial, different levels of VAR, depending on what outcome is preferable. If it was a matter of law, as in the stuff that gets bandied around courtrooms, what has happened historically sets the precedent. I think we were the first to suffer the notion of 'ball hitting arm means no goal', and someway down the line the VAR shed wallah is looking for the most forensic, infinitesimal bit of daylight so that he can award the goal, and the shirt colour of the scorer is often the element that sways the decision,

They really need to either scrap it completely, give it full transparency or have it used by competent officials else, they will drive away the backbone of support that have for generations, paid money to watch this beautiful game.

I genuinely believe they know it has been used corruptly to try and get Red teams higher than their ability warrants, but they now have a very fine wire as to how long they allow it to continue.

A complete shake up throughout all the footballing authorities is urgently needed to protect this sport

They really need to either scrap it completely, give it full transparency or have it used by competent officials else, they will drive away the backbone of support that have for generations, paid money to watch this beautiful game.

I genuinely believe they know it has been used corruptly to try and get Red teams higher than their ability warrants, but they now have a very fine wire as to how long they allow it to continue.

A complete shake up throughout all the footballing authorities is urgently needed to protect this sport

All they need to do is give written reasoning for their decisions.

That would fix 99.9% of the issues.

Because there is no way a referee is going to put down on paper that he saw Alexander-Arnold run in at pace, lunge off his feet with studs up and connect with Sako's shin after getting nowhere near the ball but thought it wasn't a red card because he just didn't.

As soon as they have to explain their decisions, they will be forced to make decisions which hold up to scrutiny.

The fact that it is 2020 and a multi-billion pound industry is decided by 20 fat middle aged men with zero accountability or oversight is insane. Missing out on the CL, or getting relegated because of a VAR decision will cost owners north of £100,000,000 and they don't get any explanation of why it happened.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.