The Death Penalty.

if you did have the Death penalty, then do it quick! not like here in M.D. We have three convicted felons on death row for years! the latest to be posponed is due to the leathel injuction being cruel!
'Fry'em' I say! and quickly :)
Don't waste Tax payers dollars by keeping them alive in comfort when poor folks who live honestley struggle! Also my tax dollars being spent on a defense lawyer whom keeps winning an appeal against the conviction which drags out for years!
FRY'EM!

C_T_I_D said:
Their plan is not to get caught otherwise they would not do it.

That's the point I was making...

C_T_I_D said:
I also think it may be a deterrent in terms of 'oh god, if I get caught for this, I'm brown bread' though. It'd certainly concern me.

That's the problem.

No planned attacks involve getting caught, surely? That makes the punishment irrelevant as it won't change their mind.

In the case of unplanned attacks, I'm not convinced that someone's thought process would involve the 'if I get caught' aspect. Then again, would you give them the death penalty for a heat of the moment crime?

The only people I see it would act as a deterrent for are the people that wouldn't commit crimes anyway.

Capital punishment clearly wasn't a deterrent as people still continued to murder others even when they knew they would get put to death if caught & convicted. Therefore it can only be really regarded as legal revenge, based on the biblical injunction of "an eye for an eye".

But the literal taking of a life for a life was not what was meant by that expression. It was meant to signify compensation rather than revenge.

If you take two murderers - Ruth Ellis & Ian Brady - then most people (presuming they were not wholly opposed to the death penalty) would say that the former shouldn't have hung but the latter should. But both deliberately set out to kill their victims, albeit one was a very personal attack whereas the other was not. So how do you draw the line? Neither were right in the head so you can't use that.

citybhoy said:
mackenzie, theres no danger of them ever reintroducing the death penalty. I always get pissed off with this manslaughter law. If some arsehole smacks someone who subsequently cracks their head off the pavement and dies then its not murder, cause he didnt really mean it? I find it hard to come to terms with that law. Going off topic a wee bit I know but its not realistic to even consider capital punishment in this country now.

I think we are agreeing citybhoy. The lines are difficult to draw and I think that is why the death penalty will not be reintroduced. As the post above this one shows...Ruth Ellis and Ian Brady. Quite a massive difference there but with the same result, the loss of human life. And both with intent.

However, the example you use could be changed to some arsehole takes on an innocent bystander and subsequently finds he has picked on the wrong one, gets knocked to the floor and dies. No real premeditiated intent on the part of the bystander but he DID deliberatley knock him to the floor and was responsible for said arsehole's death.

And there's the rub.....hell of a decision to bring back Capital Punishment in those circumstances if you say a Life for a Life. I just think it's that very premise that would have to be dropped...and I doubt that any Government will ever be brave (or stupid enough if you look at it that way) to bring anything like it back.

I'm all for reeducation in some cases and tougher sentences in others (dependant on the nature of the crime obviously)..........but CP? No way will they bring it back.

mackenzie said:
citybhoy said:
mackenzie, theres no danger of them ever reintroducing the death penalty. I always get pissed off with this manslaughter law. If some arsehole smacks someone who subsequently cracks their head off the pavement and dies then its not murder, cause he didnt really mean it? I find it hard to come to terms with that law. Going off topic a wee bit I know but its not realistic to even consider capital punishment in this country now.

I think we are agreeing citybhoy. The lines are difficult to draw and I think that is why the death penalty will not be reintroduced. As the post above this one shows...Ruth Ellis and Ian Brady. Quite a massive difference there but with the same result, the loss of human life. And both with intent.

Funnily enough when I first saw the post the first name that sprung to mind was Bentley, and I see you mentioned him also. I would like to think that kind of mistake couldnt possibly happen in this day and age but who's to say.? I work for the prosecution side of the law and have done for 15 years, its made me a right cynical caaant and Im seriously thinking of pissing off out of it. Ive always kind of made a half-hearted argument in favour of capital punishment but having just read Poko's FRY EM rant I dont know . Makes you feel feckin dirty. Its an argument that wont go away but Im convinced it will never return here.

citybhoy said:
mackenzie said:
citybhoy said:

Funnily enough when I first saw the post the first name that sprung to mind was Bentley, and I see you mentioned him also. I would like to think that kind of mistake couldnt possibly happen in this day and age but who's to say.? I work for the prosecution side of the law and have done for 15 years, its made me a right cynical caaant and Im seriously thinking of pissing off out of it. Ive always kind of made a half-hearted argument in favour of capital punishment but having just read Poko's FRY EM rant I dont know . Makes you feel feckin dirty. Its an argument that wont go away but Im convinced it will never return here.
Sorry, just edited/added to the post you are quoting, as you were posting. ;-)

I agree. I remember a relation (who lived through those days) talking about Bentley, and she had such sadness when she spoke of him. I too would hope that could never happen again, but as you say it is doubtful that it would ever be reintroduced again anyway.

Pocomoke blue said:
if you did have the Death penalty, then do it quick! not like here in M.D. We have three convicted felons on death row for years! the latest to be posponed is due to the leathel injuction being cruel!
'Fry'em' I say! and quickly :)
Don't waste Tax payers dollars by keeping them alive in comfort when poor folks who live honestley struggle! Also my tax dollars being spent on a defense lawyer whom keeps winning an appeal against the conviction which drags out for years!
FRY'EM!

Yes,you Yanks have really got this crime thing under control,haven't you?
The day we look to you neo-con rednecks for the solution is a sad day indeed.
Your country has one of the highest murder rates,per capita,in the civilised world.
Frying 'em,and your imbecile presidents cowboy approach to law and order,has been a roaring success,hasn't it?
And the fact that the US has executed AT LEAST 100 innocent people;(surprise,surprise most of them black),in the last 100 years.
So you can put me down as a "no",then.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Your country has one of the highest murder rates,per capita,in the civilised world.
Frying 'em,and your imbecile presidents cowboy approach to law and order,has been a roaring success,hasn't it?
And the fact that the US has executed AT LEAST 100 innocent people;(surprise,surprise most of them black),in the last 100 years.

What an extremely cuntish and stupidly sweeping, stereotypical statement to make.

Oh god NF, don't go near the "To catch a Predator" thread unless you want more profound insight from Pocomoke blue.

Stay away!!! I'm warning you!

GStar said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:

What an extremely cuntish and stupidly sweeping, stereotypical statement to make.

Exactly which part of this statement do you take issue with,US murder rates;(much higher than ours),that the president is an imbecile,or that innocent people have been wrongly executed?
These aren't sweeping and stereotypical statements.
They are facts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.