The Double

It is still worth celebrating and marking - even of it has become more common place in the last 30 years than it was until 1971.

Here is the full list - borrowed from Wikipedia

In England, eight teams have won the double of the Football League First Division (1888–1992)/Premier League (1992–present) and FA Cup.

There's the next target then (after next saturday). Try to pull level with the gruesome twosome. To be frank, our record in the FA Cup since we were founded 15 years ago is a bit meh, isn't it? Don't get me wrong; three wins in 15 years isn't bad. Along with that defeat we don't mention. But it does seem low compared to the other two domestic trophies. I realise we've binned it off a few times, bigger fish to fry, and all that. But I'm from an era when the FA Cup final was the big day of the season. It ranked higher in "glamour" than the league back then. And I love to see our captain lifting it aloft in the royal box in Brent.

Next season we could win 7 trophies (Premier League, Champions League, Super Cup, World Club Cup, FA Cup, League Cup, Community Shield).

I know some will say the other trophies are mickey mouse cups but any trophy is still worth winning. Tottenham and Harry Kane would do anything just have a trophy.
There’s no such thing as a Micky Mouse cup. Every single trophy is great to win, major or minor. I hate it when fans of any club belittle the winning of any trophy.

I used to celebrate when United ever lost things like the Community Shield or UEFA Super Cup, never mind when City do or ever will win them.

I’d even love to win the UEFA Europa Conference whenever we may be in it in the next few decades (which will be inevitable because we won’t always be at the top). Especially now that competition exists, no football club in Europe has won every trophy like United and Chelsea songs mention. I want to be the first club to have won the lot.

So I will be celebrating like mad if we win the UEFA Super Cup and FIFA World Club Cup next season… especially since that would mean we’ve won the Champions League!

From what I can gather, only eight teams in history have won the league/FA cup double.

Arsenal and Rags have each won it three times. We are on our own behind them with two. The other five have won it once each.

There's the next target then (after next saturday). Try to pull level with the gruesome twosome. To be frank, our record in the FA Cup since we were founded 15 years ago is a bit meh, isn't it? Don't get me wrong; three wins in 15 years isn't bad. Along with that defeat we don't mention. But it does seem low compared to the other two domestic trophies. I realise we've binned it off a few times, bigger fish to fry, and all that. But I'm from an era when the FA Cup final was the big day of the season. It ranked higher in "glamour" than the league back then. And I love to see our captain lifting it aloft in the royal box in Brent.
Yes it is a target and a good one to have - but our experiences over the last few years show hard it is to do. I don't think we have binned it - semi-finalists every years since 2019. But those semi-finals come at tricky times when you are still competing in 3 competitions and in Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool we came across teams against whom playing weakened sides made the task harder. This year we benefited from playing Sheffield United in the semi-final - we were good enough to make changes and beat them. Winning cups is as much about the draw you get and what else is going on, as turning up and winning on the day.

With the very real possibility we will become European Champions and treble winners on Saturday,the chat has somewhat lost touch with the fact that we have just completed the Double,a feat few clubs could ever imagine doing......and yet we have managed this incredible achievement twice in the past 5 years.

So....if the worst happens on Saturday night.....lets not underestimate what an amazing season this will have been regardless - one the Dippers,Arsenal,Chelsea and those rag cunts can only dream of!
Btw our 1st double was a treble

City beat United at Wembley in the sunshine to win the double.

Imagine reading that phrase 15/20/30 years ago. That’s without even adding “with the treble still to play for”.
Just talking about that with my friend. The greatest mind altering drugs known to man could not have imagined that scenario as we stood at Port Vale watching the blues almost literally mud sliding into Div 2

It is still worth celebrating and marking - even of it has become more common place in the last 30 years than it was until 1971.

Here is the full list - borrowed from Wikipedia

In England, eight teams have won the double of the Football League First Division (1888–1992)/Premier League (1992–present) and FA Cup.

Oh look, Liverpool have only done the double once. But let’s not talk about that. ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.