The downside to the internet

The downside to me is it gives low lives the freedom to be as nasty and as abusive as they want to be. The picture of the girl from the apprentice at the swimming pool - all the comments underneath that article were about how fat or ugly she looked, the common cases where kids are taking there lives because some people feel important being a 'Internet troll' ... Even the England match threads piss me off, doesn't matter what the selection is, or score its the same old cliches 'were shit' 'Hodgson is a c@nt' 'Rooney is bla bla bla ' - same reason I would never read a west ham match day page and it breeds its way into the fans who turn up with a negative feeling. There the main downsides to me , other than that the Internet is a amazing invention and were lucky to have it in our life time.

oldhamblue said:
Putting your PC on in the morning to check your emails, and 3 hours later after a tour of lobstertube, spankwire and xhamster, you've still not checked your emails. You're still sat in your boxers, holding a sock that has turned into plaster of Paris, feeling ashamed and disgusted with yourself, wondering what you're doing with your life. THATS what's wrong with the internet. Or so my mate says ...

I never said I felt ashamed and disgusted.

I can go a few weeks without it on holiday but my normal everyday life would be pretty fucked without the internet.

mcfc-mark said:
The worst thing for me is the state of social ineptitude seen sometimes due to access of instant information. Groups of people sat in the boozer, all on their phones tapping away as if in some kind of virtual isolation, looking up only to take a sip of their pint, or share some bullshit fact they've just found with the rest of the smartphone massive. It's a load of bollocks really, especially when your having a debate about football for example- you'd say a player scored 15 goals in a season and then your mate (who has never watched a game or taken any interest in football) will whip out an iPhone and smugly proceed to tell you that it was infact 17 goals per game, with 5 assists, 2384 yards travelled per game and then show you a picture of said player with his fucking cat. That's my issue with smartphones, they make the village idiot look like Einstein at times.

my thoughts exactly, random unsubstantiated general knowledge, that you heard somewhere is no longer taken as gospel, because google debunks it ruins the mystique of drunken fact finding. I kid you not was in Gullivers after a game and a mate needed some information about something so asked on facebook, didn't bring the question to the table though the lad sat next to him new what he needed and replied rather than just telling him, same I was in pub last weekend and there was a table of people playing candy crush, not talking to each other at all. but I blame simple texting for the birth of this when people lost the ability of using phones to speak to each other I still answer a text by calling people back,

But without the internet I would not be able the skype relatives in Thailand and family when on holiday

Gavmcfc88 said:
Online gambling! Just too easy to waste my money. Been off work for 3 weeks for shutdown and it's all I've done. Can't wait to get back Monday.
very easy to spend a lot of money buying stuff on the internet.

mcfc-mark said:
The worst thing for me is the state of social ineptitude seen sometimes due to access of instant information. Groups of people sat in the boozer, all on their phones tapping away as if in some kind of virtual isolation, looking up only to take a sip of their pint, or share some bullshit fact they've just found with the rest of the smartphone massive. It's a load of bollocks really, especially when your having a debate about football for example- you'd say a player scored 15 goals in a season and then your mate (who has never watched a game or taken any interest in football) will whip out an iPhone and smugly proceed to tell you that it was infact 17 goals per game, with 5 assists, 2384 yards travelled per game and then show you a picture of said player with his fucking cat. That's my issue with smartphones, they make the village idiot look like Einstein at times.
Annoys the hell out of me that, guy at work does it a lot. Trying to have a chat about which player is better or some other random football topic and he will start googling things to back himself up, of course he just cherry picks the stuff that means he's right but I can't be bothered trying to google counter arguments because then it becomes a google off and not a fucking chat.
Its funny when he starts googling but he finds I am right.

sometimes googling whilst you are chatting is fine, if for example you are both/all not sure on something, like was an actor in some movie or who scored that goal, but are all curious and want to know then fine google it.

mcfc-mark said:

Agree with this. I was out last night for a few drinks and i noticed table after table of "friends" not speaking to each other, there faces illuminated by the glow of their iphone. It was pretty depressing really to see, people dont talk as much anymore.

the instant info at everyones fingertips has made the majority of people impatient.

its also made people more cruel, nasty etc... but i think that is linked into the boom of reality tv shows and panel shows like x factor and big brother, where everyone is hyper critical and judgemental.

especially since the advent of social media people think its ok to say what they want without any ramifications.

made people less talkative/interactive in a face to face way. like has been said, on a night out everyone is sat glued to their phones instead of interacting for real.

also having such vast amounts of info at fingertips has led many people to think they are masters in all sorts of fields.

i work with the public forgive the rant

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.