The elephant in the room is Ya Ya Toure

Didsbury Dave said:
Andouble said:
He wouldn't be a DM, and he wouldn't be an AM, he'd be an out and out CM. And he'd be one of the best in the league.

I actually agree with that - his best position would be a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 or even old-school 4-5-1. Like United played at the weekend, and Hughes used to play in his last season.

But I can't see Mancini playing anything other than "The Mancini" - 4-2-3-1 (with too large a gap between the 2 and the 3 and too small a gap between the 4 and the 2)

In reality we solved that "gap" problem for most of the last couple of months of the season but it was back at the weekend.

I'd have to think the 'too large of a gap between the 2 and the 3' would be resolved if Nasri, Silva, and Aguero are taking up 3 of the possible 4 spots. All comfortable with the ball at their feet and dribbling with it. Yaya has shown on occasion he can make the nice long pass, and with 3 ball carriers like the ones I listed it will/should overall make the team more fluid.

Didsbury Dave said:
SWP's back said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I actually agree with that - his best position would be a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 or even old-school 4-5-1. Like United played at the weekend, and Hughes used to play in his last season.

But I can't see Mancini playing anything other than "The Mancini" - 4-2-3-1 (with too large a gap between the 2 and the 3 and too small a gap between the 4 and the 2)

In reality we solved that "gap" problem for most of the last couple of months of the season but it was back at the weekend.

The very definition of reactionary.

As the week before there was no gap. In your own words no less.

One week great, one week not. All of it didn't matter as it was preseason and a time to tinker. We were also playing the best side in the country.

Let's wait and see eh?>

Reactionary? It's a totally balanced comment to say

In reality we solved that "gap" problem for most of the last couple of months of the season but it was back at the weekend

What matters is the league, but you use the higher profile freindlies to guage how we're progressing..

Oh, and I think we are the best side on the country now Nasri's coming, not Man United. I think we're a better team of players and we have a better squad.
Perhaps the best 11 on the field but you cannot buy what Fergie adds to the Utd team in terms of mentality bred throughout the team. There is no way Mancini can add that without the years of sustained success that Utd have had. I would imagine that any player immediately feels 6 inches taller walking out to train at their Carrington for the first time. There is no reason why that won't happen here, but it will take time.

Andouble said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Andouble said:
He wouldn't be a DM, and he wouldn't be an AM, he'd be an out and out CM. And he'd be one of the best in the league.

I'd have to think the 'too large of a gap between the 2 and the 3' would be resolved if Nasri, Silva, and Aguero are taking up 3 of the possible 4 spots. All comfortable with the ball at their feet and dribbling with it. Yaya has shown on occasion he can make the nice long pass, and with 3 ball carriers like the ones I listed it will/should overall make the team more fluid.

That's my hope too. I think we did resolve that intermittant problem last year. It seems to rear it's head whenever a good team put us under pressure and I was disappointed to see it again at the weekend. However I don't expect us to play as badly as that for a long long time.

Andouble said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Andouble said:

I wouldn't disagree with a word of that. I would think Silva, Nasri and Aguero will make an incredibly fluid 3 and stop much of the static build up play we were shown on Sunday.

SWP's back said:
Perhaps the best 11 on the field but you cannot buy what Fergie adds to the Utd team in terms of mentality bred throughout the team.

Oh yes you can

But we'll leave that until it's neccessary.

Hopefully it won't be ;-)

Didsbury Dave said:
SWP's back said:
Perhaps the best 11 on the field but you cannot buy what Fergie adds to the Utd team in terms of mentality bred throughout the team.

Oh yes you can

But we'll leave that until it's neccessary.

Hopefully it won't be ;-)

Haha. I know what you do there.

Haven't had chance to read the thread but imo we played a slightly different formation in the first half on Sunday, only switching to the familiar 4-2-3-1 when Barry came on.

Nige played on his own in front of the back 4 with both Yaya and Milner ahead of him, sort of a 4-1-4-1 - whether it didn't work was because of Yaya's position was hard to read seeing as Milner had such a poor game.

I certainly don't see Yaya playing the advanced, in behind the striker role this season - he will either be centre mid or alongside Nige sitting deep.

Depends what room you're in. In my room the Elephants will be Dzeko, Milner, Barry and Balotelli if we signed both Nasri and Sneijder (which we won't anyway).

Whoever we sign and whatever we play, Yaya will be playing.

jay_mcfc said:
Depends what room you're in. In my room the Elephants will be Dzeko, Milner, Barry and Balotelli if we signed both Nasri and Sneijder (which we won't anyway).

Whoever we sign and whatever we play, Yaya will be playing.

I'm guessing you don't know the meaning of the (admittedly trite) saying "elephant in the room"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.