The English Pirlo. That man from Hastings

I think he's a useful player, but getting a bit bored of people going on about him like he's world class and spouting this shit about having to appreciate football to understand what he does.

He's good at controlling the pace of the game and has a good passing range. On the other hand he often gives away silly free kicks, is pretty slow and extremely one footed. He is a good player, and will play a role in the team this year, but I'd be surprised if he starts week in week out if Nasri arrives. Player for the big games though, no doubt.

Good shout, there's a reason why he's one of the first names on the teamsheet, there will always be those who think they know better than mancini, but obv can't be taken seriously.

Wouldn't go so far as to compare him with Pirlo but he is the most underrated player in our team and I also think he was excellent on Monday and indeed many times last season. I think he just suffers from a lack of understanding by some.

Obviously he will never do anything 'spectacular' like Silva, etc. But that is not what he will ever be. And yes he is not fast but unfortunately in England players with a bit of pace seem to automatically be rated ahead of those without regardless of what they actually add to a team (see Theo Walcott).

southern muppet said:
Gareth%20Barry%20derby.ashx

It's a thread about the enigma that is Gareth Barry. Why do so many people seem to not 'get' him and how can the opinion of what seems at times like a fairly healthy majority of football fans (including a lot of our own) be so out of sync with those of top international coaches like Capello, Mancini and Eriksson?

Do you have to have a more refined appreciation of football to appreciate Barry? His passing accuracy, his usually unflappable cool and his footballing brain? Is it simply because he doesn't usually do anything spectacular?

It's not like he's just picked because of a lack of options. We have rather a lot of money in case it'd escaped anyone's notice, and England while an overrated team (i.e as a unit) could hardly be called lacking in midfield quality. Capello continues to go against the usual script of ingrained pro-United bias in the English footballing establishment to pick him over Carrick, and Mancini when asked by a journalist about Sir Joseph Barton's comments on Gareth said ''Joey Barton is a good player...but Gareth Barry, Gareth Barry is a fantastic player''

I have a gut feeling, just a sneaking suspicion, that he will still be at this club as we start to talk about his possibly impending retirement in three or four seasons time. He's already showing himself to be bombproof at the richest club in the world.

So could it be...that's he's just a little bit better than the majority seem to give him credit for?

Spot on. He is the silent weapon. He is underestimated by many a team. His value is only apparant when he is not playing...on those occasions we have struggled to break up play AND pass the ball out to the front men. I am not saying he will play every game with the squad we have but those who moan about him don't appreciate the finer points of the game!

We all saw the difference he makes in the community shield and also the way he brought together and captained a young team to demolish the Airtricity XI.

Most people assume it is he who will be dropped when Nasri joins, on current form it can't be. (I imagine De Jong)

He is a good player. A very very good play as a matter of fact and he deserves more credit than he receives on here..

However if you are going to brand him the English Pirlo then he needs to believe in himself more and make those Pirlo passes!! Even Charlie Adams is closer to Pirlo than Gaz!

When was the last tyime Gaz gave a 30 yard pass to the flanks or switched sides with a beauty of a pass and so on??

I enjoy watching him play.He does the simple things very well and is also a more powerful player than some give him credit for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.