The English Pirlo. That man from Hastings

Damocles said:
BlueGun said:
leighton said:
This has to be some sort of piss take. To compare Barry and Pirlo is just madness. Barry is not good enough and wont be part of our team long term. We need better than Barry and Milner to be honest. Barry is shit hasnt done it since he has come to the club. IF Nasri signs Barry will be dropped to the Vieira role with Yaya taking his place beside De Jong.
I never rated him even when he was with Villa he has done nothing to change my mind during his time here. His forward passing is iffy to fuck. I could pass the ball side ways all the time. He has no long term future at the club and I think Mancini would be looking at getting someone into the midfield to replace both Barry and Milner in the longterm. Barry will play a bit part at the club this season if we get our targets and will more than likely be used in league cup games this season.

My thoughts exactly...

finally someone who isn't seeing through blue specs.

Like I said before, Barry and Milner are no more than squad players.

Yeah, none of you have any idea what you are talking about. Please explain what you believe Gareth Barry's role in the team is.
Kick the ball as high as he can for our #9 to win in the air.

Duh.

TFC said:
Great at what he does, and thats all we and the manager can ask of him.

What gets peoples backs up is that he could mail himself across a pitch faster than he runs. I can see him becoming a backup CB in later years.

Skashion said:
I'd rather people from the internet think I know nothing about football than think Barry's fit to lick Pirlo's boots.

They play the same position. It's a close enough comparison, nobody is saying he is as good as Pirlo. He's a far more intelligent player than Pirlo, but I'm the first to say as much.

southern muppet said:
Gareth%20Barry%20derby.ashx

It's a thread about the enigma that is Gareth Barry. Why do so many people seem to not 'get' him and how can the opinion of what seems at times like a fairly healthy majority of football fans (including a lot of our own) be so out of sync with those of top international coaches like Capello, Mancini and Eriksson?

Do you have to have a more refined appreciation of football to appreciate Barry? His passing accuracy, his usually unflappable cool and his footballing brain? Is it simply because he doesn't usually do anything spectacular?

It's not like he's just picked because of a lack of options. We have rather a lot of money in case it'd escaped anyone's notice, and England while an overrated team (i.e as a unit) could hardly be called lacking in midfield quality. Capello continues to go against the usual script of ingrained pro-United bias in the English footballing establishment to pick him over Carrick, and Mancini when asked by a journalist about Sir Joseph Barton's comments on Gareth said ''Joey Barton is a good player...but Gareth Barry, Gareth Barry is a fantastic player''

I have a gut feeling, just a sneaking suspicion, that he will still be at this club as we start to talk about his possibly impending retirement in three or four seasons time. He's already showing himself to be bombproof at the richest club in the world.

So could it be...that's he's just a little bit better than the majority seem to give him credit for?
For me Gareth Barry is the sort of player who will give you a man of the match performance one in every four games. That's a top shit player at this level. He does many things that go unnoticed and I like him.

However he isn't an athlete. I think he really struggles in the second game if we play twice in a week. He seems sluggish, his passing can be off when under pressure. I think if we can keep him at one game a week we'll get the best out of him.

Plus if the player on the opposition who is directly effecting Barry in the game (their attacking or centre mid) has pace, Barry can look a bit average as he gets skinned at times. But then if he's on form he uses his body to get inbetween the man and the ball and to shield balls brilliantly to compensate for the lack of pace.

I like Barry a lot. But as I say, we don't have to play him in every game.

ultimateharold said:
TFC said:

What gets peoples backs up is that he could mail himself across a pitch faster than he runs. I can see him becoming a backup CB in later years.

That's like Joe Hart is shit because he isn't good at shooting.

Damocles said:
ultimateharold said:
TFC said:

That's like Joe Hart is shit because he isn't good at shooting.

He is though!

I don't mind Barry though, while we're at it.

Bluemoon115 said:
Kurple said:
It's not that I don't like him, it's just that I think we're often too defensive with Barry, De Jong and Yaya playing together
Like on Monday night, when we had 28 shots.
come on. It was against Swansea.. are you denying that there has been games where we have been to defensive in the midfield? And I would just rather drop him than De Jong or Yaya. But I do think he's a very good player

Kurple said:
Bluemoon115 said:
Kurple said:
It's not that I don't like him, it's just that I think we're often too defensive with Barry, De Jong and Yaya playing together
Like on Monday night, when we had 28 shots.
come on. It was against Swansea.. are you denying that there has been games where we have been to defensive in the midfield? And I would just rather drop him than De Jong or Yaya. But I do think he's a very good player
I can think of one or maybe two games where the midfield has been the problem.

Hardly "often" now is it?

Barry isn't my favourite player. I prefer to watch players like Silva, Elano and Benarbia. However I can appreciate what Barry brings to the team. After all it is the best team that wins games not the best collection of individuals. Barry is a consistent 7 out of 10 player and you need those types of players to succeed. Like Clough said you need 3 piano tuners and 7 piano shifters to make a good side. Barry is a very good piano shifter

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.