The FTSE

The best way to invest is, and always will be, to evaluate a company through it's balance sheet. It's an ageless strategy and it does give a potential investor a framework to work on. The principle works from any company large or small and right through to your typical corner shop. It works for the individual in the same manner and is easy enough to do given that there is loads of help via the internet. While nothing can be guaranteed, an investor will acquire a rough idea of what a company's share price should be rather than just piling in because of a mad rush to get a piece of the action.
As a newbie to the stock market, I do my research online, think about what industries will likely boom in the near future then spread my bets. However what I don’t do is study financial documents like balance sheets, mostly because I have no idea where you’d get them? Are they open to the public?

As a newbie to the stock market, I do my research online, think about what industries will likely boom in the near future then spread my bets. However what I don’t do is study financial documents like balance sheets, mostly because I have no idea where you’d get them? Are they open to the public?
Publicly-traded companies have to publish quarterly and annual reports (https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/122214/what-quarterly-report.asp), although obviously being by definition public that information doesn't give any individual investor an 'edge' in knowing what's going to boom in the future, unless they come up with a way of interpreting/acting upon that information that others haven't.

If you're just starting out and just want to see some basic information about a company's fundamentals then the London Stock Exchange website is pretty decent for UK companies. So for example if you wanted to see Tesco's fundamentals you'd go here

If you want more detail ADVFN gives you loads of ratios and other details at a glance, again this would be Tesco's

If that's not enough and you want more information, they check out Simply Wall Street. It's a bit easier on the eye than ADVFN

Also worth checking the investor relations on the company's website. I personally don't use too much more than that for research. Plenty to get your teeth into there!

I think you're pretty limited with what you get from a balance sheet. Beyond checking it's debt and a couple of ratios I don't spend much time looking at them.

If you're just starting out and just want to see some basic information about a company's fundamentals then the London Stock Exchange website is pretty decent for UK companies. So for example if you wanted to see Tesco's fundamentals you'd go here

If you want more detail ADVFN gives you loads of ratios and other details at a glance, again this would be Tesco's

If that's not enough and you want more information, they check out Simply Wall Street. It's a bit easier on the eye than ADVFN

Also worth checking the investor relations on the company's website. I personally don't use too much more than that for research. Plenty to get your teeth into there!

I think you're pretty limited with what you get from a balance sheet. Beyond checking it's debt and a couple of ratios I don't spend much time looking at them.

Thanks mate. This is really useful!

sooo you’ve got a position on Tesco. PM me the details and we can work this thread together till we hit our entry/exit price

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.