The FTSE

My pension fund plummeted by around 20% at one point due to the Covid-19 outbreak. Checked earlier and it’s recovered all losses. While I’m sure there will be plenty more dips to come, it’s still surprising to see it get back to where it was so soon as the economic outlook isn’t exactly positive.

My pension fund plummeted by around 20% at one point due to the Covid-19 outbreak. Checked earlier and it’s recovered all losses. While I’m sure there will be plenty more dips to come, it’s still surprising to see it get back to where it was so soon as the economic outlook isn’t exactly positive.

You must have plenty of technology and health and little UK exposure in your fund choice because they are the only sectors that have really done well in this.

Nice gains today. The FTSE 100 closed above 6,000.

Some big movements in TUI and Easyjet, both up over 10% in a day.

I would think that as many European countries are talking about opening borders are resuming flights in time for Summer, that would have a major impact on airline share prices. Good to see them going back up.

You must have plenty of technology and health and little UK exposure in your fund choice because they are the only sectors that have really done well in this.

Yeah, quite a bit, but it’s not just confined to those. These are the 8 funds in my portfolio:

Baillie Gifford American
First State Asia Focus
Fundsmith Equity
Legal And General Global Technology Index
Legal And General US Index
Legg Mason IF Japan Equity
Lindsell Train Global Equity
Lindsell Train Japanese Equity

Yeah, quite a bit, but it’s not just confined to those. These are the 8 funds in my portfolio:

Baillie Gifford American
First State Asia Focus
Fundsmith Equity

Fundsmith is very good, Held it for a long time and got an ISA for my daughter in it hopefully by the time she takes it it will be worth a significant amount

Baillie Gifford American
First State Asia Focus
Fundsmith Equity

Some good funds in that lot. I think the key has been avoiding the UK. The £ falling in value hasn’t helped either but has helped shore up the figures for UK investors holding overseas funds.

I have seen many examples of portfolios built around UK equity income funds and they have been absolutely hammered with their over reliance on Shell and BP.

I've been dabbling in the markets for over 40 years now with some success mixed in with some car crashes but over all I made enough to retire myself a few years earlier than most. I don't claim to be any better at it than others, maybe my modest success has come from having the ability to read and evaluate company account ratios freely available on financial websites.

Nowadays I tend to restrict my trading, if that is what it is, by buying a FTSE 100 ETF on the dips as measured by freely available charts provided by Bigcharts, and by selling off some of these buys when the FTSE rises in pictorial excess. There are no guarantees that this will work long term for the investor [or punter might be a better description] but buying low and selling high has always been the proven ambition of people who make investing a long term aim.

Some good funds in that lot. I think the key has been avoiding the UK. The £ falling in value hasn’t helped either but has helped shore up the figures for UK investors holding overseas funds.

I have seen many examples of portfolios built around UK equity income funds and they have been absolutely hammered with their over reliance on Shell and BP.

Spot on, that is why the UK markets have been hit more than their US equivalent. Some of the biggest companies on the FTSE are oil or mining companies, where as in the US it's tech companies like Amazon which are at all time highs.

RD Shell for more or less £9.50 plus div looking good now though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.