The FTSE

Rolls Royce at 96p is a great long term investment

I thought the same when I bought RBS after it had fallen by more than 60%.
That didn't end well for me!

I would only advocate investing in individual shares if you are happy to accept lots of volatility and possible loss. The upside may be great but strap yourself in, as logging on and seeing your investment down 10% in a day isn’t for the faint hearted unless it’s money you can afford to write off if the worst comes to the worst.

I would only advocate investing in individual shares if you are happy to accept lots of volatility and possible loss. The upside may be great but strap yourself in, as logging on and seeing your investment down 10% in a day isn’t for the faint hearted unless it’s money you can afford to write off if the worst comes to the worst.
Agree totally, don’t gable with money you can’t afford to lose .

I was so lucky on RBS - went in bigger than I ever have at about 90p and bailed at around 160. Over a few months.

Agree totally, don’t gable with money you can’t afford to lose .

I remember reading an article in investors chronicle about a company called Coal of Africa. A mining company with much of its work done in Angola. What could possibly go wrong? Fortunately when it went from £1 to £1.30 I took some of the profits out. It still sits in my HL account and is worth about £2 which is less than it would cost for me to sell it. It’s always a good reminder when I think about individual share investment again.

I was so lucky on RBS - went in bigger than I ever have at about 90p and bailed at around 160. Over a few months.

I once ran a seminar for Lloyds Bank staff. I spoke to one lady who had worked for the bank all her life, as had her husband. They had paid their £250 a month into sharesave accounts for around 10 years or so and the shares they held at one point were worth £250k with a 5% dividend. As the price fell, they held tight as they always had the “it cant fall any further it’s a blue chip bank” - they lost £225k of value during the banking crisis. It was a heartbreaking story as this was a couple who were not managers or anything, just savers who believed in their employer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.