The FTSE

Always wanted to get into shares. How much do you realistically need to invest to start noticing a potential return? Any tips, genuine newcomer to it all. Likely won't obviously, but always felt curious about it.
I started dabbling about six months ago using an Android app called Freetrade. Very easy to set up, and I just put in a small amount to see how it worked. Luckily, I followed a tip from here (from @Skip Donoghue) to purchase NIO. I've added a bit each month, and now I have £525 invested, with a growth of £811, so a portfolio currently worth £1336.

I'm retired and I draw from a SIPP every six months or so. I'll add a small amount to this each time I withdraw, and purchase based on recommendations from here. It is a bit of spare money from my point of view, and I can get it back at any time. The returns are better than any account, but obviously a risk, hence I only put in a small amount occasionally.

I bought into them at their IPO. I thought they were slightly overpriced at the time - I'm now up 200%.

Good work! I bought some NIO shares but didn't go for XPeng as didn't want to break the golden rule on diversification! But if I had, would probably have cashed out already and gone for some lower risk stocks having made a nice profit.

I'm very good at making money hypothetically though, and most of the shares I do own are slowly getting back to a profitable position. Rolls Royce being one.

Always wanted to get into shares. How much do you realistically need to invest to start noticing a potential return? Any tips, genuine newcomer to it all. Likely won't obviously, but always felt curious about it.
It's a big subject but one with various ways of meeting your needs depending on your personality and your circumstances. As a total novice I would suggest you buy a book such as "Investing in Shares for Dummies" by David Stevenson and Paul Mladjenovic. Unlike most other Dummies books, this one is written for the UK reader and is one of those books where you can read the entire lot or just selected chapters to suit your needs. The more you learn, the better the strategy you will develop.

@Paladin, how do the costs compare with trade 212?, these 2 apps appeared about the same time, and seem to be in competition with each other

How do you start a Crypto account? Is there an app?

Crypto makes me shudder, I do have a Coinbase account and that's been OK, invest £500 of my matched betting profit in Litecoin in late 2017 on a "tip", shot up to a value approaching £900, and is currently worth about £200.

Never has the phrase "only gamble what you can afford to lose" been more true than with Crypto

@Paladin, how do the costs compare with trade 212?, these 2 apps appeared about the same time, and seem to be in competition with each other
As far as I'm aware, there are no costs, or if there are, they are minimal. You are restricted to certain stocks though. Other stocks are reserved for subscribers, and that doesn't come cheap.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.