The gap and the benefit of a perfect start

Okay, I know I'm getting waaay ahead of myself, but have a look at the upcoming fixtures for us and our competition.

Assume we can beat West Ham & Spurs next week, followed by Newcastle at home the following week.

A Chelsea win this week paired with a win for us versus West Ham would see us 8 points ahead of Arsenal and 11 ahead of Chelsea. An Arsenal win would see us 5 ahead of them, and 14 ahead of Chelsea, effectively killing Chelsea's hopes of retaining their title.

The following week we start the weekends games with the early game against Spurs. We've had great success in the recent past over them at White Hart Lane but I think even moreso this time we are a perfect mismatch for where they are at. So lets say we beat Spurs that week. Arsenal have an extremely tricky visit to Leicester and Chelsea are away to Newcastle in the late kickoff. Anything can happen this weekend, but it would be no surprise to see someone drop at least two points. As long as it isn't us, we could see ourselves with our lead increasing on one if not both teams.

Which brings us to the week of October 4th. We've a 3pm kickoff against Newcastle at home. That should be a winnable game at home if we perform to our levels.Chelsea have a late kickoff vs Southampton, and Arsenal play the rags. So Arsenal have another tricky tie.

So looking forward at those batch of fixtures and if we can win through it's very feasible to see us pull way ahead of Chelsea, possibly 10-12 points ahead of Arsenal or even have an 8 point lead over Arsenal & United.

The next 3 fixtures for us could be season defining with this in mind. I could possibly see us coming out of them with just the rags within 5 points of us, or possibly worse.

So blues, what do you think? How do we come out of it come October 5th?

We have had a great start to the season but thats all. We will drop plenty of points over the course of the season and that could well start on Sat as West Ham are playing very well. Lets get past Christmas and into feb/March and where we are and then we can maybe start to speculate.

We have nothing to fear from premier league teams, so long as we work hard and do the right things in every game, no matter which personnel take the field for us

So let's not get ahead of ourselves, take one match at a time and let's look at the table and have this discussion after Watford on the second of Jan

Never pay much attention to the table until around november/december when it really starts to take shape, there is no way chelsea will be out of the title after six games, its a long long season. We over turned an 8 point gap in five games a few seasons ago.

Would love it we won the next four league games though ( three of which are at home) as we would be going into the derby with a 100% record and a probable gap of 8 points or more, would be a huge statement of intent.

I think the players will be really down after Juventus and I hope they can lift themselves for the game. I think Bilic will try and defend much like Juventus did and an early goal by City would be great. It's difficult to believe that West Ham won 2-0 and 3-0 at Arsenal and Liverpool respectively....their confidence must be sky high.

One game at a time.

After tuesday night, if West Ham were to score first who knows how we would react

we've had the perfect start, but now the games are coming thick and fast and with injuries and rotation there are way too many variables to predict. We have given ourselves a great platform to build on, lets hope we keep it up.

West Ham will be a harder game that people think. Bilic has made them hard to break down and they have real energy and belief this year. You also can't underestimate the mental and physical drain on the players after a very hard fought match against Juve.

I'm confident of a win but it's not unfathomable we may drop points...

Exactly, I don't think I've ever seen the planets align like this for us before in terms of how tough our opponents have it.

When you think about it, they seriously messed up their easier fixtures.

We've a tough run later on, but the damage could be done by then, IF we win the next bunch.

Just me and you then kid

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.