The gap and the benefit of a perfect start

Thaksinssoldier

Okay, I know I'm getting waaay ahead of myself, but have a look at the upcoming fixtures for us and our competition.

Assume we can beat West Ham & Spurs next week, followed by Newcastle at home the following week.

A Chelsea win this week paired with a win for us versus West Ham would see us 8 points ahead of Arsenal and 11 ahead of Chelsea. An Arsenal win would see us 5 ahead of them, and 14 ahead of Chelsea, effectively killing Chelsea's hopes of retaining their title.

The following week we start the weekends games with the early game against Spurs. We've had great success in the recent past over them at White Hart Lane but I think even moreso this time we are a perfect mismatch for where they are at. So lets say we beat Spurs that week. Arsenal have an extremely tricky visit to Leicester and Chelsea are away to Newcastle in the late kickoff. Anything can happen this weekend, but it would be no surprise to see someone drop at least two points. As long as it isn't us, we could see ourselves with our lead increasing on one if not both teams.

Which brings us to the week of October 4th. We've a 3pm kickoff against Newcastle at home. That should be a winnable game at home if we perform to our levels.Chelsea have a late kickoff vs Southampton, and Arsenal play the rags. So Arsenal have another tricky tie.

So looking forward at those batch of fixtures and if we can win through it's very feasible to see us pull way ahead of Chelsea, possibly 10-12 points ahead of Arsenal or even have an 8 point lead over Arsenal & United.

The next 3 fixtures for us could be season defining with this in mind. I could possibly see us coming out of them with just the rags within 5 points of us, or possibly worse.

So blues, what do you think? How do we come out of it come October 5th?

With so many games to come and points up for grabs it is far too early for this.
It’s only really worth looking at the gap when the number of games is dropping down and the finish line is in sight. Right now it’s like leading a marathon at the 5 mile mark.

I agree one game at a time, it's pointless getting the crystal ball out I prefer to just take it a game at a time

One game at a time is fair enough, but you can surely see my thinking IF we manage to win the next 3 games. The fixtures for our opponent have everything lining up in our favour IF we win all 3 games. Chelsea could be completely out of it. We could have a 3 game lead on Arsenal and the rags minimum.

It's a big deal so stupidly early in the season it's crazy to fathom.

I agree whole heartedly with this thread,and if you chuck in the mix fixtures after the International break we have - Bournemouth (H),Chelsea have Villa (H) whilst Arsenal are away at Watford,Rags are at Everton,so the gap could quite easily grow,and for me it's not a case of one game at a time this season,it is about forward thinking now,especially after the start we have had

As the gap grows, at what point do we start giving fringe players and youth more chances, and possibly even starts, in league play?

not until we've broken every fucking record - which means not at all because that would include going unbeaten through the season - which WON'T happen of course

I agree whole heartedly with this thread,and if you chuck in the mix fixtures after the International break we have - Bournemouth (H),Chelsea have Villa (H) whilst Arsenal are away at Watford,Rags are at Everton,so the gap could quite easily grow,and for me it's not a case of one game at a time this season,it is about forward thinking now,especially after the start we have had

Exactly, I don't think I've ever seen the planets align like this for us before in terms of how tough our opponents have it.

When you think about it, they seriously messed up their easier fixtures.

We've a tough run later on, but the damage could be done by then, IF we win the next bunch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.