The idiocy (and selfishness) of panic buying

Having been to Lidl in Prestwich village this morning I saw the full range of lunacy that seems to have taken hold of the country, people trying to buy three full chickens and 48 loo rolls only to be told sternly by the checkout staff they couldn’t have them all a few idiots were chirping and asking why? I mean for fucks sake how fucking ignorant and selfish do you have to be to ask why?

for the record I purchased 2 x duck breast, a pack of four baking potatoes, 3 mixed peppers, fresh mushrooms, two tins of their rather tasty minted lamb hotpot soup and of course red wine which was thankfully in plentiful demand

luckily for us we are often in France and stock up on things like tins confit duck and other such stuff so we are set apart from Veg if it all goes south quickly

I think it's a question of what's left.

If you went to a shop 3 weeks ago and bought 10 bags of pasta when there were 300 bags on the shelf then well done and it would be restricted in 30 minutes, you saw it coming and are well prepared - beyond what anyone will ever need.

If you went to a shop 3 days ago and bought 5 bags of pasta when there were 10 on the shelf and you know people are being left short because of panic buying then you're a twat.

I think like you after all this is over I will maintain a bigger pantry of long term foods or maybe just pay keener attention to the next epidemic in Asia and prepare early - but I'm not going to leave others unable to buy food because I've filled a shopping cart with enough beans to feed the 5000.

With you 100% on that. People wiping out shelves are scum. They must know they are denying others.
Because we have some reserves. We have reduced our shopping. Only buying fresh milk and bread/bits as needed.
The other thing we have done is buy online for some stuff. Hopefully, that relieves some pressure on the shops.

I know it not a laughing matter, but only this crisis would have people doing things they wouldn't normally do.
I got a knock at the door earlier. There stood my elderly neighbour. A bit concerned, i asked her was everything ok.
Yes, she said "Just thought i'd let you know that i've managed to get some toilet paper"...!

Last edited:
Having been to Lidl in Prestwich village this morning I saw the full range of lunacy that seems to have taken hold of the country, people trying to buy three full chickens and 48 loo rolls only to be told sternly by the checkout staff they couldn’t have them all a few idiots were chirping and asking why? I mean for fucks sake how fucking ignorant and selfish do you have to be to ask why?

for the record I purchased 2 x duck breast, a pack of four baking potatoes, 3 mixed peppers, fresh mushrooms, two tins of their rather tasty minted lamb hotpot soup and of course red wine which was thankfully in plentiful demand

luckily for us we are often in France and stock up on things like tins confit duck and other such stuff so we are set apart from Veg if it all goes south quickly
I go in that lidl at times whilst visiting family in Prestwich, I also pass through Clayton and Gorton too, and seen horrendously long queues in all, shall I mention the Elephant in the room ? Nahhhh i,d be banned. But as long as certain sections of society dont give a fuck about their host country, and people genuinely in need thats ok

@Ric can we change the title of this thread? There is no shortage!

I know its petty but it annoys me every time I see it, there is no shortage and no reason to panic buy.
I have 2 daughters who live in Nottinghill London, one is in a important position within the NHS and she is near collapse with the strain, then she cant buy a bloody meal or food when she does eventually get the chance. Theres some low intelligence and greed out there !

Milk can be frozen I guess.

My shop - all the dried pasta, tinned meats, dried pulses, nearly all frozen food, flour, sugar, etc.... People are really stocking up for a breakdown of civilisation.

I suspect a lot of it will be thrown away in a few weeks time.
How much freezer space do people have with all the bread, milk, meat, veg, burgers, sausages and frozen chips they've stripped from the supermarket shelves?

Next you'll be telling me Curry's have sold out of Chest freezers.

;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.